• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC fall trip - Boone or Charlotte?

frogers911

Hello all looking for recommendations for a 5 day fall trip - 1st week of Oct. Coming from MD with a group of 6-8 players. I want to rent a nice house for the duration and am considering either Boone area or Charlotte.

I know there is a high density of good courses in Charlotte but Boone seems to have some nice places to rent and being out of the city is appealing.

I understand there are some private courses near Boone, I have searched and found some info on some threads but am trying to find out who to contact to see if we are able to play them during our visit.

Additionally I'd be willing to do a day trip from whichever location to play a couple courses.

So my questions:
Best bet Boone or Charlotte?
Contact info for Boone private courses?
Ideal central location to rent a place in Boone? in Charlotte?

I greatly appreciate any advice and look forward to visiting NC.

-Frank

I did this trip in 2013. Four days in Charlotte and one in the Boone area. I personally enjoy mountain courses and elevation and left the week wishing I could've flipped the time. There are a lot of really solid courses in Charlotte, but they're pretty flat in general. It doesn't look like there are many courses in the Boone area, but Ashe County and Sugaree was pretty much my favorite day of seven just because the courses are exactly what I love. I'm not sure I'd like to play them four days in a row though.

I'd take Boone, and play Ashe County multiple times, from the longs and shorts (which are more different than just longer and shorter). Along with other area courses.

Unless the point of the trip is to pad the courses-played list. Or you're looking for big-city nightlife.

In addition to Ashe County, which is a stellar course, with stellar views and uniqueness, I liked Highland Hills a lot and Rolling Pines looks fantastic as well. So, that's one crazy, or two normal, fun filled days. I also pmed you.

Boone - you're 90 minutes from Harmon Hills. Throw in another course in the Tri-cities, and you've got an excellent day trip. Now keep in mind, October is peak tourism season in the NC mountains. Best rentals are already booked. The longer you wait, the slimmer the pickings.

Here in Charlotte, you're playing excellent city courses. I hear Winthrop is excellent the first week of October.

All thanks very much for the responses just what I was looking for, that cabin may be booked for our dates but I will look in the surrounding area.

Just one note, with a lot of words, probably...

Boone is not that far from Charlotte. 2-hours-plus, depending on traffic. And we have a few courses with some elevation - nothing like the mountains, of course, but still. You'll get your workout in, and the scenery is pretty nice, even without ski slopes...

I haven't really seen it mentioned in here, but Camp Canaan is a weekend-only private course that is a must-play. Only 30 minutes from Charlotte, headed straight down I-77.

If I were making the plans, especially that time of year, I'd find a cool place in Charlotte, and make a day trip or two to Boone. It's an easy, pretty ride.

I think Camp Canaan may be part of U.S. Amateur Doubles that weekend.

Don't take my word---I'm not sure what the schedule is---just check before you plan to go there.

Ok, I visit and play in Boone several times a year. There are no PUBLIC courses in the imediate Boone area.

Yes, there are courses that can be played, with permission of the owners.

Heritage Farm is the new private course in town. It is adjacent to the blue ridge parkway. Beautiful. Very challenging. And, I THINK they have an AirBnB on site. I will ask them about the dates you have in mind.

OP, please as me as a facebook friend, so I can add you to the hidden group for heritage. I'm the one and only Mark Manchette last time I looked. I'll be happy to chat with you about possible courses, public and private. That area is GORGEOUS in October. I'll do what I can to help.

Mark

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but the mountains in the fall are fantastic and the courses up there are epic. Here are the ones to look at:

Ashe County (public) - haven't played it yet, but it's the #1 rated course in NC and at the top of my wish list
Ft. Hamby (public) - haven't played it yet
Rolling Pines (public) - I've played it and it's currently my only 5.0 course
Highland Hills (public) - this course has crazy elevation, but it's not as good as Rolling Pines
Blackjack (private) - that's the one in Valle Crucis with the cabin mentioned above (it's supposed to be an epic course)
Heritage Farm (private) - this is a new course in Boone (all of these others are a good 30-45 minutes from Boone); I don't know how to contact this owner, but I believe you can find it on the Highlands DG Club Facebook page

Heritage Farm owner does indeed have a place on site for guests. Not sure of how many may stay, how many beds, or what the costs are. Expect reply soon. Will let you know.

Go eat at Coyote Cafe in Boone too - great food, DG-playing staff. It's right next to the Wal-Mart if you need supplies.

I did this trip in 2013. Four days in Charlotte and one in the Boone area. I personally enjoy mountain courses and elevation and left the week wishing I could've flipped the time. There are a lot of really solid courses in Charlotte, but they're pretty flat in general. It doesn't look like there are many courses in the Boone area, but Ashe County and Sugaree was pretty much my favorite day of seven just because the courses are exactly what I love. I'm not sure I'd like to play them four days in a row though.

I'm with you, I live in Charlotte, I'm surrounded by courses, but I keep longing for the mountain courses. I belong there.

And I would also find it impossible to play more than 3 days out of every 10. The mountains are just physically exhausting to play in. I need a full week to recover after a weekend up there.

I would say Charlotte if disc golf is the focus of the trip. The Boone privates are not that easy to secure an invitation to play;and most of the Charlotte courses are public.

We are super busy getting the Christmas tree farm ready for our first shot at doing a choose and cut and emptying out my mother's house at Sugar Mountain. The farm has never looked better. Amazing what you can do without having to maintain a disc golf course.
OTOH,Jeri has retired, so there is an outside chance that Sugaree could re-open this fall in some form or another for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Latest posts