• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player : Seeking advice on his Bag

das1330

Hey Guys,

I'm a new player and I got to say I love the sport, lots of great courses in my area.

So far I've been playing for a few months and this is my bag: I was hoping for advice on what would round out my bag - so far everything is innova and DX plastic, I've put the disc's I use more on top of the list:

Putting:
Aviar Put & Approach

Mid Range:
Roc
Leopard
Shark

Long Range
TeeBird
Dragon
Destroyer
Teerex
Beast
Wraith

I was thinking of buying a Buzzz and a Magnet or Blowfly for my next disc - what improvements could I make and what discs could I remove? The TeeRex and Wraith, I don't think i've learned how to throw properly yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Also whats a great place to buy discs online especially if you're looking for just 1 or 2 discs at a time - their are not many options for non innova stuff in my area.

RHBH? what would you guess distance on roc and teebird would be? i would drop all your drives except the Teebird and Leopard... once you get those to 300-320 then i might try something a lil faster.. it will help in the long run brotha... as far as getting discs the marketplace here is great or i prefer discgolfcenter.com since they have free shipping

I'm actually Ambidextrous and have tried both RHBH and LHBH... I'm still trying to figure out which one feels more "natural" to me. I bowl right handed but hit a baseball left handed. Depending on the Day I can hit about 150-175 feet give or take with either the Roc or Teebird.

10-4... yeah brotha i would focus on a bag looking something like this...

Teebird
Leopard
Roc
Shark
Aviar

That will be enough for you to cover everything at this point.. maybe the teerexx has a random utility type disc but prob not needed.. but yeah i would stay away from anything over speed 7 for the time being

10-4... yeah brotha i would focus on a bag looking something like this...

Teebird
Leopard
Roc
Shark
Aviar

That will be enough for you to cover everything at this point.. maybe the teerexx has a random utility type disc but prob not needed.. but yeah i would stay away from anything over speed 7 for the time being

My noob $.02 would agree with ian. At 175' the Teebird will probably work as a meathook/windfighter. When it beats in and gets to that sweetspot that only a DX Teebird does, replace it with a new one & you've got hard fade & straight covered in one mold

^^^ yupp thats the beauty of the dx teebird... not throwing them atm.. testing the river.. but before i would carry 3-4 of them at all times from super beat to freshie and plus it can help find form flaws once they get worn in

Well looks like I have what I need until I figure out which arm to throw with and get some distance behind them! Thanks Guys,

Putting is something I seem to be pretty good with - Does something like the Blowfly or Magnet offer distinct advantages over the aviar putt and approach?

not really.. just all about feel and what you prefer.. the blowfly is super super gummy if you like that kind of thing ... also if you can throw RHBH and LHBH stick with it brotha will give you a nice advantage

yeah dude its no problem at all .. oh and check out the technique section on the forums some GREAT GREAT info in there brotha.. good luck and welcome to the addiction :p

I would just go super minimalist at your distances with Aviar, either Roc or Shark, and Leopard. At 175', practically every driver will act like a wind fighter. Are any of these from the starter pack (~150g)? If so, you might want to get heavier back ups in the 160s.

Those are quality, time-tested molds so definitely good to learn the game with. Welcome to the site.

I'd add that there is no compelling reason to stop throwing with both hands, and plenty of reasons to continue to do so. Having both throws gives you a shot shaped for every situation without having to master the dreaded turn-over shot, arguably the hardest "basic" shot to get a good handle on. (Alternately, some folks develop the forehand to shape shots in a similar manner.) Check out Phil Arthur in this video:

http://youtu.be/vJz2-ZBBVE4

Phil's bit starts around 8:50, he's a great example, almost mirror-image left and right handed technique.

Joe

Latest posts