• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New England Love

ill be playing crane hill hopefully in spring so i am even more pumped:D

Added Crane Hill and Newton Hill to my wish list.....when New Englanders say "hill" they mean "HILL!"

Crane Hill is awesome. Navigation is a bit tough between a few holes, so make sure to grab a local if you can. Also look for arrows on the ground, they will point the way, but they are easy to miss. All the tees are natural, so watch your step. Besides those coupe of things, prepare for some tight fairways, bring your straight mids and fairways for sure.

So where r your reviews for NE courses.....this is what Im talkin about...the indifference NE locals have for their amazing courses!
Yes, point taken.

I don't feel I write very good reviews. Conversationally I can tell about a course or make a good suggestion for a course to play based on what you like but I don't feel I write reviews that paint a better picture than the photos do (and I have updated many photos on New England courses) and neither do many of the people who have clicked the "not helpful" button next to my reviews so I got the hint early.

If a course already has 4 or 5 reviews which I think are accurate I don't see the point of writing a review which is basically parroting bits of other reviews. I'm sorry if that's not helpful and yes it is DG Course REVIEW but I'm more into tracking the courses I've played and uploading missing pictures (which I'm behind on at the moment).

Pictures as valuable as a review. Though I'm sure you could add some interesting information in a review. Thanks for the pics; it's something I don't do; and I sure appreciate those who do.

Well "thank you" from me and everyone else who uploads pictures. I think we all have our role to play in the DG world. Some are course reviewers, some are picture takers, otheres are TD's, evangelists to community, course designers, etc. I just don't want to feel required to write reviews though I will make a point (because of you guys) to go through all of my played courses and see what I might be able to add.

Thanks everyone for being so cool.

I'd like to apologize for not rating the courses up there when I played this summer.

There were some solid 4++ star courses (Jordan, Little Lehigh),
Some good courses (Bryan and Prompton),
some overrated courses (Tyler, yeah I know, I played the shorts, but it wasn't top 10 material and the longs would have been too difficult for me anyway),
and a terribly overrated course (Field of Dreams in NJ).

Looking back on it, I should have fought the tiredness and wrote up reviews the same day I played.

That being said, when you are going to come out and play in Michigan, Opti? #1 at Mason County Beast and #19 at Hickory Hills will show you what a real hill looks like. :)

I'd like to apologize for not rating the courses up there when I played this summer.

There were some solid 4++ star courses (Jordan, Little Lehigh),
Some good courses (Bryan and Prompton),
some overrated courses (Tyler, yeah I know, I played the shorts, but it wasn't top 10 material and the longs would have been too difficult for me anyway),
and a terribly overrated course (Field of Dreams in NJ).

Looking back on it, I should have fought the tiredness and wrote up reviews the same day I played.

That being said, when you are going to come out and play in Michigan, Opti? #1 at Mason County Beast and #19 at Hickory Hills will show you what a real hill looks like. :)

I can't agree with you more about Tyler and I have made some enemies regarding that opinion. I have not forgotten about the offer and I still consider that deal on the table....New England is pretty sweet Greg if you ever have an excuse you got to check it out.

Well "thank you" from me and everyone else who uploads pictures. I think we all have our role to play in the DG world. Some are course reviewers, some are picture takers, otheres are TD's, evangelists to community, course designers, etc. I just don't want to feel required to write reviews though I will make a point (because of you guys) to go through all of my played courses and see what I might be able to add.

Thanks everyone for being so cool.

Hey anything we can get is appreciated it just seems that on this site New England is terribly underrepresented and it's a shame cause from what Ive played I am very impressed.....it's funny though it was like Maple Hill was getting all the love...excessive 5 disc ratings early on and there was some serious people FLIPPING out and going idleWILD when Maple took the top spot! Since then though its been quiet and the other great courses up there get little credit whatsoever.

If a course already has 4 or 5 reviews which I think are accurate I don't see the point of writing a review which is basically parroting bits of other reviews. I'm sorry if that's not helpful and yes it is DG Course REVIEW but I'm more into tracking the courses I've played and uploading missing pictures (which I'm behind on at the moment).

I'm with you on that, i've said time and time again you should be able to rate the course with out a review, being as I think everyone can gauge a course on a 5 point scale but not everyone can write or wants to write a review. So I too try and at least update any and all other info and pics that courses may be missing, I've knock out alot of conn. that was missing stuff in july and i'm like you behind on photos and info from my florida trip in sept. I think the picture people spend more time doing more for a course profile then a review.

