• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mystery Boxes

sgamerp

Thanks, Dad
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
How does everyone feel about Mystery Boxes on here? I know they aren't for everyone, but I do enjoy getting some different discs and was wondering if anyone had some good experiences with any?

I currently am getting the Prodigy Club One which gives you 5 discs and some random extras (last quarter it was a Dry Fit, Over Sized Mini and a Performance Wear Hat) for 95.00. One of the discs was a "test" run and most are in cool stamps or plastic. I know Prodigy gets a lot of flack I think still, but over all I was pretty pumped with that.

I also have gotten the sockibomb boxes which are 59.99 and come with 3-4 discs and sometimes an extra. Those are better fitting for me as I throw mainly only trilogy, but probably not as good of a deal.

Mystery Boxes are hit or miss depending on what you, the buyer, is looking for. The company is basically unloading unpopular, slow selling, excess inventory packaged as a mystery box. Some companies add one special edition run you can only get in the mystery box (Discmania for example), some add swag or other extras (Prodigy and Trilogy), and some do super discounted mystery boxes with X-Outs and throw in a special plastic blend run that's hard to get otherwise (Lone Star and Infinite). As long as you are comfortable with getting however many discs knowing that you might not like or end up bagging any of them, then I see no problem with mystery boxes. If you go in with low expectations, you won't be disappointed, and who knows you might get something you love. For me, they aren't worth it because I'm pretty set on what molds I throw. But they certainly can be worth it for others.

I bought a couple DD mystery boxes a decade back, or so. There was much less of a push on "celebrity" and "vanity plastic" type discs then. I did find a couple mainstays in my bag. I still bag gold line saints, VIP underworlds and VIP Kings. I traded away some discs I did not really click with. It can be fun, but I simply DO NOT need more plastic anymore.

Never got into mystery boxes because I prefer to buy specific weights, plastics, and molds.

My impression is that they're mostly unwanted/unpopular discs being offloaded by the manufacturer/distributer. 🤷‍♂️

Never got into mystery boxes because I prefer to buy specific weights, plastics, and molds.

My impression is that they're mostly unwanted/unpopular discs being offloaded by the manufacturer/distributer. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly, there's enough mystery in how any given disc will fly.

I'm definitely not the target demographic for mystery boxes I am very picky and know exactly what I'm looking for.

I like them to do videos with, makes for a fun experience doing mystery box only rounds etc.

And things like the Gyropalooza box can be fun, especially if you agree to split it with a friend or something.

Most of the time you get some trash, but I've gotten some hits out of them too.

Mystery boxes can good if you run a leage or are doing an event/tournament and want prizes for CTPs, Rings of Fire, etc.

I'm not looking for too many more discs - especially random ones. Instead of a mystery box, I paid $100 to Gregg Barsby's Tour Support Package last year. In return, I received several Innova discs ("from his personal stash"), a Barsby trucker hat, key fob, sticker, and maybe a few other small items. I felt like the money was much better spent than sending it to a manufacturer for their remainder stock. Think about supporting favorite players, rather than just always buying stuff from manufacturers.

I ordered one Gateway premier membership box and will get it for Christmas. My wife double checked the contents and said that I will definitely like it. The Gateway premier ones also are much better than most mystery boxes, where you get special stamps or plastics and nothing that is leftover inventory.

Also, I'm not picky at all about discs, as all are useful if you throw them enough to learn them.

I'm not looking for too many more discs - especially random ones. Instead of a mystery box, I paid $100 to Gregg Barsby's Tour Support Package last year. In return, I received several Innova discs ("from his personal stash"), a Barsby trucker hat, key fob, sticker, and maybe a few other small items. I felt like the money was much better spent than sending it to a manufacturer for their remainder stock. Think about supporting favorite players, rather than just always buying stuff from manufacturers.
I considered doing this after hearing him talk about it.

I am kind of the opposite. I would much rather support the company that provides and supports my tournaments, leagues, club and area tournaments. I really have no interest in supporting celebrities.