• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

n00bs and their discs

so far I have four grooves on the way for my all groove small innova bag. I think I can fit about twelve in innovas smallest bag. yessss!!!!

I've never thrown a Groove, and only seen one once.

My first driver was a Champ Beast. I love how Innova says that it's "suitable for beginners."

When I wanted to start playing this past summer I went to Sports Authority to buy discs. All I knew is what the discs I bought said on them. Distance Driver, Mid Range, and Putter. I had no idea what I was doing. I got REALLY lucky with the discs I bought from their puny little one box selection. I got a 168g DX Valkyrie, a 180g DX Shark and a Birdie Putter. About 2 weeks later I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and saw they had a much better selection. I didnt know what the differences were. The most expensive disc there was a blue champ GROOVE. I was like sweet this must be the best disc and I bought it. Over the next 2 weeks I tried and tried and tried to throw this piece of **** disc with no success. I grew to HATE it. Eventually I was like well I'd like to try to throw a backhand roller. So I tried with the groove. The disc never even touched the ground and sailed away. Further than I could throw any other disc. This infuriated me. :wall: This disc did nothing I wanted it to do. Needless to say I traded it for a star archon which I still throw to this day :D
F* the groove.

So this got me thinking. My brother called and said he wanted to take up the sport. Should I be a good brother and line up his bag for them with the leopard, buzzz, and teebird. Or should I be a brother and suggest a destroyer for fairway, groove for putting, pro challenger for thumbing, and a zombee for tomahawks and a vp king. Figure this should buy me a few months before he surpasses me

So this got me thinking. My brother called and said he wanted to take up the sport. Should I be a good brother and line up his bag for them with the leopard, buzzz, and teebird. Or should I be a brother and suggest a destroyer for fairway, groove for putting, pro challenger for thumbing, and a zombee for tomahawks and a vp king. Figure this should buy me a few months before he surpasses me

You are just evil. :hfive:

I think Innova has played a huge joke on us all. They could make a 27 speed driver with razor blade edges, call it "beginner friendly," and stores wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

...OK, so that may be an exaggeration, but gimmicks (like the groove on the Groove) sell. Same way Quest AT can make and sell these weird specialty discs. Beginners don't know about forums, and in my honest opinion, most people you see on a course probably don't know squat about the sport. At least as far as proper disc selection is concerned.

..in my honest opinion, most people you see on a course probably don't know squat about the sport. At least as far as proper disc selection is concerned.

Sometimes, I wish I knew less about the sport, and just went out to have fun.

This was at Academy Sports. Where you can buy starter sets, and Grooves. Every time I am at Academy I check out their discs, competetive prices on base plastic. So it wasn't an evil plot to rip off beginners or to set DG back but the cards they used were from the companies that make the discs they sell.

I wasn't talking about some middleman department store. I was talking about Innova and their ilk.

had a close friend who used a Champ Ape for upshots and banged in a 200+ footer and a couple of 100ish ft putts with spike hyzers

I remember my days as a noob actually bought a groove :wall: still have it at my house, any ideas on a way to destroy it?

It's a shame that the so called King of Disc golf Innova markets a ton of discs for noobs that they shouldn't even be considering throwing. Innova has discs that a noob could throw and learn the game perfectly fine. Meanwhile lat64 probably has the best lineup for a beginner ever in the diamond,ruby,and pearl. If they could get those discs into american stores they probably wouldn't sell; and only because Innova has people convinced that you need their 12 speed discs to be good.

I did this mistake to, only my first disc was an XS. I couldn't pick a line with it really, it was more of a chuck and pray thing for me. I owned this for a while as my only disc being a cheap bastard. I uped my stock with alot of Innovas then next spring, Beasts, Wraiths and other "good beginner" distance drivers. Thats the reason why I now will gladly help anyone just starting out by giving them advice and telling them to get a mid-range straight and level disc to start with. We need more people who aren't chuckers grabbing a high speed driver as their first disc and getting into bad form.

I gave my brother six discs ranging from soft magnet buzz destroyer cheetah and a couple others. the destroyer was going 75' and hooking way off to the left. so I bought him a champ katana. its just that noobs want to see the disc go lightning fast. that's why they refuse to use buzzz or cheetah because those ate way slower and that can be equated to boring. that's why I bought him the katana so it would go a little more straight on throws. get him a mixed bag and let him decide what he wants to throw.

I remember my days as a noob actually bought a groove :wall: still have it at my house, any ideas on a way to destroy it?

put it in a mailer and send it my way for my all groove n00b bag im creating. it will find a lot of love and have a happy life fliying through the air and sometimes kissind trees trees until it drowns in the lake one day.:)

Well, I was planning on turning my Groove into a clock but maayybbee I'll go try a few more throws with it .

Or turn it into a scorecard clipboard ....

But the gun range is only a few blocks away if I change my mind !