• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player needs help buying a driver

Just curious, what do you guys think of a GL River for a noob throwing backhand? The initial price and the price of replacing it if it's lost are drawbacks, but it's easy to grip (no wide rim) and stable to understable like a DX or Pro Leopard. The glide is also helpful for learning shot shaping.

sounds great, but it looks like you've outlined your own devil's advocate

a cheaper alternative is always a leopard

I'm guessing you got a shark in the package, if you did hold off on the buy a roc advice because those discs are so similar. Eventually when the shark gets so worn it doesn't fly well then think about getting a roc. The roc is considered a superior disc to the shark but don't overwhelm yourself with a bunch of discs. I'd pair your shark with something stable/straight like a coyote or mako if you stay innova brand.

I am a bigger guy so I assume I throw the disc somewhat hard but I don't know what is considered hard.

One thing you should begin beating into your head now, is that when it comes to distance + accuracy, strength means very little compared to proper form. Strong-arming discs will only get you so far.

Here in the beginning, you should concentrate on mids and fairway drivers, and ignore all places on DGCR except the Technique forum. Learn to throw these discs properly, then find yourself a "driver."

Start off with a few slower discs, and invest in a practice basket. You will thank yourself later.

Your bag: Champion Leopard 165g
DX Roc 165g
DX Aviar 175g

/thread

A good place to start. I sure wish I had done this myself....

Discs I currently have. My wife and I share these.
Leopard
Beast
Shark
Putter (not sure the name and its in my car)
MIA WRAITH

After reading this thread, hours of other threads on this site, and talking to a guy at the course today I decided I am going to buy a Teebird. I am still undecided on the second disc. I almost just went out and bought most of what was mentioned but I figured that might confuse me too much.

People keep mentioning the DX but why the DX over the champion or the star or the echo star. They all have the same ratings but is one plastic easier or harder to throw?

Here in the beginning, you should concentrate on mids and fairway drivers, and ignore all places on DGCR except the Technique forum.

This is the best piece of advice in this thread yet. Thank you deBebbler.

Disc classifications are useless anyway. Find MikeC's videos of him throwing his "putter" 350'. I guarantee he didn't get to the point where he could throw that far by looking for a new disc.

My post may sound harsh, but if you want to get better, practice is the only thing that will truly help you.

Discs I currently have. My wife and I share these.
Leopard
Beast
Shark
Putter (not sure the name and its in my car)
MIA WRAITH

After reading this thread, hours of other threads on this site, and talking to a guy at the course today I decided I am going to buy a Teebird. I am still undecided on the second disc. I almost just went out and bought most of what was mentioned but I figured that might confuse me too much.

People keep mentioning the DX but why the DX over the champion or the star or the echo star. They all have the same ratings but is one plastic easier or harder to throw?

DX is cheaper, grippier, and usually gets more glide and distance. A teebird, leopard, shark and putter is a great setup for now, maybe buy an extra putter (same as the one you already have) for practice if you really want to buy a second disc.

This....

honestly man, if I could do it all over again, I would only throw rocs and putters until I could throw 300+ feet. However, I know all new players want to throw drivers so a leopard or a stalker are both good choices.

I truly believe it is better for your game in the long run if you are money with your mids and putters. Hell, if I could throw a roc 400 ft, I wouldn't carry a single driver in my bag

THIS /\ /\ /\ /\

OK so after all this great advice here is what I have chosen to go with. I was at a store today and they had a ROC DX on clearance for $6.49 so I picked that up today. Someone did mention that the ROC and Shark are similar but for the price I decided I couldn't go wrong.
My Bag I am going
Aviar 169g
Champion Beast 167g
Wraith DX 168g
Roc 173g
Shark 150g

Now off to the techniques section I go. Thanks again for all the help
/thread

Work on your throw an worry about discs later. Learn how to work something understable like a valk or a teebird . Dial in ur throw then get discs that fit it

Latest posts