• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] New Moonshine (Kastaplast?)

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
So I bought a Westside Queen box, and one of the discs is a Moonshine Maiden.

On the little slip of paper that comes with the box with disc descriptions, they mention a "new formula" for glow.

That Maiden is sitting on a shelf in my bedroom, and it glows well into the night after lights out.

Could this be part of their recent deal with Kastaplast? I know Kastapalst has some of the best glow out there.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the deal. It seems like most of Kastas stuff is the same building as Lat64 now so they are probably sharing everything.

It would be nice if Trilogy made some great plastics again though. I mean the current stuff is OK but it's not something to search out. I have a 6-7 year old Tourney Tursas that hasn't even broken in much at all, Stiff and Domey, laser straight hyzer flip to 300 feet. It's just flat out incredible how good the old stuff was. Stiffer, Grippy and lasts. Not to mention the look too of the metallics and lavas in the Goldline stuff.

I would say last years Opto/Lucid/VIP X Glimmer was great though too. My Explorer and Giant are great discs. Slow break in and feel perfect.

So I bought a Westside Queen box, and one of the discs is a Moonshine Maiden.

On the little slip of paper that comes with the box with disc descriptions, they mention a "new formula" for glow.

That Maiden is sitting on a shelf in my bedroom, and it glows well into the night after lights out.

Could this be part of their recent deal with Kastaplast? I know Kastapalst has some of the best glow out there.

I can't answer your question, but...

I got a chance to handle a few Moonshine Hatchets at my local shop. The plastic looks & feels amazing. Very consistent & super grippy. The Moonshine Bears that are currently available online are very tempting...

Edit: The above post was regarding the premium plastic Moonshine (VIP), not the base plastic Moonshine (BT).

I do not understand this sentiment.

I'd guess it refers to Kastaplast teaming up with Trilogy/Latitude 64.

Kastaplast fans are kind of exuberant and the thought of them outsourcing production probably freaks them out.

I'd guess it refers to Kastaplast teaming up with Trilogy/Latitude 64.

Kastaplast fans are kind of exuberant and the thought of them outsourcing production probably freaks them out.

OK, but do we know exactly what will change yet? Some companies are bought and nothing changes at all re: production.

I do not understand this sentiment.

This comment refers to the fact that the machines, the people, the plastics and even the building where all those great Kastaplast discs were made have all changed. All that is left is the name and imitations of the original discs, now all made by Latitude.

They cannot and will not ever be the same.

This comment refers to the fact that the machines, the people, the plastics and even the building where all those great Kastaplast discs were made have all changed. All that is left is the name and imitations of the original discs, now all made by Latitude.

So, are you saying K1 plastic is no longer going to be a thing? In other words, a K1 Berg is going to be something like a Lucid Ice Berg?

Is this all known for certain? Or is it speculation? Genuinely curious… though maybe this ain't the place.

Link?

See. Told you.

I like Kasta as much as the next person. I bag one or two Rekos, usually. Great stability for a stable throwing putter.

I also don't bag on trilogy as much as others like to around here. Lucid plastic is awesome. Breaks in a little faster than comparable "champ" plastic, but it's nowhere near as stiff and actually has grip. Great plastic for mids, IMO.

K1, I think, kinda falls in that same realm. Not as stiff, grippy, and maybe isn't as durable as Z or stiff champ. Oh well.

businesses do what they gotta to thrive. Cool.

I brought out my Kastaplast glow Stal and put it on the shelf next to the Maiden just to compare. The new Lat 64 trumps it in brightness, but not longevity. They glow all night!

Kastaplast K1 is the most durable premium plastic on the market and still has fantastic grip. It is the best of both worlds. This is what scares me as a Kastaplast fan, but on the other hand if K1 stays the same and there is opportunity to have some of the trilogy plastics as well I am all in.

Why would they change the plastic? as far as i know its still Kastaplast moulds and plastics, just made in Lat 64s factory.

Here is an article from ultiworld, ultimately, released from Latitude64s marketing department.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2022...-kastaplast-will-start-producing-their-discs/

It would be great if Lat64 got some Kastaplastics- that is the only reason Lat64 would buy Kasta, other than swallowing up competition in the European market that I can see.

Lat 64 does not have a good history with keeping molds around, with all the brands they make, Lat64, Westside, Dynamic Discs, Discmania, Kastaplast (and I am sure there are more) only about 33% of the discs they make are ever in production and then in a limited variety of plastics.

While it would be fun to have a Saint in K1 glow, I would rather have Rekos, Bergs, Sveas and Stahls stay unchanged and available in k1 plastic. I would rather have a small company totally dedicated to their discs alone. That's what we had in Kastaplast, but no more. Time will tell, but Latitudes track record on this isn't good.

So I say again- RIP Kastaplast. It was great while it lasted.

Last edited:

Latest posts