• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New 2013 Minnesota Winter Thread - MSP Minneapolis St. Paul MN Tips Courses Discs

I believe only the Three Rivers courses are closed. Kaposia, The Valley, CP Adams and Acorn are some courses where tee pads are kept clear due to leagues. Hit or miss on some of the other 18s being fully cleared.

i saw the valley the other day and it was *not* shoveled whatsoever. : \ i'll get out there sometime soon, though.

You park in the South Valley lot in winter and either start on 12 or walk through tunnel and start on 16.

For some of the n00bs out there here are your best bets for winter golf that I know of in the twin cities

1. Acorn-Yes the black top tees get slick but they are shoveled almost immediately by someone and it gets a ton of traffic every single day so the snow gets trampled down fast.
2. Plymouth Creek-A local generally does the tees out there, its a short course and gets alot of winter play. Great winter course.
3. Eagle's Edge-somewhat of a secret, a shorter course, a good chance to shoot -9 if you play well. Tees are generally cleared by a group of a few locals as well.
4. Kaposia-There was 1 time last winter where the tees had not been shoveled but that is why you bring a shovel vs post about someone should shovel the teepads.
5. Lakewood Hills-Tees had been shoveled and salted when I went there last week. Can not ask for a whole lot more than 100% salted and cleared pads in the winter. Best tees I have seen so far this winter.
6. Valley-generally are cleared for Wednesday slacker league

Here are some other good bets that I do not frequent but would guess the tees get shoveled; RO4L, Alimagnet, Oakwood, CP Adams. Of course there are some secret courses that I dont want people to play that happen to be shoveled too

Couple of things that can help your winter golf.

1.) Don't wear all of your layers in the car on the way to the course. You'll sweat out before you even get started.

2.) Don't over do the layering. You should be a little cool when you start. Walking through snow with extra clothing is work. It will warm you up. If you're warm before you step on to the tee for 1 you'll be sweating by the time you get to 3.

3.) This last one sounds the craziest at first but make sure your discs are below freezing before you begin. Keep them in the trunk of your car, on your porch, or if you don't/cant leave them outside keep them in your freezer. So long as they're below freezing before the start of the round they wont melt snow as they touch down and will stay dry (and so will your hands) for the whole day.

Your best bet as always is Blue Ribbon Pines. Ray keeps it playable 365. That includes cleared tee pads and fairways that are compressed so discs cannot sneak under the snow.

For some of the n00bs out there here are your best bets for winter golf that I know of in the twin cities

1. Acorn-Yes the black top tees get slick but they are shoveled almost immediately by someone and it gets a ton of traffic every single day so the snow gets trampled down fast.
2. Plymouth Creek-A local generally does the tees out there, its a short course and gets alot of winter play. Great winter course.
3. Eagle's Edge-somewhat of a secret, a shorter course, a good chance to shoot -9 if you play well. Tees are generally cleared by a group of a few locals as well.
4. Kaposia-There was 1 time last winter where the tees had not been shoveled but that is why you bring a shovel vs post about someone should shovel the teepads.
5. Lakewood Hills-Tees had been shoveled and salted when I went there last week. Can not ask for a whole lot more than 100% salted and cleared pads in the winter. Best tees I have seen so far this winter.
6. Valley-generally are cleared for Wednesday slacker league

Here are some other good bets that I do not frequent but would guess the tees get shoveled; RO4L, Alimagnet, Oakwood, CP Adams. Of course there are some secret courses that I dont want people to play that happen to be shoveled too

Recommend carrying an extra sweater or sweatshirt, jacket and hat in the car. You can sweat out what you're wearing during play. You can at least change your outer layers after you're done playing, especially if you have to wait around, so you don't get chilled before getting back home to fully change.

3.) This last one sounds the craziest at first but make sure your discs are below freezing before you begin. Keep them in the trunk of your car, on your porch, or if you don't/cant leave them outside keep them in your freezer. So long as they're below freezing before the start of the round they wont melt snow as they touch down and will stay dry (and so will your hands) for the whole day.

Not crazy at all. Totally sound advice.

My buddy always used to remind me to do this the night before we were to play a round.

I am coming down tomorrow and will be playing from about 1130 to 4

I have students through Thursday. Friday I only have a morning meeting and then I am off for almost two weeks. I am going to hit up BRP on the way home because by that point it will have been two weeks since the last I played. Until this month I was used to playing three or so times a week. It has been a tough month.

A buddy and I are thinking about snow blowing a small 9 hole course. Holes are 180-260 ft. We would use two snow blowers. Clear big tee pads. Than snow blow a double path to the baskets. I figure maybe 5 mins a hole. So say an hour. If I brought the riding snow blower I could clear around the basket and make a fairway/path. But it is not as inconspicuous. Would be sweet. Only Ideas..... But might happen tomorrow. :D

A buddy and I are thinking about snow blowing a small 9 hole course. Holes are 180-260 ft. We would use two snow blowers. Clear big tee pads. Than snow blow a double path to the baskets. I figure maybe 5 mins a hole. So say an hour. If I brought the riding snow blower I could clear around the basket and make a fairway/path. But it is not as inconspicuous. Would be sweet. Only Ideas..... But might happen tomorrow. :D

I think I know this place. You should let me know if this happens and I can try to get out of work early the next couple days that supposed to 20+ (sad that I'm excited for this).

Your best bet as always is Blue Ribbon Pines. Ray keeps it playable 365. That includes cleared tee pads and fairways that are compressed so discs cannot sneak under the snow.

That is a bunch of BS, last winter I had 2 discs disappear into the snow on hole 20 across the creek. That fairway was not in good shape last year. Not complaining nor do I throw great discs in the winter. Def some areas you do not want discs to land out there

anyone playing in the st paul ice bowl? i cant decide what day i wanna play in. also lookin at playing a league on the opposite day since ill be driving up from kato

anyone playing in the st paul ice bowl? i cant decide what day i wanna play in. also lookin at playing a league on the opposite day since ill be driving up from kato

I was reading about this. First time I heard of it was just a couple weeks ago to be honest. I am planning to ask a couple buddies this week if they want to get in on it but I'm doubting it - they are all wimps when it comes to winter :thmbdown:

That is a bunch of BS, last winter I had 2 discs disappear into the snow on hole 20 across the creek. That fairway was not in good shape last year. Not complaining nor do I throw great discs in the winter. Def some areas you do not want discs to land out there

Driving range hole and or the 440 footer after that? I can see that. I will restate what I meant. Ray will attempt to matt down the fairways. Obviously this works better in the woods where the fairways are not that wide, but I often see him out there doing his best on the wide open holes. Ultimately, I want to point out that there is an attempt after every snow fall by either him or his family.

I am not saying anything against you or what you saw, but maybe you just caught him between groomings. He plays out there several times a week and I bet he hates to search for and lose discs as much as anyone else.