• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help finding a pure putter.

After some more practice with my Star Aviar P&A, I ending up only buying the Envy today( white deck with a fuchsia wing...its going to be sweet!). After reading all of the replies speaking so highly of the Pure, if was not for my budget I would have bought it as well. It will stay near the top of my list for sure.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Envy is a lot like a pure. (I threw pures before it was cool) enjoy throwing all putters and improving technique.

Get a realllllly flippy lid like disc and play catch with your buddies. That's how you release with true hyzer and not get a disc to flip at 150-200'

Also.. not being an ass at all just trying to help-- ITS A WHITE FLIGHT PLATE AND FUSIA OVER MOLD MANNNNNN COME ON... FLIGHT DECK?! these aren't air craft carriers we are throwing :p

Welcome to the addiction. If you don't like the envy I have a pure we could trade up :)

Get a realllllly flippy lid like disc and play catch with your buddies. That's how you release with true hyzer and not get a disc to flip at 150-200'

By numbers, the lightweight diamond is the flippy-ist disc I have. I have only thrown it once, it flew real nice....right into a brier patch. Is that flippy enough?

By the way I throw, the Volt thrown forehand is the flippist disc I have, But I am throwing it way to hard to play catch with. It goes 50 feet with only about 15 degrees anhyzer and then, as we say in ball golf, duck hooks stright into the ground.
It flies wonderful when I throw it backhand though.

Thanks for the advice

How do you like the Envy?

Does it go farther and straighter than your putter? Does it fade less than your understable mids? If so you don't need a Pure. Hold off on buying a Pure until you find someone that has one. Ask to throw it. Lat 64 is spendy.

I like the Pure but I'm taking it out of the bag for a while to see if I can get by without it. Last week at league the beers were starting to kick in and I messed up 2 (long holes for me) in a row with my approach. Bottom line is my misses were big and that doesn't fly. Stop drinking? No but thanks for asking. I can see why people love their Comets.

When you get a chance, tell us how the Envy flew for you.

Thanks

I know a lot of people say that a putter should be stiff, but I actually like the feel of the Omega SuperSoft putter by Millennium for circle length putts. It has a good soft grip and, at least for me doesn't have any problems staying in the basket as long as you hit the middle of the chains.

I will second the Omega SuperSoft, even though it looks like the OP already went with Lat64. It is a giant floppy disc, but it feels great in my hand and flies quite well. Strangely, it even holds its own off the tee in my experience. My other favorite putter is the Challenger, which is s bit more stiff. Has a very compact feel to it that I like.

I will second the Omega SuperSoft, even though it looks like the OP already went with Lat64. It is a giant floppy disc, but it feels great in my hand and flies quite well. Strangely, it even holds its own off the tee in my experience. My other favorite putter is the Challenger, which is s bit more stiff. Has a very compact feel to it that I like.

I have to say that the Omega SS does feel great in my hand.. My GF bought one and I can't wait to buy one. I didn't think it would be that comfortable and so far I have tested it on 25' putts. I loved it.. but she said I can't use it anymore :( lol.. so I have to buy my own.

I am loving the Envy. It is so much easier to push putt with.
It is a little slick to forehand drive with but is OK. As I play with it and rough it up, that should get better.
My standing backhand drive, I am getting 150-ish out of it...double that of the Aviar. I know that is not long, but I am new. If you release it late, it will float above the fence into the softball diamond, I found. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif
I have not had as much luck spiking it as with the Aviar. When it spikes, it wants to bounce. I have no other disc that does this.
I still have not played a full round in it, just putted a bit after work and got to play a couple of holes.

Last edited:
I have to say that the Omega SS does feel great in my hand.. My GF bought one and I can't wait to buy one. I didn't think it would be that comfortable and so far I have tested it on 25' putts. I loved it.. but she said I can't use it anymore :( lol.. so I have to buy my own.

Haha! Hey, just count yourself lucky that you have a GF who is into the sport. :thmbup: I wish I could get my wife to play some DG from time to time.

I still use my Aviar P&A's for chipping and approaching but I have fallen in love with the Magic SS for putting. It feels great in my hand and seems to hold the line a bit longer than the Aviar.

Keep trying different putters until you feel comfortable. I have used many different models over the years. You will find one that you like. Maybe even two, like me.

One Man's Putter Pursuit

I am in a similar boat as you. Here is how I addressed the problem:

I play Vibram discs mostly, so I bought all four of their putters. I intend to keep their putters in my bag, because I have found that they have different strengths/weaknesses.

I have improved at throw putting for approaches in a headwind, with the VP. I use the Summit for this purpose in tailwinds.

I can drive with my Ridge very well. I also use the Summit for this purpose (because it falls into the category of an understable putt and approach disc).

I am slowly working out the form flaws, which are holding me back in my push putting style with the Sole by Vibram.

No putter is going to be perfect for all situations, but I have figured out this much:

VP - headwinds
Summit - tailwinds
Sole - near the basket
Ridge - driving

Just get a DX or Pro version of the Aviar, or one of the Aviar equivalents out there like a Magnet, Warlock, Warden or Mercy.

I 2nd the vote on a Warlock. It's basically a worn in Wizard with no bead.

I would suggest getting a Super Stupid Soft one. There is just something about the plastic that clicks with me. Tons of grip and tons of confidence. Knowing it won't slip out of my hand pretty much leaves the control in my hands. that's what you want in a putter.

I use a RFF Wizard and have tried a SSS Warlock before and the grip between the two is pretty much the same.

