• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New (another) course at Renny

tom12003

Eagle Member
Charlotte is building a new course at Renaissance -- totally separate from the Gold/original course. Stan McDaniel seems to be the lead designer. About 15 volunteers braved today's rain and put a large dent into 2-3 of the holes. Hope is to have the course carved out by March and polished and playable by April:clap:. Hope to get the DR brush hog active next week.:hfive:

This McDaniel fella's creating quite a name for himself...

Charlotte is the best disc golf city in the world. No contest.

Less of a beat down perhaps? Something between Renny and Plantation Ruins difficulty wise would be nice.

Sounds like it could be a really cool tourney venue or a place to spend the whole day playing a few different layouts without having to drive. A technical but shorter course would be a nice complement to the original layouts.

Less of a beat down perhaps? Something between Renny and Plantation Ruins difficulty wise would be nice.

I think the goal is something along the lines of reedy creek, winget, or elon eager longs. Stan wants to do it at Nevin as well. A beginers course to go along with the monster like the angry beaver and eager beaver complex.

Last edited:

Will be an intermediate distance course for the older divisions no elevation. A number of the holes will be in the open area by gold 11-13 and then in the woods to the right of 12, and left of 13. Same idea as Bailey or the eager beaver but a little longer, holes 200-300' in length. 18 baskets. So, I think...If you play renny grey...you could play 1-12 then the short courses 18 holes then 13-18 for a full 36 hole loop. Or you could play 1-10 Gold, the short course, 14-18 for a 33 hole layout, if you wanted to spend your day at Renny.

I sure hope Stan can talk Innova into different color baskets, orange maybe to make the 3 Gold holes less confusing.

I think the goal is something along the lines of reedy creek, winget, or elon eager longs. Stan wants to do it at Nevin as well. A beginners course to go along with the monster like the angry beaver and eager beaver complex.

Have to agree with Pat (bravethrower) as far as challenge. It will not be an easy, pitch-and-putt; more of a hit-your-line course or suffer. Beginners should find such a course more friendly than Renny Gold (our goal is to get more players), but the pros/adv. ams should find the course as a challenge but a friendly experience. Should be a SSA of 49-50+; not a no brainer.

Have to agree with Pat (bravethrower) as far as challenge. It will not be an easy, pitch-and-putt; more of a hit-your-line course or suffer. Beginners should find such a course more friendly than Renny Gold (our goal is to get more players), but the pros/adv. ams should find the course as a challenge but a friendly experience. Should be a SSA of 49-50+; not a no brainer.

Yea the term beginner course in my original post should be more along the lines of beginner friendly course. Not a pitch and putt by any means but not overbearing

Will be an intermediate distance course for the older divisions no elevation. A number of the holes will be in the open area by gold 11-13 and then in the woods to the right of 12, and left of 13. Same idea as Bailey or the eager beaver but a little longer, holes 200-300' in length. 18 baskets. So, I think...If you play renny grey...you could play 1-12 then the short courses 18 holes then 13-18 for a full 36 hole loop. Or you could play 1-10 Gold, the short course, 14-18 for a 33 hole layout, if you wanted to spend your day at Renny.

Sounds like a good fit. I like the fact that it plays relatively near a section of the existing course to easily allow players to customize their day. I really loved Renny, so many interesting/unique holes.

I still haven't played Renny Gold... maybe this will spur it on.

Yea the term beginner course in my original post should be more along the lines of beginner friendly course. Not a pitch and putt by any means but not overbearing

Too many open holes though criss crossing 11-13 gold to be considered much more than an intermediate course. Right now it looks insane off the fairways for the wooded holes. Sort of like how Bradford 4-7 looked when it was new, maybe the right side of Nevin #11 now...but the trees are small in the underbrush and it will clear out...I bet youll be suprised when you see what it looks like after a good DR brush hogging. I bet youll find the wooded holes to be Wingetesque.

Yo. Yes it does. Today is RenSke's birthday. Took a month. Wow! Now the grooming begins. Breakfast at IHOP and then install the final 6 baskets. Tee at high noon. Par 54. No measurements yet.

Yo. Yes it does. Today is RenSke's birthday. Took a month. Wow! Now the grooming begins. Breakfast at IHOP and then install the final 6 baskets. Tee at high noon. Par 54. No measurements yet.

I hope you Charlotte guys realize how good you have it......I have played lots of the best courses all over the country but without even giving it a second thought I would pick Charlotte over any other disc golf Mecca and it's not even close. You could pick the very best course in lots of areas and it wouldn't even be in the top 10 in Charlotte.

About 25 locals played a test round today. Smiles generally present. Course still needs significant grooming--another month of work should get it a glimmer of sparkle; still needs beating in. No reviews on DGCR should be posted until it gets more polishing.

Tom will unleash his wrath on Huey. Teeheehee. I dont care if anyone wants to post reviews now. The feedback I have received the last couple of days validates my intent and execution. Hmmm, perhaps execution was a poor choice of words.