• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with my Midrange!!

XxInnovaxX

Double Eagle Member
:confused: ok ive been playing for about a year now and have never really used a mid-range. partly because i was never shown some of the real basics of disc golf. now im trying to work on my technique to further my drive and have read a lot of the posts on playing rounds with just my mid and putter to improve form and distance. first off i had to find a mid that felt right. im debating between a star kite( has the driver type feel, a lot more comfortable for me) and a elite z buzzz. i dont know if im not throwing them soft enough, hard enough or what but everytime both seem to turnover hard right(rhbh) with a hyzer-flip and im not sure how to fix it. when i throw it 75% it glides out 150" and fades, if i throw it90% it turn over hard right. are midranges meant to be thrown 100% like a driver with a level throw, hyzer-flip, or what?

Please Help!!!!!!

Dazed and Confused in Dallas

I use a 169 DX Roc for almost every throw because I have low arm speed and lots of snap, so it just glides straight for the whole flight. You probably want a heavier mid and maybe try less arm speed, more wrist snap? I'm no expert on throwing, but all i can do well is midrange...

I used to have that same problem. Now, I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I switched my grip from the power grip to the birdie grip (same as power grip except you straighten your middle finger and press it flat against the plate. It gave me much better control and I can throw full power. I'd suggest trying different grips and with the Buzz you may need to release it at a slight hyzer angle to get full straight distance with no turnover.

A Buzzz shouldn't be turning over for you like that. The extreme turnover is probably symptomatic of something wrong with your form, perhaps OAT (off-axis torque). Do a search on these forums for "OAT" and you should find some good advice.

A Buzzz shouldn't be turning over for you like that. The extreme turnover is probably symptomatic of something wrong with your form, perhaps OAT (off-axis torque). Do a search on these forums for "OAT" and you should find some good advice.

It could also be your nose angle on release, using a super-beat disc, etc. I don't know if the drivers you throw mask some problem with your form, or if there's something the matter with your Buzzz. The main point is that a Buzzz is a super-straight disc, so it shouldn't be turning over wildly for you, no matter how hard you throw it.

Assuming you don't have ridiculously light discs, I'd say just slow down your throw and make it as fluid as possible i.e. don't strong arm it. I personally do throw my mids like my drivers but that was after I learned not to throw like a caveman. It's probably just bad OAT like Lewis said.

Well, the Kite might flip becasue it's a worthless flippy POS. :p The Buzzz is a completely different issue.

A lot of folks that learn to play disc golf with high-speed drivers throw with OAT becasue it is the only way they can keep those discs from hyzering out on them. Then when they try to throw the slower putters and mid-ranges that they should actually be able to throw, they torque the living crud out of them becasue that is the only way they know how to throw. It's actually a very common problem. Most of those players will either just not throw putters and drivers, or they end up throwing very overstable discs like Rhynos and Gators to cover up the OAT. Either way is not all that effective.

I'd recommend throwing the Buzzz and working on your form.

Speaking of midranges,I just bought a Roc which I really like. For me it is very very stable. My question is -the roc that I bought only has a weight of g145! By far the lightest disc in my bag. Is that a usual weight for a roc?

Let's meet up to play some time and I'll see if I can give you some help with your mid-range woes. I recommend a buzzz or a roc for your main mid-range. Those shouldn't be turning over on you even thrown 100%.

treethacker, rocs are extremely varied in their weights. they range from about 140 to 180 on the nose. actually, there are a few that weigh more than 180, but innova will just write 180 on 'em so they can still put the discs on the shelves.

And your Roc will gradually get less and less stable as you use it. It's a disc that gets better with wear, which is why most people buy them in DX plastic.

Speaking of midranges,I just bought a Roc which I really like. For me it is very very stable. My question is -the roc that I bought only has a weight of g145! By far the lightest disc in my bag. Is that a usual weight for a roc?

I don't think there's anything that's "usual weight" for any disc, but the under 150g discs are in their own class. These are unusually light. I throw a Roc, and it's 168g. The Roc is manufactured in a weight range between the 150-class (under 150g) to 180g.

Another thread hijacked by the Roc. If I didn't know better, I'd think the Roc was made by Somali pirates.

the $9 solution is to buy a Comet in a moderate weight, 169-172 and learn to throw it straight. Just throw it toward a tree for 100's of throws until you can land it near the tree on a straightish line. Then do the same thing Hyzer, anhyzer and a combination. Once you can do anything with a comet you'll be able to control all of your discs.

At least that's worked for me and I got the idea here...

Z

Another thread hijacked by the Roc. If I didn't know better, I'd think the Roc was made by Somali pirates.

Actually, the Roc is going to be the standard currency for the One World Government.

Amaze yourself and friends

every disc golfer has been in your shoes, and some of us are still there with you. What has really helped my mid - range and approach shots is to start with your putters/approach discs (i.e. aviar, magnet, putter, challenger, wizard, etc), pick a tree or other target, get far enough away that you can't use your putting motion, and start throwing at the target until you can land your discs in a reasonable circle around the target. With these types of discs any major problem with your form will be brought to light and you will learn how to deal with them. Usually this entails really leaning to release your disc flat, and modifying your grip to a fan grip (i.e. one or two of your fingers on the bottom of the disc for support/accuracy instead of on the rim for power). After doing this exercise for a few hours over the course of a week, I starting being able to drive my putter (a pro d magnet) 180 feet on flat ground and around 300 feet on a couple of really steep downhill holes. The lessons that you will learn doing this exercise will improve your ability to throw mid - range discs like the Roc, Drone, Comet, etc, to the point where I am comfortable driving my mid - ranges around 250 ft on level ground. Since putters and mid - ranges are more accurate than drivers, your scores will start to drop and lucky shots will turn into expected shots (short narrow fairway holes are not the nightmare that they were a few months ago). This is not to say that after a couple of hours your problems will be solved, this is something that I spend 20 minutes or so a few times a week on, to keep improving.

The best way I found to improve your mid range shots is to take all your mid range discs and go play catch with a friend in the field. At some point you will feel bad for making your friend run all over the place and as a result start actually throwing them to them. I then had my friend look as much like a basket as he possibly could (highly entertaining by the way) and then the transition was natural.

Latest posts