I now have 2 different Envy's, one a 174 and one a 168. One of the two goes into my bag every time I play; I choose between the two according to how much wind there is.

After I have heard so much about the Lat64 Pure, I decided to pick one up. Got a crunchy green one. I use it for down hill shots as the Envy has WAY too much roll out.

I also have a Polecat that I practice with. The only thing I have used it for playing is getting out of brush and rolling. I think I will turn it into a tie dye project.

My Star Avair P&A now is no longer bagged.

I have also putted with friends Magics, Ions and soft Magnets. I have the Envy, there is too much overlap with the Ion for me to have it. I may have to pick up a Magic though, nice and firm, I have decided I do not like softies at all, which include the Magnet.

Last edited:
I now have 2 different Envy's, one a 174 and one a 168. One of the two goes into my bag every time I play; I choose between the two according to how much wind there is.

After I have heard so much about the Lat64 Pure, I decided to pick one up. Got a crunchy green one. I use it for down hill shots as the Envy has WAY too much roll out.

I also have a Polecat that I practice with. The only thing I have used it for playing is getting out of brush and rolling. I think I will turn it into a tie dye project.

My Star Avair P&A now is no longer bagged.

I have also putted with friends Magics, Ions and soft Magnets. I have the Envy, there is too much overlap with the Ion for me to have it. I may have to pick up a Magic though, nice and firm, I have decided I do not like softies at all, which include the Magnet.

I don't have any qualms with your disc choices. If it's in the basket, then it's in the basket. One person suggested using a Roc to putt with. Not a bad idea at all, but it takes some practice to get the throw right.

I am new to the sport and when I went to buy my first putter at Dick's sporting goods, I bought the Star Avair P&A. I have issues throwing this disc, no doubt it is the thrower, not the disc, but I am looking for something else.

I can throw the disc at medium high speed backhand fine, I just loose control at low speed or any forehand speed(I throw forehand mostly, except close putting. I have started throwing backhand spike hyzers putts with the intention of grounding it to the right of the basket for a simple drop in.

The hype of the Axiom Envy has convinced me to buy it for my approach disc, as right now I am using an Element-X midrange for this purpose. What I am looking for is a pure putter for close in shots, also something that I can learn to push putt with....and I HATE any disc with a big bead(probably gonna trade my roc3 for this reason).

So far what I have seen on videos and looking at stats, these look interesting.

X-Link firm Ridge.
Gateway Magic.
Discraft Magnet.
X-Link firm V.P.

I am not wedded to any of these discs, perhaps even the Envy alone would be enough. Any thoughts will be gladly entertained.

Thanks

p.s. I am new, so I placed this here. If I need to move it the the Disc thread I will.
Try the gateway ss voodoo. It has helped me out. short or long it doesn't matter. holds whatever line you put it on.

Update of the search for the perfect putter.

I have decided that an update on my search for a putter might help other new players searching for a putter. Here are the putters that I have and the number that I own.

Star Aviar P&A - 1
Neutron Envy - 2
X-link V.P. - 1
DX Polecat -1
recycled Pure - 1
S.S.S. Magic - 1
Basic jOKERI - 1
Premium jOKERI -1
Prototype PA1 - 2
soft Eraser Wizard - 2

What do I have bagged after all of the searching?

soft Eraser Wizard, Neutron Envy and a premium jOKERI.

The Wizard is one sweet putter. It is so easy to control and has a decent amount of glide. When it dies, it dies hard and flat, just how a putter should act. I hate that the Aviar P&A made me think I hated beaded putters. I would recommend this disc to be anyone's first putter.

The Envy is a sublime approach disc and driver. It has a mean roll out though and that is the reason that I went on my quest to find it's replacement as push putter. If I am running the basket from 100+, it is a toss up between this and the Wizard.

The premium jOKERI is a wind fighting beast. So many times, I have been playing in a STRONG headwind where everyone else is missing their putts; I step up with the jOKERI with no fear and sink my putt. I also use it for hyzer forehand upshots as well. I cannot find another one of these or I would have 2 of these as well.

For the discs that Are no longer bagged, here is why.

PA1 - The prototype PA1 is a great disc. It does everything well but nothing great. I was bagging two of these until I got the Wizard. There was no reason to keep it in my bag after that. I had something to cover any shot that I would use this disc for. I still keep it around for one reason, rain. If it is wet out, I will bag it for the day because of its sure grip while wet.

Star Aviar P&A - Months ago, I decided that I hated beaded putters on account of the Aviar. New players, do not buy this disc as a putter!! It is an more advanced disc for approach shots....if you are in a contract and can't buy a decent putter from someone other than Innova. (I am not one of the Innova haters here, I just don't like their putters)

Pure - It is a driver more than a putter. I have an Envy therefore the Pure is wasted space in my bag.

Magic - The Magic is a wonderful putter when I am on with it, horrible when I am off. I don't think this is a problem with the mold as much is that my Magic is an x-out because it was to slippery.

Basic jOKERI - meh. Basic plastic is not as overstable as the premium plastic. I have it in premium.

X-link V.P. - It just feels weird in my hand. This is a personal taste and by no means am i saying it is a bad disc.

D.X. Polecat - Great catch disc. I get it out to warm up with or to paly catch with non-disc golfers. If I had more bad room, I might bag is simply for low speed drives as it is super straight and glide-y., but I do not have the room. sigh.

Sorry about the novel length post but perhaps this will of help to someone else.

Last edited: