• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

It's definitely starting to look sleeker! Levi mentions it's tough to get stuff out of the pockets as designed currently but I hope they keep a somewhat similar style. I like that my Octothorpe can have a side pocket fully unzipped but it still keeps enough structure/pocket shape that I can stuff a towel in there for easy access without worrying about it falling out.

I hope he puts the Octo and Carlton besides the Rufus in the next video, hard to see if it´s really that much smaler than a Octo

Carlton was delivered today and I'm thoroughly impressed. Build quality is amazing, pack is comfortable, and I think I'm gonna love it.

Ended up going with double putter pockets, seemed like a lot of common feedback was that if you use the bottom sleeve it makes the lower section more difficult to access. I don't think I'll carry this many discs hardly ever, but loaded it with 22 no problem and could probably manage another 2-3 if I had to.

3 putting putters in outermost haul pocket, 2 approach discs in the other with easy room for a third. 3 commonly used fairways in one putter pocket, two firebirds and a max for easy access in the other. 5 mids in one pocket under the putter pouch and 6 drivers in the other one.

In reality the course being played will determine exactly gets stored in the putter pouches. Those will be quick access go to discs for that course. Lesser thrown stuff will go underneath the putter pouches, and courses where I won't carry as many discs will see those fairly empty. I like putting my putters in the haul pockets because they're not tight going in and out but could see maybe wanting to have them higher up in the pouches after a couple of rounds.

I've got an insulated 1.5L hydrapak that I use with my trail running vest, I'll either put that in the middle compartment or I've also got 32 and 40 ounce double insulated metal bottles that will fit fine. That's one of the things I didn't like about my grip, that 40 ounce is heavy when filled and didn't like having it on one side of the bag. Having the 40 and 32 ounce both loaded just added way too much weight. I don't think I'll use the back zippered area for the hydrapak, dunno if it'd be as comfortable wearing the pack with it directly behind me.

Looks like a big factor in ease of use is how you have the discs facing. Putters in the haul pockets go in and out easier plate side facing outward. Those bottom main sections work best with the top plate facing inward. Putter pouches seem to work best outward. I think I'll store my towels in the haul pockets under the putters to help raise them up a bit. As they sit now the top inch or two sticks up. Having a bit more disc exposed will probably make things more convenient.

Very seldom will I probably carry 22 discs, unless I'm going out with the intent of field throwing. I think my initial concern was if I ever wanted to carry a few extra discs the Carlton would be real tight so I kept bouncing between it and the Octohaul, but at the same time wasn't sure how well the Haul would work with fewer discs in it. I know people put the drink insert in the bottom, or foam blocks or whatever but ultimately decided I'd rather carry less with the Carlton and be able to go up as opposed to rigging a Haul to accommodate less. Price difference definitely helped, plus I liked the gray/alpine colorway better than the navy or tan on the Haul's.

I didn't order a rainfly initially but probably will mainly to keep the bottom of the bag clean during sloppy months. I've got a stool I can sit the bag on, but one local course in particular is in the woods without a lot of natural grass and is fairly hilly so in the winter you get slick muddy hills. Every so often I'd give my grip bags a bath in the tub, hot water and regular Dawn soap and a sponge scrubbing, I'm assuming that shouldn't be an issue for Pound bags?

Attachments

• 33D2CC8B-8417-4B61-B7B1-1CCA89FD5884.jpg
    33D2CC8B-8417-4B61-B7B1-1CCA89FD5884.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 90
  • AD78E665-3790-4D66-ACEB-DFE1B0135A49.jpg
    AD78E665-3790-4D66-ACEB-DFE1B0135A49.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 67
  • E0D43180-AFFB-4267-BB8D-EF3FF0F93B63.jpg
    E0D43180-AFFB-4267-BB8D-EF3FF0F93B63.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 64
Carlton was delivered today and I'm thoroughly impressed. Build quality is amazing, pack is comfortable, and I think I'm gonna love it.

Ended up going with double putter pockets, seemed like a lot of common feedback was that if you use the bottom sleeve it makes the lower section more difficult to access. I don't think I'll carry this many discs hardly ever, but loaded it with 22 no problem and could probably manage another 2-3 if I had to.

Quality tip there on the double putter pocket. A Carlton doesn't hold enough for me on a normal round, but I have a couple smaller bags for courses I know won't need a full arsenal. I hadn't really considered that the sleeve would make the lower areas harder to use, but it makes sense. Gotta file that one away in the old design file for future pack builds.

Appreciate the photos too. That's one thing I don't love about the Pound website. I get a lot of glamour photos, but not a lot of photos down into the carriers to show the discs (it was always hard for me to tell if they were showing photos without discs in the bag, or if the discs just sat very low, because they weren't visible).

I've got an insulated 1.5L hydrapak that I use with my trail running vest, I'll either put that in the middle compartment or I've also got 32 and 40 ounce double insulated metal bottles that will fit fine. That's one of the things I didn't like about my grip, that 40 ounce is heavy when filled and didn't like having it on one side of the bag. Having the 40 and 32 ounce both loaded just added way too much weight. I don't think I'll use the back zippered area for the hydrapak, dunno if it'd be as comfortable wearing the pack with it directly behind me.

I personally loved a bladder in the octothorpe...but in the Carlton it's a different story. I have a 2L bladder and when I store it in the middle, it really pushes the divider outward and makes it impossible to fit my normal loadout in there, or at least nearly impossible to get my discs in and out of the normal storage. I haven't tried figuring out a smaller water bladder solution, since it's not a huge deal in the winter. But, in my experience, there's not early as good of a location for one in a Carlton vs a thorpe or haul.

I hadn't considered the zippered area on the back, but I don't think I'd be able to get one in there without taking out the middle divider, and at that point it's too much of a hassle in my opinion. The bag is actually fairly balanced with a big water bottle since it still sits closer to the midline versus something like an octothorpe (ie the load is more centered and not outside of an additional pocket)

Also, like dehaas said - orientation makes a big difference. I feel a little ashamed that I didn't think about flipping the orientation of the flight plate myself (I do this with the top pockets in the Ridge, flight plate down instead of up). It does seem to make it a good bit easier to get discs in and out, especially the inner most discs that might get hung on the putter pockets.

I think I saw the tip about plate side facing inwards on a YouTube video somewhere. Definitely makes a difference.

Only had a chance to get out and throw with it twice and they've been more fieldwork sessions out on the course so it's been maxed out both times but still felt easy on the body to carry. I'm a big fan so far, the only thing I've been mildly annoyed with has been the sleeve pockets in the inner section. I've just been dumping my phone, wallet, and keys there and haven't messed the Velcro yet to make the pockets not as deep. Because the top is stretchy elastic I've gotta use my right hand to pull it open otherwise my watch on my left hand gets snagged if I try to slide it in on its own. Could just use the other inside pocket so I'm reaching in with my right hand instead but I'm a creature of habit. Might just end up ordering one of those zipper pouches along with my rainfly and toss everything inside of that and stick it down the sleeve so I can fish everything out all at once.

Might just end up ordering one of those zipper pouches along with my rainfly and toss everything inside of that and stick it down the sleeve so I can fish everything out all at once.

Small zipper pouches are great for things like that, and also for things you "might" need during a round. I have one that carries nail clippers and sandpaper, bandaids, wipes, and for the last two years, a mask. I hardly ever use any of it, but the pouch makes it easy to transfer between bags.

The bigger the bag, the more discs and other stuff I carry….

That I don't use.

This is for casual rounds. If I'm playing a tournament I want to be a bit over prepared. Carry extra water, etc. but a normal casual round is around 1.5 to 2 hours. No need to pack for a multi day trip.

$275 seems pretty fair. I'm considering selling both my carlton and ridge to get one of these. The carlton isn't good enough at carrying a water bladder, and the ridge is a little too big and heavy for what I actually need. Hopefully this would be a good compromise. Now, to try and convince my wife...but at least that can wait since they are out of stock

I might be alone in this, but there's just something about the Rufus that is visually unappealing to me. Not sure if it's the box-y look (though I don't mind the look of a GRIP that's sort of similar, so who knows). Great features as all the LB bags have, just not loving the look of the bag.

I might be alone in this, but there's just something about the Rufus that is visually unappealing to me. Not sure if it's the box-y look (though I don't mind the look of a GRIP that's sort of similar, so who knows). Great features as all the LB bags have, just not loving the look of the bag.

I know what you mean, but I think it looks better with the flap open and discs in it. Trying not be be defensive, since I pulled the trigger and ordered one!

Is there some reason that Levi doesn't make a top loader Like the Mahal is? Does Mystery Ranch have some kind of rights to the exact design?

If I ever get another backpack (currently a cart guy) I'd want the top load and high quality. (I have one from Dynamic that I got in a player pack, but it's nowhere near the same as the Mahal.)

Latest posts