• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

So you agree then that everyone who sells dyes needs to come up with their own term for any style that has a name that was coined by someone else?

Someone somwhere invented the term Brainwave. Does that mean no one else should be allowed to use that term? The pioneers of SC dyes probably coined the term marbling for that - can we no longer use that term as well? Same thing with fly dyes, hell someone somewhere invented the term tye dye. At a certain point, when a name for something like this is used by the vast majority of the people doing it, the name become public domain imo.

I give mad props to anyone who invented the dyeing methods I now use, and I mean as little offense as possible, but I do think it petty to be so concerned about what others are calling their dyes.

If he is really so concerned he should TM it.

Well put Roggen...My sentiments exactly. Again people will choose to have a dye done by you based upon the quality of the work they have seen you do, not a stupid dye style name. Its not like its a specific product with functionality that is being replicated, its a style of art. Every individual dye comes out looking different.

Again I think Wondernut does amazing work, and he's one of the few of us that has the ability to turn this into a full time business, but I don't think it will hurt his business by others calling a dye style nebula. That of which Jeff Ash was the first to do this style anyways, hes just the first trying to coin it for himself.

Again no disrespect to Scott Helms aka Wondernut. Just my 2 cents on this since this is being debated publicly on and he has chose to contact more than one of us about this now. This will be my last post about this topic. Lets let this die (dye) guys. On to making the "spacey looking" soap dyes :thmbup:

Also, in my opinion there is a big difference between saying your dyes are the same style as his, and saying your dyes are the same as his...

THIS!!! i never once said "wonder nut nebula dyes" ****, i never even knew they guy did these... from the get go, i was respectful. i can be respectful and still have an opinion of it being petty, and then still choosing to respect the man by changing the name. I'm not sitting here calling the guy a db and a pos. he was very nice in our convo.

Last edited:
So your problem was the bed spreading out too much? I have the opposite problem my latest SC dyes the bed has barely moved at all and I end up with very defined lines when I wanted something more abstract and flowy.

In an effort to get this thread back on track, here are a bunch of pics of my last SC dye, including just the plate and the bed. I tried to use much more dye than I normally do (usually I have alot of space left the color of the disc with SC dyes). Turned out OK - I don't think its a good idea to do non-radial lines like. Making lines from the center outward with the toothpick probably would have looked cooler.

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 86
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 89
  • SC3.jpg
    SC3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 98
Some more

Attachments

• SC4.jpg
    SC4.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 106
  • SC5.jpg
    SC5.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 126
  • SC6.jpg
    SC6.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 137
...and the actual disc.

As a note - I measured it and the bed was 1/8" deep. The first pic here is about as far as the SC spread out.

Attachments

• SC7.jpg
    SC7.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 92
  • SC8.jpg
    SC8.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 195
I'm surprised at you guys tbh. He asked you politely, I imagine, to change the name of the dye you do which happens to based off something he and Jeff ash worked on and you say he is a dbag or its a dbag move?

Imagine if you created a style, you named it, your known for it, people are trying to imitate it, and then start saying their Dyes are the same as yours?

He was the guy you guys were chasing to copy him and now that you can create similar results he is petty for wanting to keep his name and have you call yours something different?

I'm glad I barely come on these forums anymore.

Whether this stirs the pot or not, I'm going to agree with this fully. Well said :clap:

I'm surprised at you guys tbh. He asked you politely, I imagine, to change the name of the dye you do which happens to based off something he and Jeff ash worked on and you say he is a dbag or its a dbag move?

Imagine if you created a style, you named it, your known for it, people are trying to imitate it, and then start saying their Dyes are the same as yours?

He was the guy you guys were chasing to copy him and now that you can create similar results he is petty for wanting to keep his name and have you call yours something different?

I'm glad I barely come on these forums anymore.

As somebody that has been trying to replicate others... and in turn trying to create my own style, I can definitely understand his request. I also have no qualms with any technique being called _____ -like. That both gives credit to the original artist and defines the type of technique. I think that it is kind of silly to have twenty different names for the same technique... and it becomes confusing to the consumer. This is why in traditional art that there are different movements (cubism, expressionism, realism...)... and then we just call it by the artist's name. If you say that something is a Wondernut... or a Jeff Ash, that commands a certin respect already.

Regardless, I think that we should be humble and respect his request.

Regardless, I think that we should be humble and respect his request.

I have to respectfully disagree. The method is not 'his' (a *lot* of people know how to do it), and the word 'nebula' is not his. Common words and widely known methods are part of the cultural commons, not private property.

I'd understand where he was coming from if someone was selling them as 'Wondernut Nebulas', but that simply isn't the case. I have a serious problem with anyone telling me that I can't use a word from normal, regular, every day English.

Keep in mind that this opinion is coming from a guy who regularly sells 'Supernova' dyes. If someone figures out how to replicate my dyes, I'm not going to stop them from using the same word I use to describe it as long as they aren't implying it came from me.

9uZAQ3dl.jpg

I just posted one of my new dyes up on my facebook site.... check it out. I was pretty damn impressed.

I can't reach it from where I am at currently. Somebody can throw up a link or the pic if they want to.

I just posted one of my new dyes up on my facebook site.... check it out. I was pretty damn impressed.

I can't reach it from where I am at currently. Somebody can throw up a link or the pic if they want to.

Was one of them that Stingray? That looks great! If you don't mind me asking, what type of dye was it? - it's so bright!

Ya the stingray came out pretty awesome. Dye was using the pylam dye for the bright colors and RIT for the darker colors. I guess I never realized before how important it is to add some darker colors to make the bright colors pop.

I need to take pics of the others to post them. I will try to do that later... but the stingray was definitely my favorite.

That looks very close to the same design that I was doing last year... except that your lines are very thin and crisp... nice job there. :hfive:

Thanks! I'm using iDye instead of Punky Colour, so they won't fade after a few weeks of sun exposure like most PC Brainwaves do. :D

Thanks! I'm using iDye instead of Punky Colour, so they won't fade after a few weeks of sun exposure like most PC Brainwaves do. :D

I had discovered the same thing.... and is the major reason why I have shyed away from punky colour in the past 6 months or so. I have no idea with the new dyes that we have started using here recently... but something tells me that they will last quite a bit longer :thmbup: Now... if I could only get that grape smell with the new dyes!