• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some disc advice

The Zone is a bit shorter, but my favorite forehand disc period. Possibly my favorite disc overall. Also, if the Drone seems like a bit too much of a meathook, try a Wasp.

If you want something straighter than your Boss, that holds a line better/easier than your Boss, I don't think a Firebird is what you're looking for.

+1 for the Firebird for this shot. Not mentioned as of yet but a disc that I love for controlled, finesse, short LHFH approach shots is the SP Breaker from DGA. Not quite as stable as the Zone but a tick more glide. Great controllable disc. Two of my favorites in the bag honestly.

Ok so I'm assuming you want to develop the fh for when you get a better/easier angle by throwing it since you're primarily bh. I use the firebird for those shots even at short distances. It's an awesome disc that is very consistent and predictable. Bh I'm a big believer in discing down, but not so much for fh. I've tried putters/mids for that slot, but haven't found anything I can fully trust like a firebird. If I'm running it I'll use an aviar or rhyno(also rhyno if I need it to land and basically stay put) and max distance I use a destroyer. Almost all other fh shots are the firebird. Get a stiff flat one and you'll become a believer.

Firebird and a Z Zone will cover pretty much anything you could need for OS FH duties.

Firebirds are many folks' go-to for FH shots for a reason. They are great. For me (RHFH) they go straight, but definitely have a hard fade to the right at the end of their flight.

If you aren't looking for such a hard fade, I would suggest a Teebird. I FH my Teebirds regularly and they go very straight with a reliable fade, just not as hard as the Firebird. Champ will typically give you the most fade, star and DX less so.

I flick my Roc3s just fine. I think most of your "workhorse" midrange discs (buzzz, roc, truth, etc.) will handle this sort of shot. It really comes down to which mold feels best to you and gives you a consistent release. Just my 2c.

Last edited:
Without knowing how far you throw, it's all a guessing game as to what to advise. But given that, I recommend a Champion Eagle "X".
Eagle X is a great forehand disc for a medium power thrower if they're looking for a bit of turn before the fade. For me I like my FH shots to be dead-nuts straight until they hook up, so with that in mind I've thrown Star Firebirds, a Resistor, and a GL XXX in that slot. Right now the XXX only comes out once in a while on super windy days. It just dumps too hard and too early in flight. The Resistor is my primary forehand disc, but it's begining to show signs of being too straight. Whether that's me beating it in, my power increasing, or something else I don't know. The Firebirds were awesome, but I'm down to my last one and don't throw it often because I dyed it mostly black, with my image in red. Since the Resistor/XXX combo is working and doesn't cost me money I stay with it, but if I were only picking one disc it would be the 'Bird for sure.

I don't forehand mids often, but when I do it's either a Tensor or Buzzz OS. Both are good, neither is perfect for me. The Tensor doesn't really dump hard enough right when thrown flat, and the Buzzz OS gives me the beef I want, but is so deep that it's hard to get a clean release occasionally. I have a Zone sitting around doing nothing, and I need to try that to see if it is the best of both worlds.

Good luck w/your search!

Man, you guys are awesome .. Thank you for the great advice .. I'm gonna pick up a few of these mentioned and see what happens and keep going till I find what fits

Thanks again

I have tried and tried to find a use for a Roc but it just never clicked for me. Of course, I don't like the Buzzz either.
FWIW I don't bag either of them at this point, but have in the past. I was just commenting on the OP's original suggestion for an OS mid, which a Roc is. There's OS, and then there's Drone/Gator OS.

Latest posts