• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC

This 8x11 laminated sign is all that is needed in my opinion. Smaller versions are at most of the holes on the Elon Pro Course. You just have to look for them. I have seen reviews of Nevin (Con: no benches or trashcans) when there have been 7 benches and 7 trashcans since before the baskets were installed.

There was only 4 or 5 of those small hand-drawn signs out at Elon long when I played out there at Thanksgiving.

Also what does a review of Nevin having no benches or whatever have to do with a valid criticism (that you admit) of Elon Long?

There was only 4 or 5 of those small hand-drawn signs out at Elon long when I played out there at Thanksgiving.

Also what does a review of Nevin having no benches or whatever have to do with a valid criticism (that you admit) of Elon Long?

Just unrelated evidence that sometimes people miss what clearly is there, like maybe tee signs at Elon, but I haven't played since before thanksgiving so...maybe someone has torn them down.

@ Elon Short: Teesigns with art are fine.
@ Elon Long: Teesigns with art are annoyingly uninformative.

Holes that you can't see the basket from the tee need signs with a decent hole layout depicted on it. Holes that have more than one pin placement definitely need this info on a tee sign.

I don't understand why, especially on wooded courses, you don't just hang the tee signs up a tree out of reach if they're subject to theft. People stealing tee signs are probably just drunks and dumb kids so make it so they can't reach it w/o a ladder, like a menu at a fast food place.

You may or maynot be suprised but that doesnt even stop people. If the sign is in reach, some people just dont care...or maybe they ace the hole and keep the souvenier ... or they like damaging things.
When you put stuff up high, there are people that realize why you did it and then feel like you are challenging them. Ive found where people spent a lot of time to find and carry over logs to carefully stack up so that could reach up just to tear down a "next tee" sign and throw it on the ground right there. They didnt even keep it.
Also, when I redesigned Bailey, I marked the tee boxes with wooden stakes. Someone carefully removed all the stakes for 7 holes and then threw them in the woods in the middle of the course...why would you carry all those, while playing for that many holes just to throw them aside.

All these are unique events, but when you add them all up, writing on baskets, carving names into benches, kicking over sign posts, leaving trash, tearing up temporary frames right before pours, putting sticks in the basket to prevent people from making an Ace behind you, tearing off next signs, Mando's, drop zones, advertising, putting stickers on baskets, etc, etc, etc. Its a lot of work just to maintain that, not to mention the actual course maintenance, you get frustrated.

I dont have the patience to replace things more than a few times.

Hey Hueyman, do you see more vandalism, such as destruction of signs and benches and whatnot, at Bailey or Nevin?

Shoot, probably Bailey. Nevin is a hidden course to most vandals I would say (i.e. not really "out in the open"). Bailey seems to attract those suburban white teen vandals. But dont worry Mark; I got yo back. I am going to jump-kick the next kid I see destroying stuff out at Baileys.

And then this reply. These were the original quotes which appear to be about the short course "stupid artwork."

Man, I seem to have hurt some feelings with some strong language. The quote was obviously for the long course, as I referred to the laminated signs that were at the teepads before the art. They were way more informative than the tee signs which are in place now. I'm not saying that there definately should have been maps on the tee signs, it was Stan's choice, no biggie. My quote about "stupid artwork" is pretty much regarding the fact that this(Angry Beaver-Elon Long) is supposed to be a profesional quality course. Maybe that in itself gets out-of-towners to play it on rare occasion. I'd get really frustrated out there if I was shooting bad and didn't even have the help of a map of the hole. And yes, I know you can always print a map up from DGCR, but not everyone is a member here, actually betting you that at least 70% of the people I've seen around are not members of DGCR.

The short course's artwork, I believe, was an excellent idea. There's no reason for maps on the short course. AAMOF, a 4x4 with just the hole number would be sufficient.

Thanks! Bailey because it is tailored to the youth. I had a kid come to glow that played once...then decided to have his parents buy him 15 Innova dyed discs ($320?)... There are just a lot of rich kids that never had to care about anything. They are harmless... not like the people at Kilborne that vandalize...you can't say something to them without getting shot.

Luckly Bailey is short enough that I can clean it up pretty quickly.

Also, you can Ace every hole at Bailey. So, you are cleaning a lot of baskets.

Arik is exactly right. Nevin is a serious DG'r destination. I see less damage out there. The rec player doesnt go there when they can hit Eastway, Hornets Nest, Sugaw or Kilborne right down the street. Hole 10 Basket is a strange spot...at the end of the summer before the leaves fall I spotted at least 10 condom wrappers... Seems like an odd place for nookie...but to each their own.

NP Justin. Just the problem now is funding and labor resources. The only thing we can provide now is the laminated signs. Get my text about Idlewild?

Here is a man who feels the need to get the last word in again and again.

Maybe you should build one less course a year and use that money to make tee signs and such for the existing courses.

You know what else is frustrating? Playing an 800' hole that has no tee sign.

We promised the PDGA that we would have 17 permanent courses in Mecklenburg County for the 2012 Pro/Am worlds.

btw - played Jacksonville, Florida today and met one Lucas Biggers from NC. Wondering if anyone on here knows the name. He seemed like a real cool guy. We played a round together.

NP Justin. Just the problem now is funding and labor resources. The only thing we can provide now is the laminated signs. Get my text about Idlewild?

Yea, I understand about the signs. I'm definately not going to argue about tee signs. It is useful, but not necessary on most courses.

Got your text about Idlewild. Will be calling Rob this weekend to see what I can help out with. Its close to home, so putting in a half hour or so on most days can work. I really want to see this course go up. I haven't seen any plans for the course, so I have no idea what we're looking at, but if we're looking at something around a Kilborne/Sugaw/Nest difficulty it should be a good one that will accomodate a few different skill levels.

Latest posts