• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] My thoughts on the D4

Threw my D4 this weekend on a hole that is approximately 500' with a low ceiling due to trees. I threw a slight anny on a hard, low line and it just held the anny line drive around all of the trees and all the way to the end where it flexed out for about another 30' of distance. When I got up to it, I was about 60' shy of the pin and absolutely dead center of the fairway, something that I had only gotten lucky to accomplish previously with a good roller!!

LOVE the D4!

has anyone found any differences in flight with the 400s plastic compared to the 400g plastic?

I have the 400s, but im thinking of trying out the 400g.

There seems to be alot of difference between the proto and production runs, i think Prodigy actually uses proto as a prototype run and tweaks things to make them closer to their ratings. My production d1 is xcaliber stable

I thought my D4 was a mis-labled D1 until I let our local 14 year old bomber who throws over 500 ft. consistently throw it and my D1 back to back. D1 had nice long fade and he flipped the D4 over with super nice S turn and it flew forever.

So I guess I do have a D4 after all... just need to power up to get it to fly correctly.

I think this is very true of the D series drivers. I have them all, some in duplicate, and all of them can be flipped. All of them fade back in the end. My farthest cranks have been 400-430ft with the D1 & D2. I am liking the D4 for straight control drives vs. max power. At max I have a hard time controlling how far right the disc goes, to the point it isn't worth throwing like that. Probably maxxed the D4 about 400ft, but it was 30 degrees right of where I was aiming for :doh:

I think this is very true of the D series drivers. I have them all, some in duplicate, and all of them can be flipped. All of them fade back in the end. My farthest cranks have been 400-430ft with the D1 & D2. I am liking the D4 for straight control drives vs. max power. At max I have a hard time controlling how far right the disc goes, to the point it isn't worth throwing like that. Probably maxxed the D4 about 400ft, but it was 30 degrees right of where I was aiming for :doh:

I can turn a decent number of discs (350-375') but my D4 and my D1 seem almost identical.

They're protos. Quite honestly just today I was considering swapping them with someone who has a non-proto D4 that flies correctly here in the Marketplace.

I swore off Prodigy because of the poor experience with the three D4s I bought (one was for the brother in law as a gift), but they *are* protos so I'd like to get a longer disc than can turn a little. My Avenger SSs are working too hard. :)

I've seen a huge difference between Proto line and the 400 line. My Proto D4 was very overstable. My 400 D4 is understable and o so nice..

I've seen a huge difference between Proto line and the 400 line. My Proto D4 was very overstable. My 400 D4 is understable and o so nice..

Good to hear, I'll have to pick up one of those. My proto wasn't what I was expecting, but the first run is how I thought it would be.

I recently picked up two production D4's and they fly completely different. One's PLH is super high and the other one flies true to what they say. They pair well with my D1 however so I ain't even mad.

I just got in a production D4 yesterday. Has huge dome (that is somewhat uneven)so I am very interested to see how it actually flies today.

I just got in a production D4 yesterday. Has huge dome (that is somewhat uneven)so I am very interested to see how it actually flies today.

Probably very similar to the production D4 I own. Not my furthest flying disc by any means but the grip of the 400 plastic has been second to none in this humid heat wave that has come through all week. I had already looked at the D4 as being my most consistent disc in terms of releases but the no-slip grip has been superb.

Thanks. So it may be a good idea to trade out my D4 Protos for a D4 production.

Probably very similar to the production D4 I own. Not my furthest flying disc by any means but the grip of the 400 plastic has been second to none in this humid heat wave that has come through all week. I had already looked at the D4 as being my most consistent disc in terms of releases but the no-slip grip has been superb.

Got to throw it in this insane heat and you were right, grip was amazing. However it is quite overstable. Even more so than my Quasar. I do like the disc but I'm not impressed with the overall quality/consistency of it.

My friend found a Proto D4 today. The Prodigy website doesn't have a working link for their drivers. I came here to figure out what kind of flight it is supposed to have and it seems like there really isn't a consensus. The one he found was really overstable, more stable than a brand new Star Boss. Is this how its supposed to be? I know someone here said that the flashing might affect the stability but I didn't really notice much on there.

All of Prodigy's discs are pretty straight. The D4 should turn some if it's thrown over 350'. There have been reports of mis stamped prodigy discs. Prodigy is also not immune to consistency issues.

I've said this in other Prodigy threads, but I'll stick it here too. Best to avoid proto and first run Prodigy. There seems to be quite a few floating around that are misslabeled. I am not entirely sure my first D1 wasn't actually a D3 as they throw very similar now. Production runs with the disc name hot stamped have been solid IME.

I am still digging my D4 drivers. Mostly hyzer flipping them to straight. I find the disc more controllable than the Innova understable drivers (probably due to the easy release rim).

Latest posts