• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New 18 Hole Course in Southern Wisconsin

Consult20

* Ace Member *
There is a new 18 hole course at Riverside Park in Janesville, Wisconsin that is now open for play. It has 18 new Discatchers but only natural tee areas at this time. Here is the DGCR link to the course info:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8602

Keep in mind the course is very new, mostly wooded, and is a work in progress. If you like very technical courses with a fair amount of elevation changes it's worth checking out. This is the second 18 hole course in Janesville, Lustig park is the other -- both are free to play.

I played this a couple weeks back. It's pretty cool. Definitely more fun than Lustig, not that Lustig is bad or anything. Riverside has 3 or 4 really unique and memorable holes.

I want to say it was hole 2 that is a tight line to a sharp dog leg left, then once you clear the gap it opens up to a steep downhill look to the pin sitting outside the woods. Really nice design and a beautiful hole. There's another one later that plays out of the woods after a loong tunnel shot that I really liked as well.

Also, the one that plays next to the road and over the Creek was really cool. And hole 17 has a really cool danger zone green area.

Also, Riverside has got to be the most common disc golf course name.

Last edited:
I played this a couple weeks back. It's pretty cool. Definitely more fun than Lustig, not that Lustig is bad or anything. Riverside has 3 or 4 really unique and memorable holes.

I want to say it was hole 2 that is a tight line to a sharp dog leg left, then once you clear the gap it opens up to a steep downhill look to the pin sitting outside the woods. Really nice design and a beautiful hole. There's another one later that plays out of the woods after a loong tunnel shot that I really liked as well.

Also, the one that plays next to the road and over the Creek was really cool. And hole 17 has a really cool danger zone green area.

Also, Riverside has got to be the most common disc golf course name.

Excellent analysis and spot on with the hole info. Hole 15 is the one near the road over the "creek", everything except the mowed short grass is OB -- even the long grass/woods near the basket is OB, so if you overshoot your putt there's a decent chance of going OB. Playing it that way it's very difficult to get a 2 on that hole, and quite easy to go OB more than once.

Hole 2 is tricky, a buddy of mine found the best option for him is to throw a forehand anny shot -- he's hit chains that way.

There are some lines in the woods you probably didn't see playing it just once. There are some wooded holes where you can take a high hyzer route (rhbh) rather than trying to thread the straight ahead needle.

It's very different than Lustig, so it makes for a unique day playing both courses.

A bunch of us Rebels (Rebel Disc Golf Club) from Marshall, WI played it a couple weeks ago and really loved it. There's some very tough holes (long and technical in the woods), but we also got a few birdies where we didn't expect to, so it's not an unreasonably hard course. Another great addition to Wisco disc golf. Nice work, Friends of Lustig!

Attachments

• IMG_20160801_173752.jpg
    IMG_20160801_173752.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 44
A bunch of us Rebels (Rebel Disc Golf Club) from Marshall, WI played it a couple weeks ago and really loved it. There's some very tough holes (long and technical in the woods), but we also got a few birdies where we didn't expect to, so it's not an unreasonably hard course. Another great addition to Wisco disc golf. Nice work, Friends of Lustig!

That's great to hear, it's tough and unforgiving but not unreasonable -- if you shoot anywhere near par you did well. But when the 2nd set of sleeves go in, it will be down right brutal (but a fun challenge too).

^That is the most untrue statement I've heard in a long time.

UNLESS you enjoy poison ivy, nettles, ridiculous rough, impossible lines, no teepads, tripping over roots every 3 feet and unfair "fair"ways.

See also: terrible navigation, playing around a playground and busy road, I could go on and on.

All of that being said, I see the potential in the course at some point in the next few years, but I'm really sad I drove an hour and a half (round trip) to play this thing.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE technical, wooded golf. It's the best part of my game. But this course (as it stands) is just no fun.

The DiscCatchers are nice, I guess.

^That is the most untrue statement I've heard in a long time.

UNLESS you enjoy poison ivy, nettles, ridiculous rough, impossible lines, no teepads, tripping over roots every 3 feet and unfair "fair"ways.

