• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with windy putting.

FonzTYC

Par Member
I played a round at my home course today. Played +19!!!!. All due to the really really really hard blowing wind. I dont know exactly how hard it was blowing but about 15-20 mph winds is my guess. Driving was not a problem, but putting was. I use Max weight Soft Magnets and they flew like paper plates. One hole in particular, had a birdie drive, first put was tailwind which turned over and went downhill about 40 feet. Next putt was up hill headwind, which send my putter up and back down hill even further, the next 6 putts were exactly the same:mad:. Previous 2 holes did the exact same thing.:wall: I even aimed low, like 10 feet in front of me and it would still pick up. My mini was flying all over the place too.

So do i need to change putters or was this just a bad day for putts. I switched to my z buzzz's for putting and they seemed to not pick up and glide as much as the Magnets. On a non windy day i usually play my home course 6-7 over par. Which is my usual on most courses.

In that extreme of wind, you either have to lay up, or disc up for putting,

I've picked up from a few guys better than me, in serious wind, I take a driver and putt with it upside down, it fights the wind, but doesn't glide too much due to being upside down.

I like a heavy wizard or firm vp in strong wind and with good snap. In gale force winds, I reach for an esp Zone.

one would not expect a tailwind putt within "birdie" distance to turnover...you may have pulled your putt over
a tailwind should also drop your putt quicker
tailwind: aim higher

if it is really windy you may have to disc up to putt
I think Magnets have a high profile and thus may be affected by the wind

you seem to have had a bit more success with your Buzzz because it would have a comparatively lower profile

generally into the wind you would want to aim lower but keep the nose of the disc neutral
if you have it nose down it can get pushed down because too much of the flight plate is facing the wind
too much nose up and you will get lifted

adding up hill to that will result in big puffs in a direction you don't want to go

up hill putting is hard and I am not great at it

you may also want to try putting on a hyzer line so you can control nose angle for the uphill into the wind putts

too much nose up and you will get lifted

OH there was alot of that!!! I think one of those putts i actually tried to over drive the basket so i could putt in a tailwind, so i threw it on a bit of a hyzer drive, i almost caught the disc on its way back to me after going up about 50 feet.

I had been using magnets but have been using wizards again this winter because of the wind. Magnets are slower and have more glide, so they can get beat up in the wind. Maybe get a DGA titanic (same mold), in premium plastic it will have less glide and a slightly more predictable fade/drop.

I love windy day putting in tournaments. Mostly because people throw the same putter as normal n like you say its like paper plates. Where i learned to use my 176 grm. First run champ gator. Its a deadly wind putter even from 40ft out.

Something like a Zone. One noticeable drawback that I've seen: in the winter, the deck gets so cold and stiff stiff, you could probably drive nails with it. Makes it hard to grip, especially because there is zero dome. It's an absolute pig in the wind though, and drops like a brick when it runs out of steam.

Ive heard a drone n a gator are one in the same. And the drone comes n flx i thank not sure not a discraft guy. But flx should help grip

Pro D Zone might work

I would think it would have to be some wild wind to need to putt with a Drone

I use a bulldog for putting into the wind and an old lightweight beat in Omega SS for tailwind putts. They work well for me.

Rhyno. 'nough said. Wizard does pretty good as well, it's just has a little more glide and float than the rhyno.