• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] New Product from Small Axe

Halcón

Free At Last
There is a new product that was just recently made available from the Small Axe Disc Golf Co.

It is a hand drying powder called Chucker's Chalk.

I had the opportunity to try out some of this powder, and the results were instant. The small bottle allows for easy carry in your bag, and less mess than a powder bag. The essential oils have a great scent, and the grip is superb.

I tested it out on Proton plastic, which is notorious for being "slick." The Chucker's Chalk gave a better grip, and less finger slippage. I happen to live in a drier climate, but for those who live in the humid south, or for those who have trouble with hand moisture, this product could become an essential part of your bag. I'll probably pickup another bottle for those muggy summer days, or wetter weather.

I also got my grubby little hands on the Small Axe mini set, the Ratchet mini driver, and the Fat Bwai putter. Both combine to form a stash mini. I got the soft version, and they feel rubbery, nice and grippy.

The first thing you notice about these minis is their weight. They are much heftier than a standard mini. As far as how they fly? Ha. I laugh because the Ratchet is comically overstable. I'm not used to throwing minis, and I couldn't get it to NOT do a barrel roll to the left. I was throwing it with a super anny, and got it out to about 80 feet before it slammed into the ground.

The Fat Bwai putter is also a bit overstable, but MUCH more user friendly. I was throwing it out to 120 feet (is that good?), on a hyzer line. The weight seemed to help it stay on the line all the way to the ground. I would love to play some mini golf now that I have a mini I can throw consistently. The grippy plastic makes it easy to drive as well as putt. (Have you ever tried putting with a mini on an M-14? Talk about spitting through LOL)

The storage is what makes the Small Axe set more unique. Since the minis are larger, you can fit all kinds of little stuff in there. I was able to stuff $18.00 in quarters into the puck, and still close it tight. (My Gateway stash mini set only holds $12.00 for comparison) When the puck is closed, it also floats, due to an airtight seal. I submerged the empty, closed puck in my kitchen sink and it remained sealed even after dunking it several times.

Even after bouncing around the bag, getting tossed on the ground while holding some spare change, the puck did not open up. The seal is tight, but also easy to open when needed.

These two products will be staying in my bag, and getting a lot of use in the coming months. I look forward to chucking the Fat Bwai some more, and trying to figure out that super beefy Ratchet. :)

Try using the Fat Bwai on a mini basket. Best putting mini on the market. It was won me a lot of staff mini-golf games at the store. And yes...that Ratchet is the Firebird of minis, pure beef.

Glad you liked the chalk. My hands are still dry from it. Better than any bag or liquid I have used. It isn't your normal chalk. The texture is different and doesn't just make things dry/slick. Its a dry/grip for me. The sifter bottle is what I really like. Being able to easily apply the right amount of chalk, and not having it blow up in my bag or hand

Interesting. Any idea how much a bottle will cost?

Might be useful down here in the wet hot south. I swear, between the wind and the heat, the elements make an unusually large contribution to the challenge of playing.

^^^ I'll have to find a mini basket to test the Fat Bwai on. It putts great, I just have the wrong basket for it. My home course has Discatchers. Even those would be better than the M-14.

Interesting. Any idea how much a bottle will cost?

Might be useful down here in the wet hot south. I swear, between the wind and the heat, the elements make an unusually large contribution to the challenge of playing.

The chalk is now available on Disc Nation and affiliates

http://www.discnation.com/search.ph...categories=Y&including=all&substring=chuckers

The large bottle called "Powder Keg" holds 1 oz(net wt) of chalk. It is actually a good deal of chalk, the bottle is 5 inches tall, but the chalk is really light weight. feels like it should last a long time. The powder bottle really does allow you to limit over pouring the chalk. It is $6.99

The medium bottle is the "Blast Cap". It is half the size and priced at $4.99. The Powder keg is a pretty good value for twice the chalk.

Their stash set is NOT easy to get apart; half the time it flies open and my stuff flies everywhere due to the force needed to pop it open.

Unless you have a different set than me...

Chalk seems interesting

Their stash set is NOT easy to get apart; half the time it flies open and my stuff flies everywhere due to the force needed to pop it open.

Unless you have a different set than me...

Chalk seems interesting

I have the soft set. It stays closed, and is easy to open. The best of both worlds.

I wish mine was easy to open :(

It's great for storage space though, just sucks when all 12 of my lights fly off ontu the ground when I open it.

Small Axe changed the plastic blend. They were not satisfied with the hard to open pucks

There are new soft and medium blends that open with ease. They are focused on making the changes needed to satisfy customers.

As someone that has literally stamped thousands of the old hard to open pucks, I am grateful for the plastic change. Better grip, bolder colors, and easier "access".

I wish mine was easy to open :(

It's great for storage space though, just sucks when all 12 of my lights fly off ontu the ground when I open it.

I always open mine from the bottom first...so I guess that would be the Fat Bwai side. Seems to work easier that way.