I'm with you on that, i've said time and time again you should be able to rate the course with out a review, being as I think everyone can gauge a course on a 5 point scale but not everyone can write or wants to write a review. So I too try and at least update any and all other info and pics that courses may be missing, I've knock out alot of conn. that was missing stuff in july and i'm like you behind on photos and info from my florida trip in sept. I think the picture people spend more time doing more for a course profile then a review.

For some reason my pictures get taken down off the site.....really makes me feel unloved!

I've always wished I could rate without having to write a review. I really hate when someone writes a very good review but they get a lot of Not Helpful votes and I swear it's because they didn't cowtow to Warwick, Maple Hill, Wickham, or whatever course the locals feel is flawless.

Thumbs down are overrated. If write a review and get 4 thumbs up and 6 down, you have helped at least 4 people (not hurt 6). If you do not write a review you help none one, zilch, nada, zippo.

The way things are set up you only need more than 55% thumbs up to be a TR, so you can get an an awful lot of thumbs down without effecting that part of the motivation.

I too believe that everyone who has more than around 50 courses played should be able to enter ratings without having to write up a review. The reason for a threshold of 50 is that tons of random ratings from inexperienced players/travellers would not be valuable.

There is a ton of value in people's rating lists who have played a bunch of courses......MUCH more value IMO than yet another review that simply rehashes something that has already been written 4, 5, 6, 22, 40, or 69 (like Flip) times.

I like that 50 courses idea Dave. Nice thought.

Sure, I'm not helping anyone if I don't review...am I supposed to be helpign everyone? I'm going to site my "If there are alrady a few good reviews" comment.

Justin even a personal anecdote is helpful and theres always something thats missing from every course...as long as it's not inaccurate info I find it helpful.....even if you tell me about one hole that is a complete thrill in depth or just report one major shortcoming is better than just saying all the same generalities everyone rehashes. Dave242 did more with his idlewild review because there was some specific opinion there than probably 40 of the reviews that all rehashed the same thing. Even the worst review ever I found helpful because it expressed something about what the course was like.

Black Falls is probably one of the best kept secrets in the East. It has 4 different layouts to play ranging from pro to begginner, and amazing hole diversity. They are in the process of making Black Falls East about a 1/4 mile up the road. This is going to be a par 65 monster that will be playable by early summer, 2010. With the new addition of "Sheady Acres" Disc Golf retreat right up the road(Check out the website), Montgomery VT is becoming a disc golf vacation destination.

I just ran into Johnny Betts, the owner last week. He is not only a great player but a visionary when it comes to course design.

I am so lucky to only live 30 minutes away.

Justin even a personal anecdote is helpful and theres always something thats missing from every course...as long as it's not inaccurate info I find it helpful.....even if you tell me about one hole that is a complete thrill in depth or just report one major shortcoming is better than just saying all the same generalities everyone rehashes. Dave242 did more with his idlewild review because there was some specific opinion there than probably 40 of the reviews that all rehashed the same thing. Even the worst review ever I found helpful because it expressed something about what the course was like.

I should write a review about how nice you are Opti...uh oh I think I just made everyone sick with that one ;)

Including personal antecdotes is a great idea. Perhaps I should give that a try. Now, back to New England talk.

Good ****! I figure it's winter and theres no excuse I wanna see some more info about NE courses b4 the spring thaw....... How big is that Black Falls complex in Maine...is it comprable to Highbridge?

Good ****! I figure it's winter and theres no excuse I wanna see some more info about NE courses b4 the spring thaw....... How big is that Black Falls complex in Maine...is it comprable to Highbridge?

Nice. I have not been to Black Falls (which is in Vermont) but I think it's Sabattus, Me where there are two 18 hole courses (The Hawk which is a realistic par 56 and the Eagle is more like a 62*) and a 9 hole short course somewhat similar to the Grange's Tiki Course if you're familiar with that. Sadly, there are no Sabattus pictures. If I get up there in 2010 I will certainly be uploading many. That's a really great place.

I also have not been to Highbridge, Wi but I can say that Sabattus doesn't have any accomodations but they do have a shop in what feels like a ski lodge and they have putting areas and two driving nets like a piture would throw into. It's certainly worth the 2.5hr drive from Boston, Ma.

* Please note the par comment above. Sabattus is like most Maine courses with overinflated pars. Manytimes on Maine courses you will see anything over 300' as a par 4 so if you find the scorecard for these courses don't think they're as difficult as the par might indicate.

Latest posts