• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

need a overstable mid

does the drone or wasp have a fat lip on it like the kc rocs? i perfer my buzzz because of the lip i can't do the big bead stuff just doesn't feel rite can't get a good grip. i use a control grip with my index on the rim and the other 3 like a power grip. both of em are 177 and i've just started turnin em over. if i release em flat w a lot of snap they turn over hard. just lookin for somethin more stable not nessacarly overstable. i'll check out a gator tomarrow when i swing by acadmey to pick up a boss

If they turn over on a flat release try a hyzer release, if the Roc is worn in get a new Roc, and if you want to try something new get a Zone or Pig (both marketed as a putter, but have a nice low profile and no bead. They are pretty overstable.)

does the drone or wasp have a fat lip on it like the kc rocs? i perfer my buzzz because of the lip i can't do the big bead stuff just doesn't feel rite can't get a good grip. i use a control grip with my index on the rim and the other 3 like a power grip.

The Wasp does have a bead. The Drone does not have a bead.

FLX drone! Awesome disc. At first i used it for hyzer approaches, but i must say, i use it more than my buzzz now because its just so predictable.

i had the same problem but it turned out to be more my form than the disc. I developed some bad habits on my mid range shots and started turning over my roc on almost every shot...

Damn, no love for the Sentinel?

I know, that's what I was thinking as I read through this. The Sentinel is awesome, easily my favorite overstable midrange.

I've got 2 rocs (well-worn DX, broken in KC), a buzz (Elite X), a gator (STAR), and my newest disc, an elite Z wasp. They're all a bit different.

I like the rocs best for shaping lines, especially anhyzers. The buzz is a little less stable than the rocs, but pretty similar. Lots of glide there. A gator is more of a specialty disc. Hardly any glide at all, very tough to turn over accidentally, even into a headwind. If you keep it low it can skip pretty well too. But it is tough to throw it very far.

The wasp is nice and stable, like a brand new roc, but maybe with a bit more glide. I expect it to take a lot longer to break in due to the harder plastic and to be more easily replaceable.

drone is SUPER overstable, and the zone is overstable too, albeit less than the drone. Just don't try to muscle the drone very far because it falls like a rock.

I know, that's what I was thinking as I read through this. The Sentinel is awesome, easily my favorite overstable midrange.

I was gonna reflect the sentiments on the Drone. But now you guys have me interested in the Sentinel. I never even heard of that disc.

Don't throw it so hard. If you have to go farther, us a fairway driver.

This is very true.

If you feel like the shot requires a Buzzz, yet you feel that it is too far that you would end up flipping it with that amount of snap, use a fairway. When ever I have to throw a tight shot too long for a Buzzz, I throw my Stalker.

Read through most of the replies... but are you looking for a slow or faster overstable mid range? Love my Champion Gator for the slow slot, yes its TFR only... but well worth the couple extra bucks. Zone is another good slow overstable one imo. If it's faster, I love my Star Whippet, again TFR only lol, but the FLX Drone imo is holding down this slot for a lot of people... I've heard from a lot of people that the Q-Sent is just not as stable as they used to be... unless you find an older one... I believe they have San Marino printed on the bottom of them?

It takes a ton of power (like over 400' with a Roc) to get a Roc to act squirrley. That's why so many upper level players throw them. A more overstable mid or slow driver might cover the problem (Gator, Sentinal, Blaze, Whippet), but if you want to fix it I'd keep working with the Roc.

I was gonna reflect the sentiments on the Drone. But now you guys have me interested in the Sentinel. I never even heard of that disc.

Millennium Sentinel MF, I recommend the Quantum plastic. It's a wide diam. bad boy with a bead and a fairly flat top. Has good glide and doesn't take as much effort to throw it like a Gator or Drone b/c it's a little slower. I think 3Putt throws them, he probably knows more than I do anyway.