• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Innova Champion Plastic...good or bad????

tkaiser

Eagle Member
I thought it was time to make a thread dedicated to the new Champion plastic from Innova.

Lots has been said about the ROC 3/Tern and from the Roc/Tern threads, it seems people are enjoying the plastic. It also seems that this new Champ plastic is slowly appearing in other discs as well (maybe someone can confirm this).

What are your thoughts about the new plastic (not the stamp)?

How does it compare to other Innova Champ plastics (11x, pre-flight numbers, flight numbers) and has anyone done a torture test/durability test?

Personally, I like the new plastic. It seems that the grip is better then the last batch of slippery Champ stuff. While I don't think it has the superior feel to the 11x, I think it could compete with that plastic as long as the durability holds up.

So what do you think???:popcorn:

I am a fan of it for most molds. I like the slightly softer and tackier champ for the higher speed stuff, but the tern ive been throwig inth new plastic may change my mind, its really nice

I dig it.
The rc3 plastic is a really nice balance of grippy and durable

I really like the feel of the new plastic just don't care for the new stamp as much.

Any comment on how it feels compared to 11x or more popular gummier champ plastic?

Its like a stiffer opto imo in feel, i dont think its as durable. Its so hard its brittle, and what wouldve been scrapes become small gouges and chunks. But rocks will chew up any plastic so maybe thats not fair

I have a pair of beasts that were some one of the first discs in this new blend champion, the look and feel of the new champion is far better than any other innova champion disc I have ever felt. It is on par with latitudes opto. The plastic is stiff and seems to yield flatter discs. The durability is slightly less than the previous cloudy champion plastic.

I think the new plastic scuffs up pretty nasty, but otherwise so far so good.

The first Roc3 I held, I thought Opto. I don't know about the durability. Its for sure some of the better champ plastic they have had IMO. I still prefer Opto though.

I think Opto is a bit more stiff. This plastic feels like a cross between the old plastic and Opto.

I love my Opto stuff, but if they start running everything in this plastic AND stay consistent then they will start winning back some pros and fans.

I really like my Terns. The feel is good...I thought they were going to be slick at first look, but they actually have pretty good grip. The plastic looks really glassy, which I like. I did find though, when attempting an american flag dye on my F2 Tern, that it doesn't take dye too well. I had a pretty strong dye mix (iDye Poly) in red and blue and let it sit for over 9 hours. It took the dye, but it looks really faded and kind of messed up the general look of the plastic.

But other than that, I have no complaints. I've tested two Terns, including skipping them across some gravel (intentionally) and hitting a big boulder (unintentionally) and they still hold up fine. I don't think the durability is any better than the old Champion blend, but certainly not any worse, either.

Somehow my roc 3 warped pretty good, and I only brought it out for two rounds... Just realized it today when I went to pull it out for a third round

What new Champion plastic are we talking about? The new champion Eagle I bought looks and feels exactly the same as my S-line Gremlin, exact same color even and 100% Opaque.

What new Champion plastic are we talking about? The new champion Eagle I bought looks and feels exactly the same as my S-line Gremlin, exact same color even and 100% Opaque.

The same plastic as the new Totem TeeBirds, Terns and Roc3s. As for your Eagle, just because Innova has a new blend of champion plastic doesn't mean they're going to clear the shelves of existing stock.

if they start running everything in this plastic AND stay consistent then they will start winning back some pros and fans.
:clap:

For sure!

But Its Still No Opto.... JMHO

I dont know if I have a Teebird that I just picked up in this newer plastic but it is deff. gummier than my Champ plastics from a year ago, but it still has a cloudiness to it...?