• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Labor Day weekend in WI

edward felcohands

Birdie Member
Thurs- work all day, then hit heistand on my way north to the family place in Mercer. Nice course, plenty of hacks throwing 2 discs with 6 people waiting, but enjoyable. This course is one that i wish i could come back and take my time on, perfect for longer ace runs. Short on time, elver was out of the way. Ran out of daylight but was able to stop at Glide which is a premier store for WI.

Fri- Start by playing Sandy Point in Lac du Flambeau, which I will say right now was the finest small ball course I have played. absolutely immaculate, plus all the bugs were killed by night temps in the 20s earlier that week. lake holes were open for the tourney on sat and sunday. AWESOME!! Contrary to my instincts, like a salmon going to his home stream, i left the comfort of that beautiful gem and swam upriver to Highbridge.
Got to highbridge, and it was strange because there was about ten cars in the lot but not a person in sight. grabbed some cards, somehow found hole 1 of blueberry hill and started. this place is almost scary to play alone. I saw more snakes than people. it was like everybody died, and as the last man on earth i chose to spend my time discing. never did see another person on that course, but it was one of the finest setups i have played, just not as immaculate as sandy point. After finishing that, I saw another human being who guided me to the start of woodland bear, which was shorter and more tightly wooded than blueberry, but even more isolated and devoid of humans. Had to stop after that to eat some home cookin with the family.

Sat+Sun- Family, ATV riding, Limit of walleyes each night with the old dad.

Monday- Booked it back south to stevens point, where i took in Yulga. True to the DGCR rating, this was an outstanding spread, very packed with foul mouthed drunks and also families with small children. Not the best combo for the future of the sport, but this course is a must if youre heading up highway 51. I wish i had time to play two rounds, but there were just too many people. So I went to Standing Rocks, which was the first full course ive played that had all rubber tees. the sandy soil made for some slips on the rubber, and i bet on a rainy day, with the steep rocky embankments off the tee boxes, they may have to wheel you out of there behind an ATV. This was yet another delight in my quest for the finest spreads in WI. the numbering is all jacked up, but i believe I played 18 holes, doesnt really matter because this place was simply beautiful. Totally worth three bucks. I wish i had time for two here, but i was tired, the sun was hangin low, and I had to be on my way.

That alarm clock this morning is lucky I am afraid to injure my throwing hand smashing it. Now i am back in SEWI, gonna have to hit up brown deer, dretzka, and maybe parkside next weekend just to try to bring my buzz down after taking in 6 new favorites in such a short time.

Dretzka Brown Deer and Parkside are all my local favorites although I cant compare to standing rocks, yulga, highbridge since I have yet to play those courses they certainly have some good holes and overall are challenging and fun. Don't discount dreztka because of the new 9 (they are an afterthought kindof and much easier than the original 18, but the do provide a place for others to play while leagues are going on)

Sounds like a blast man. I'm pretty sure all of those northern courses are on my wish list. Too bad I don't live in Wisconsin anymore (not all bad, Colorado is pretty sweet)

Oh noes! You played Standing Rocks! If that was the only course left on the entire planet I wouldn't play it. I hate that course with a passion. The crappy rubber tees and the stolen (well, it was last year) basket... not worth the $3 or whatever I paid to play it. You should've played Yulga again (different tees, of course) or shot over to Marshfield for some good courses. Not a bad weekend though.

I don't know exactly when you went to standing rocks, but as i understand it, they just reorganized and fixed it up a bit, per the sign at the parking lot. I guess diffrent strokes for diffrent folks, but i found it much more challenging and much more scenic than yulga, plus the 3 bucks is a small price to pay to get away from the crowds at yulga. this was the first time i played on rubber, aside from the few holes at brevier in waukegan that have them. overall, it seemed like they actually installed them pretty close to properly, they were not lumpy at all. not my favorite, but it beats loose woodchips 2 inches deep any day.

I spent all day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at Highbridge, so my car is surely one of the ten you saw parked in the lot that day. Actually, mine was the Camry parked sideways taking up about three spots. (passenger side window was stuck halfway down, wanted to kinda hide that from everyone's notice, so parked that side facing the embankment) I thought the same thing: ten cars, yet courses still seem empty. I was lovin that.

Its also possible my 2 friends and I ran into you at the Lodge between rounds with my purple Revo bag and ipod speakers crankin out jams. You likely heard me screaming that morning, when I aced 16 on Woodland Greens. :cool:

Hope you enjoyed Highbridge. I know I did.

i wish you could have made it to elver, its an awesome course too, but heistand is great and i'm glad you stopped at glide, nice to get more people coming to madison and spreading the good word about the courses here

I spent all day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at Highbridge, so my car is surely one of the ten you saw parked in the lot that day. Actually, mine was the Camry parked sideways taking up about three spots. (passenger side window was stuck halfway down, wanted to kinda hide that from everyone's notice, so parked that side facing the embankment) I thought the same thing: ten cars, yet courses still seem empty. I was lovin that.

Its also possible my 2 friends and I ran into you at the Lodge between rounds with my purple Revo bag and ipod speakers crankin out jams. You likely heard me screaming that morning, when I aced 16 on Woodland Greens. :cool:

Hope you enjoyed Highbridge. I know I did.

Yeah i saw that car sideways, i was the red ford ranger that parked right next to you, maybe a bit close hope you got out alright. I loved highbridge, but I was by myself and it was almost frustrating not being able to comment to anyone about how unreal the whole thing was. also wish i hadnt been so tired at the time. i dont remember any folk jammin tunes, didnt get there until about 1 pm.

Latest posts