• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Name that Shot

Now looka here son, disc golf is more derivative of ball golf than any other sport. Let's start calling our draws and fades. Anyways where's your authoritative citations.

I didnt look up or read all that crap, but isnt a scoobie when you throw the disc on its lid to slide under objects, or get a weird skip to help your lie?

That's what I leaned too, a long time ago (like 5 years !). Scoobies are upside down shots at the ground to skip under brush.

Never heard of a scoober until today.

That's what I leaned too, a long time ago (like 5 years !). Scoobies are upside down shots at the ground to skip under brush.

Never heard of a scoober until today.

I am right there with you on this one, but take it from the bird, it is a pancake shot. They are tasty and are great in the morning. You learn something every day.

No one has said touch shot yet.

I say boy, disc golf was around before freestyle.
http://www.parkcirclediscgolf.com/disc-golf-history.htm

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.
If two people are just throwing a disc back and forth and doing all sorts of trick catch variations... in essence, they'd be freestyling. Since I'm sure two or more people did this before disc golf was officially invented, I'd argue that freestyle came first... even if they weren't incorporating a nail delay.
DSCJNKY

But, then again... two other people could have had a competition to see who could hit the tree first before they ever did a trick catch and therefore, disc golf would be first.

Ahh... Who cares? It's all in good fun.
DSCJNKY

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.
If two people are just throwing a disc back and forth and doing all sorts of trick catch variations... in essence, they'd be freestyling. Since I'm sure two or more people did this before disc golf was officially invented, I'd argue that freestyle came first... even if they weren't incorporating a nail delay.
DSCJNKY

I say boy, back in prehistoric times when I was a young lad, cave men used to throw at targets to eat. Playful throwing served no help in this regard and anything they were throwing would either hurt or was heavy. Ninja's didn't say hey, let's throw our ninja stars at each other and play catch.

Not according to http://www.disclife.com/terms.shtml

They have a fancy website and stuff. What you got?

Now looka here sister, that supports what I'm saying. By their definition the pancake lands upside down(face down) and is typically thrown with less power, and what happens to a disc that lands upside down with less power...it typically slides. Any more questions? I'm a battleship gal, let's see you try to sink me!

I'm a battleship gal, let's see you try to sink me!

Wouldn't dream of it! lol

But I learned to throw a "scoobie" backhand, just holding the disc upside down. They say a pancake is an overhand shot. I wouldn't want to try and skip out from under some bushes with an overhand shot. That seems hard!

Wouldn't dream of it! lol

But I learned to throw a "scoobie" backhand, just holding the disc upside down. They say a pancake is an overhand shot. I wouldn't want to try and skip out from under some bushes with an overhand shot. That seems hard!

I say gal, it sounds like you are now describing a grenade:
"A grenade is a backhand upside down shot. Just take your regular backhand. and turn the disc over so that your thumb is under the rim. The shot is thrown anywhere from a little flat, to a steep hyzer angle, and is normally used to go up and over a tall obstacle - landing straight up and down, with backspin."
- Craigg - DGCR Consultant

Now looka here son, if you ask any disc golf world champ what a scoober is, they will tell you its a roller. The only confusion comes from Ultimate players which is a different sport.

8:50 Dave Greenwell's scoober shot:

Well definitely having world champs disseminate the information has it's clout, but that still doesn't mean the other definition is incorrect, or make it any less of a scoober shot, nor does it make it less confusing.

Also frisbees existed before discs, and frisbees were used to play disc golf back when it was just an event at a frisbee competition...so by the logic you used earlier we should be calling the disc golf version of a scoober either incorrect or something else

just something to think about.

Well definitely having world champs disseminate the information has it's clout, but that still doesn't mean the other definition is incorrect, or make it any less of a scoober shot, nor does it make it less confusing.

Also frisbees existed before discs, and frisbees were used to play disc golf back when it was just an event at a frisbee competition...so by the logic you used earlier we should be calling the disc golf version of a scoober either incorrect or something else

just something to think about.

You're wrong son. Discs existed long before frisbees...think Discus(dates back to the 5th century), and it has been recorded of people playing disc golf to targets way before people were catching frisbees. Disc golf isn't that different from Discus, at least its a lot closer than frisbee.

Also considering that Gregg Hosfeld is a well decorated freestyler and world champ disc golfer, and as his video points out what is a scoober and how it has come to mean different things, this should be an open and shut case for the logical minded.
http://freestyledisc.org/profile.jsp?profile_id=67

Disc golf and Ultimate are two different sports. Why don't you start called your fade or draw shot instead of hyzer and anhyzer?