I figured out a method; a pry off the small one slowly with my thumbs only.

I may order another set if I get bored later, but not sure I want to waste the cash right now.

Yeah FB first!

But the KC protos are tough to open even this way. But they are the most durable. The new pucks feel a bit more rubbery.

The thing I like Is that the new medium and soft have near identical grip. The only difference is the flexibility. Soft is buttery good and much better than the proto softs. You can interlock soft/med better now. The proto plastics had shrinkage issues that prevented this

8644637876_72647a9f65_o.jpg

Got my Tester sample in the mail the other day too.

This is the first time I've held a Small Axe puck set and immediate impression was how grippy and just darn meaty this thing felt. Definitely sets it apart from the other minis I have.
After previously reading posts about how tight they were, I was pleasantly surprised that the fit was snug yet easy to open. Not sure what I'm going to put in there yet, but I like it.

Plan to take the Chucker's Chalk out to a tourny tomorrow to test it out so I will have to add more later. I will say this though, Chalk is absolutely the right name for it because that's exactly what it feels like on your hands. It's a nice dry feel without being sticky or tacky.
Never had any desire to carry a chalk bag so the talc bottle style shaker top is the best thing about it so far.
Looking forward to seeing what it does for me on the course.

Bump, for a great product. It's one of those things you didn't know you needed, until you tried it.

I have a bottle of the Chucker's Chalk and I think it's great. Even though I have plenty of Champion-style plastic in my bag, I never really feel like I'm getting a good grip on it. The Chucker's Chalk lets me get a good grip without feeling sticky or gummy. I REALLY like this stuff!

Yeah FB first!

But the KC protos are tough to open even this way. But they are the most durable. The new pucks feel a bit more rubbery.

The thing I like Is that the new medium and soft have near identical grip. The only difference is the flexibility. Soft is buttery good and much better than the proto softs. You can interlock soft/med better now. The proto plastics had shrinkage issues that prevented this

I gave up on opening my KCP. Literally hurts my fingers. My wifes Phoenix Edition one opens easily though and the plastic feels nice. For some reason the Phoenix doesn't fit in the mini pocket of my Mahal though but the KCP one does. Great mini's either way though.

Yeah the KCP were a freak run. We aren't going to use that type of plastic again. The blend caused some shrinkage that made the KCP pieces fit really tight. I have opened thousands of these by hand, so trust me I understand the pain of the KCP on the fingers. The KCP plastic is slicker and the puck was smaller in general, so I see it fitting in the Mahal. I can't fit my red first run Medium into my Mahal front pocket. I just keep half of it there, and the other half in my pocket(I prefer the FB as an actual mini). The new mediums are somewhat close to the Phoenix Lights edition, but they are going to have a bit more tackiness. Super easy to open, and I am 99% certain you can mix and match all the new soft/medium pieces now.

I have received these tester products from Small Axe as well.

I received both a soft and medium Puck, because Chad and I are both on testing team, as well as some Chucker's Chalk.

I have found that both the soft and medium pucks have a trusting water-tight seal, and that it has a very good balance between tightness and ability to open. I had some earlier versions of the puck that were harder to open, but these new pucks open much better. Having experience in the plastics industry, I can appreciate the hard work that was put forth into making this improvement. The plastic blend also has great grip.

The flight of both the Rachet and Fat Bwai were overstable. I found the Rachet to be very overstable. The Fat Bwai is also overstable, but not as overstable as the Rachet. Both of these are very heavy, so they can be hucked with confidence even in windy conditions.

I was very impressed with the performance of the Chucker's Chalk. I have greasy fingers, so using premium plastic discs can sometimes be a challenge if I don't keep my hands dry and use a towel regularly. However, when I used the Chucker's chalk, it worked very well in improving my grip. It seems to do a combination of two things: absorb the grease out of my hand, and then add a great waxy feel to the disc. I could also even feel waxiness by just rubbing my fingers together.

It's been cold and wet in Michigan lately, so it would be a good time for me to use this, but I have been very busy as of lately, so I have not been able to test it out in these conditions. However, I did an experiment by intentionally getting my hands greasy from some corn chips. My grip on the disc was very poor when greasy from the corn chips. When I applied some Chucker's Chalk to my hand, it absorbed the greasiness very well. I then added a little bit more Chucker's Chalk, and then I got that great waxy feel again. Chucker's Chalk ability to absorb grease and wetness, and then provide a waxy feel is why I think this product is so great.

I apply the chalk by holding an open cap against my palm, and then shake the bottle against my hand to get the chalk on my palm. Then I rub my fingers against my palm so that I get my finger pads waxed up for my powergrip. I'm sure that everyone will have their preferred method of application.

I am excited to add a Powder Keg to my bag because I believe it will improve my game. Kudos to Small Axe Disc Golf Co for the out-of-the-box thinking for these great products.

Latest posts