• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with my bag

Tradisc

I have never really paid much attention to my bag set up, I have always just bought disks not knowing much about them. I throw rhbh and don't have much distance (260-285 with drivers) but have good control. My current bag consists of...

Distance Drivers

170 Ch Monster (very beat, when I need big fade)
169 * Destroyer ( somewhat beat, forehand drives when windy)
169 * Roadrunner (roller disc)
175 Ch Boss (new, Tomahawk)
175 * SL (don't use much)
169 * Wraith (somewhat beat, forehand drives and some backhand)
170 Z Express (brother gave it to me, havent used it much)

Fairway Drivers

175 Ch Teebird (very beat)
175 Ch KC Teebird (newer, main driver)
166 * leopard (just got, really liking it)

Midrange

180 QMS

Putters

175 Aviar (very very beat)
172 * Aviar (used for drives)
150 Aviar

What should stay and what should go? Do I need lighter weights? I know I need to get some more midrange discs, I just started to use them and have only the one, and can only get it 200ish. Like I said got no distance but lots of control. Any advice would be great.

If you are committed to getting better then the best advice would be to limit molds and reduce your weights.

Your putters and mids are great molds but the weight is too high for you right now (except for the 150 Aviar). It would be better if your discs were around 165-170.

The theory is that if you practice and play with your mids and putters only then your overall distance and technique will improve faster.
As far as drivers go you should probably stick with the Xpress, the Roadrunner, or the Leopard if you throw your drivers at all.

The way I would build your bag is this:
Aviars- for putting and short drives
QMS- for mid range shots and short drives
Leopard- shorter hyzers, straight and anhyzer long drives
Teebird- straight and hyzer long drives

You already have a solid bag but the weights are a little high. Someone else will have to give advice on forehand because I don't do much of that.

If you really focus on your technique you will be gaining distance relatively quickly and then all your other discs that you already have will be viable options. The Leopard and Teebirds should be good enough for you until you are regularly breaking 350'. Even then I wouldn't ditch those 2 molds.

with your distance, the healthy thing to do would be to drop everything you have listed as distance driver and roll with what's left. Teebirds, leopard, qms, aviars is a good start.

edit: Marmoset beat me to it...

I never really thought about the weight of the disc so good to know. Should I throw a star or champ Teebird? And would it hurt to pick up a Roc in the 160's? I have also been looking at a 166 Star TL, is it worth it or should I just stay with the Teebird and Leopard? Thanks for all the advice.

For your distance 165-ish is best (like I said before).
Star and Champ Teebirds are pretty much the same IMO but I haven't gotten enough throws to see how they break-in relative to each other. That's a question for DGDave or one of the other Teebird nuts. I do know that the DX Teebirds can be sooooo cherry.

I wouldn't splurge on the TL yet. It's a great mold and a great weight for you but it sits halfway between the Leo and the TB. You aren't really gaining anything new by buying that disc right now; you can accomplish the TL shots with either your Leo or your TB.

As far as Rocs and weights go, here is the Roc weight/distance chart
BlakeT said:
weight recommendations based upon distance you average with drivers:

if you throw > 425' = 179-180g Rocs
if you throw 380'-424' = 177-178g Rocs
if you throw 330-379' = 174-176g Rocs
if you throw 275-329' = 171-173g Rocs
if you throw 225-274' = 168-170g Rocs
if you throw < 224' = 167g or lighter Rocs

basically, you can move upwards in weight for wind resistance purposes, but for your go-to rocs, you won't gain any stability by moving more than a gram or two outside of the ranges i have laid out... what will happen is that if you significantly heavier you will lose a substantial amount of D.

e.g. someone throwing 250' with drivers will get identical flight paths out of a 170g roc as a 180g roc but will probably throw the 180g about 25' shorter.

there's a ton of people that default to max weight rocs... but most haven't messed around across the entire spectrum of weights.

So your 168 Roc would be a good choice but I actually might go a little heavier. 170 or 172 might be a good compliment to your QMS. You would have the straight flying QMS and then the new overstable Roc for the shots that need fade.

Ok, went and picked up some new discs and now my bag looks like.....

Drivers

167 Ch Teebird
166 Dx Teebird
166 * Leopard
168 Ch Leopard
168 * Teerex (windy days, forehand)

Midrange

180 QMS
168 Dx Roc
170 Dx Roc

Putters

150 Aviar
165 Aviar
175 * Aviar

Look better for my distance?

Wow Tra! You might have just saved our economy! It looks like you have been a busy little spender; your bag looks fantastic.

Naw, had some xmas money to spend. But thanks for the advice, it really helped. Now if the snow would melt just a bit more...... :D

Latest posts