See also: terrible navigation, playing around a playground and busy road, I could go on and on.

All of that being said, I see the potential in the course at some point in the next few years, but I'm really sad I drove an hour and a half (round trip) to play this thing.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE technical, wooded golf. It's the best part of my game. But this course (as it stands) is just no fun.

The DiscCatchers are nice, I guess.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the course HC, it is definitely very green and is a work in progress. Much of your concerns were addressed in the course description and in my original post, but I'll try to address all of them.

There is some poison ivy around, but I have not personally seen it or bumped into it. Do you remember where you saw it? There has been a ton of string trimming done but no question more needs to be done. Once we got .155 thick string it went much better, that stuff even cut small trees and shrubs.

There are some very tight lines, but there are also some lines you possibly didn't see the first time around. It is a very unforgiving layout, and I would say anything under 60 is a good score, and 54 or better takes a highly skilled player, probably open player caliber.

The navigation signage will get better, and there is a course map online and at the pavilion board near hole 3's tee off area that should help. The playground area does not come into play, so I'm not sure about that comment. The main park road is generally not busy at all, unless there is an event going on in the park. Even at that, it's only an issue on possibly two holes, but more likey only on hole 18.

And yes for now the tee pads are just natural, no pads in place yet. Options are being looked at for temporary pads.

The more the course gets played the better it will get, but as you say it will take time to evolve.

Glad you liked the Discatchers anyway :)

Now I'm intrigued...

I have a michigan course that some might have the very same objections to that HC brought up... I love it still :)

gotta have love for the tough and rough technical courses with brutal layouts :thmbup:

Now I'm intrigued...

I have a michigan course that some might have the very same objections to that HC brought up... I love it still :)

gotta have love for the tough and rough technical courses with brutal layouts :thmbup:

I like rough and tough technical golf, and like I said, I see the potential in the course. I'm really not trying to be dink.

I would probably just do more upkeep and clearing before listing it for any sort of public consumption.

I've played a lot of courses (287) and this is one of the only ones that still raises my blood pressure when I think about it. :)

I'll come back in a couple of years and see how it's improved.

Just wanted to say this course has been played quite a bit and is continuing to improve, it's much easier to find discs now than it was 1.5 months ago. It's still very challenging, but to me the fun factor has gone up quite a bit. If you're in the area it's definitely worth checking out.

Wait a minute.........you mean there's trees between me and the basket!?!?!?

That's unfair.

He just set me off. I read reviews of unfair fairways that actually should be pros because they force people to choose between lines or to throw a line that they struggle with.

No offense intended to HC.

To me, the unfair hole is one that, even when thrown on exactly the line intended by the designer, there's a big chance of luck robbing you of a good lie/2nd shot/footing.
(Usually, through roots/stumps/poor maintenence, etc.

A bad shot shouldn't result in the same opportunity as a great one. This also irks me about the people that complain about punishing rough. If you don't like throwing through the wedding veil of vines to get to the wedding night of the basket, stay in the fairway. :D

HC has played a **** ton of heavily treed courses (with me!). I'd trust his opinion on the subject before most people.

It was pretty rough when he played it, no question. I'm betting if he came back now and played a couple rounds he may very well like it more. It's still very challenging with some really tight lines on several holes, so shooting under par is a very good score, but birdies are there to be had. I've birdied every hole on this course except hole 13, which I believe is the most difficult hole on the course.

I'll try to get some pictures of all the holes uploaded in the next week or two, but will be out East this weekend so it'll likely be in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Maybe one day I'll be able to travel up there and hit it.

Maybe one day I'll be able to travel up there and hit it.

That would be great.

In all fairness to HC's comments there were, and still are, some areas that need some small trees removed to allow more fair lines. But the idea was to leave a lot of those obstacles in place in order to determine which would make the most sense to remove after playing the course several times. The best part is that this course forces you to use throws you may not normally use. If you're only a BH thrower, you will absolutely have to develop a good FH to navigate this course. And thumber's and tomahawks come in handy too.

Latest posts