• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

n00bs and their discs

So there I was. Standing in the aisle of a big box sporting goods store. I had just shanked a disc I had no business throwing into a huge cluster of serious thorns. This disc caught my eye. The tag said great for beginners, easy to throw, EXTRA DISTANCE EFFORTLESSLY. Oh yeah, I bought a groove. but in my defense, I bought five other discs first. :eek:

Now I am a complete convert to the school of technique. I work my midranges and when I take people to play for the first time I always put my 150 DX Leopard in their bag and no other drivers. Then when they complain about the cool drivers I'm throwing I hand them the Katana thats in my bag for this very purpose and outthrow them with a mid. :)

I just wish that I had been around when I started playing. I could have saved a lot of money and been much better than I am now.:wall:

Wow. Whoever advertised the Groove as anything other than a dinner plate should probably be shot... But to call it "great for beginners"?! There need to be some tar and feathers involved.

Played an Ice Bowl put on by a new up and coming disc golf shop and they did the whole noob thing by giving Champ Bosses as the tourney disc. Ended up with a younger kid in my group that exclusively used the tourney Boss and nothing else. We all had a blast and he constantly asked for tips and advice and ways to improve, and took it all to heart. Except he would only use that Boss, didn't wanna try anything else.

Wow. Whoever advertised the Groove as anything other than a dinner plate should probably be shot... But to call it "great for beginners"?! There need to be some tar and feathers involved.

I have an idea that it was a marketing move to advise it as "for beginners" when the DG crowd rejected it completely. That extra stock's gotta go somewhere. Not to mention the ol' tie-dyed "groove" vibe they were hoping to inflict on neo-hippies.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a buddy that carries three discs: Blizzard Boss, Champ Boss and Supercolor Buzzz (Buzzz and Champ Boss we found unmarked) guess what he putts with? Yep.

Blizzard Boss.

I have an idea that it was a marketing move to advise it as "for beginners" when the DG crowd rejected it completely. That extra stock's gotta go somewhere. Not to mention the ol' tie-dyed "groove" vibe they were hoping to inflict on neo-hippies.

This was at Academy Sports. Where you can buy starter sets, and Grooves. Every time I am at Academy I check out their discs, competetive prices on base plastic. So it wasn't an evil plot to rip off beginners or to set DG back but the cards they used were from the companies that make the discs they sell.

You all shoulda seen me a few months ago with a puzzled expression on my face after chucking 150 foot meathooks with my champion Ape: "but, its speed 13, that should go farther, right?!"

Well, maybe more like a half a year ago.

Recently, a friend of a friend was telling me he played disc golf . He only has two discs. A katana and a groove. He was telling me about how far he could throw and what not, my friend chimes in and says he really could throw far and then tells me he had actually aced the same hole twice in one week with his groove. This guy like never plays and he has more aces than I do... It makes me sad. Granted his aces were on a sub 300 foot hole but still.

an ace is an ace, no matter how big or small. im still waiting for my first ace. I was just breaking a skill plateau into good intermediate level, putts were getting super consistent and drives were going way farther and had accuracy.and I got a job. the job is over twelve hours a day six or seven days a week, so I get home eat and go to bed and do it all over again. Ithink if go to big five right now after dinner and buy the first groove I see, my luck will be noob luck and I can be happy even though I nevwr get to play anymore but twice a month. f me right? heh heh.

so there were no grooves but a few super old dye. drivers. a sweet looking 170 feldberg boss but I couldn't bring myaelf to pull the trigger. I wanted a groove. I can use all my old blizz boss and others I gave to my wife because thwy were too light.

I used to bomb grooves. Well one groove. A 167 hot pink flat one. Then I threw it in the water. I wasn't too sad.

There is an older guy that walks his dog on the course we are building
Its still very tight fairways, lots of trees and bushes
He carries 1 disc, a valk, and can only throw it about 70-90 feet
So one day, I kinda play a few holes with him
He wants to know what I am using, because it goes so straight
I said its a buzzz, and that he should try one in pro d plastic
Its cheap, and its all you should need on this course for a while
So I see him the other day and tells me he bought a buzzz, but still likes the valk better (still the only disc he uses)

Last edited:
I know I'm going to catch a little heat. I bought a Groove and I actually can ge a decent shot with it throwing RHFH. It's not a go to disc for me, but I can get a good line on it.

I know I'm going to catch a little heat. I bought a Groove and I actually can ge a decent shot with it throwing RHFH. It's not a go to disc for me, but I can get a good line on it.

Found a beefty Maroon one once that actually was really stable and flew pretty nice but always hated the feel of it just couldn't get a good grip with that damn wing... Groove gets a lot of hate but there actually are some decent runs out there-- somewhere. lol'

Yeah, I really don't have a good time with it on a BH throw, but I can get a good 250-275ft FH out of it.

My groove story starts out the same as I think anybody else's does. Just starting out, loving the game and doing research on discs on the internet looking at flight charts. Started to think I understood the Innova charts really well not realizing that the disc my be a -2 in hss but for it to act like that you have to get it moving at speed 13 which my arm was just not capable. This was after I had gotten a nuke a month or two before right after my starter pack. Luckily I bought a buzz SS and a XL so those were actually usable for my backhand. The nuke was great for FH but was a meat hook for backhands.

So I get my 175 gram Maroon Groove and am super excited that it has low stability and Bam, 100ft of the tee, tops. Okay for FH hyzers but nothing like what I was hoping for. Dyed the thundercats symbol on it and everything. So i gave it to a friend for his birthday with a 163g Force. He loves the force, havent seen that groove leave his bag yet.

I have learned my lesson and a year in am just working on form. I won't say I've disced down much cause I'm always buying new discs on a whim, but I am being smarter about what I get and leaving those dam grooves on the shelves.

I may be one of the only people I know that have never thrown a Groove.. Lol I just hate that little indent deal in the rim, feels weird and was never appealing to me. I threw my DX Cheetah/DX Shark combo for a while until I actually started getting serious about the sport. Like a lot of places, the local course in Boise has a lot of those people that only carry 2 or 3 discs.. and 1 of those discs is a high speed (10-13) driver and they're throwing it 150' and getting pissed cause it won't go any further. I remember one time this past September I was playing by myself and this group of younger teenagers (probably 15-16 years old) was behind me. I was mainly throwing my Teebird the entire round. On a hole about 360' I parked it 5 feet away from the basket.. and one of the teenagers asked me how I was throwing it so far (ego booster Lol) and I said well I'm not using super high speed drivers so I don't have to put a bunch of power in my disc for it to do what it's supposed to. They looked at me all confused, so I asked them what they were throwing. They showed me their discs (It was a group of 4 and they had a total of 6 discs between them). I remember 2 of them had a Destroyer, 1 of them had an Excalibur, and the other a Wraith. So I asked them, out of the 4 of you who throws the furthest. Surprising they said the kid who was throwing the Excal... so I handed him my decently beat DX Leopard and told him to give it a toss. So he did, and it went about 250'. They all got excited.. obviously none of them have thrown it that far before. I then told him to throw his Excal. It landed well behind the Leo. So I explained to them that the Leo is a speed 6, and the Excal is a speed 12.. so the Leopard is easier to get distance out of when you don't have a very big arm.. and that it's pointless to throw high speed drivers if you can't throw them at least 350' because you might as well be throwing much lower speeds, since you'd be getting the same result. Told the kid he could keep the DX Leopard as long as he finished the round with it. I made sure he did Lol I don't know if after that day he continued using it.. I hope so, but at least I tried.