• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Need putter advice

respectthec

I have been looking around for a new putter. I currently have a Innova Hydra and a Gateway wizard eraser. I like the Wizard a lot more then the Hydra but it is too soft and inconsistent. I have tried by buddy's Aviar and did not like it too much. I'm looking into getting something from latitude 64 but don't have my heart set on it. Please help me find a good stiff putter.

What wizard do you have? There are much stiffer plastics, if you love the wizard, but it is too soft try and bump it up a stiffness.

Well E can pretty stiff, if you want something chalkier erasers are solid,

Medium but I would suggest a soft and dont let the name fool you. They are not soft or floppy like discraft soft, just a softer grippy finish. The medium remind me of dinner plates.

yeah

I go with soft right now but I haven't tried the others.

The Classic Judge is also a good disc to check out. It's very similar in shape to a Wizard, and the plastic is produced by Latitude for Dynamic Discs. The Classic Soft plastic is not stiff, but the regular Classic plastic is stiff and tacky.

However, I would first suggest that you try a Soft Wizard since you already know you like the mold.

I may have a couple 10/10 wizards sitting in a box depends on the firmness you want.

what is the stiffest gateway plastic?
Maybe G9i Wizards... I sold one to someone - stiffest disc I've ever held in my hands, no exaggeration.*

* Except for Flywood, but they're literally made of wood.

Last edited:
Yeah soft wizards are nice. And stiff. :)

Look for a Lat64 Zero Hard plastic putter. I started using a Mercy for putting and approaching a few weeks ago. I got it in a 174 and am really liking it. Put the snap on it and it will fly nice and straight.

Pretty much it is a copy of the classic Avair P&A, that has more glide and is super firm. I am also looking to pick up a Pure for a driving, longer shot putter to try.

I have tried by buddy's Aviar and did not like it too much.

You didn't mention which Aviar you tried. I'm going to assume it was a Classic Aviar, also known as the Putt & Approach. There are three in-production Aviar molds that you can get a feel for in a store. One is the Classic Aviar. Two is the Big Bead Aviars, which have as the name implies, have a big bead on the bottom of the rim. The JK, KC, and Aviar Drivers are of this mold. The third, the Yeti Aviar, is also molded out of the big bead mold, but has a depressed flight plate. There is one other Aviar that is sold at the Pro Shop, so you can't feel it before purchasing, and that's the McPro Aviar. It is made of a hard KC-like plastic and is of the Aviar Classic mold.

The best stiff Wizard is a KC Pro Aviar.
#shotsfired.

Seriously though, it sounds l'd take a look at the Soft or SuperSoft Wizards. The softness refers to the flexibility of the flight plate, and you can find them in whatever flexibility you desire. Finding a putter is all about feel.

I would also throw out there a firm vibram sole. Excellent grip, not floppy and will not break in. It has a touch more glide than the wizard, but shares very similar stability.

Gateway makes nice putters, no doubt. If you are interested in them go factory direct. Make a quick phone call or email and tell them what you want. Great customer service. Buy a couple because finding more that match just right could be difficult.

The Ion is also a great disc and gets compared to the Wiz. It's only available in premium plastic, but it is a good one.

Like others the Judge is my go to putter. My favorite base plastic and a very versatile disc. If you like the beaded feel of the Wiz and are curious about Swedish plastic give one a try.

Latest posts