• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Shoe Suggestions

Another heads up, adidasoutdoor.com is doin g their year end clearance thing and it looks like most of them are 50% off. I wish I would have waited lol

Can you put regular shoe strings in those Adidas? I'm not into that bunjie set up.

Water proof shoes can be very unbreathable. Water proof is much more important when its cold out IMO. You're almost better off with a lightweight pair of shoes that dry quickly and are breathable. at least during the summer. Water proof shoes are great but aren't really all that water proof if your feet are sweating like crazy. At least for me I'd rather go with a breathable shoe that dries quickly, unless its cold out. but anyways, good luck!

Water proof shoes can be very unbreathable. Water proof is much more important when its cold out IMO. You're almost better off with a lightweight pair of shoes that dry quickly and are breathable. at least during the summer. Water proof shoes are great but aren't really all that water proof if your feet are sweating like crazy. At least for me I'd rather go with a breathable shoe that dries quickly, unless its cold out. but anyways, good luck!

It just depends on hoe the shoes achieve their "waterproofing". Gore Tex is a water proof breathable fabric so it makes for good shoes. A bit more expensive though. Merrell puts a thin layer of plastic between the liner and shell which makes their shoes non breathable.

I think if you play in the morning, waterproof shoes are the way to go.

At least half the rounds I play require waterproof/gtx shoes. Morning rounds, even on a 90* day, where you can kick gobs of water around in the grass. Wooded courses where the sun doesn't hit spots from where it rained 3 days before. On hot days it's all about rotating fresh socks.

Not required, you just like it.
I can't stand the swampy, stale environment of a waterproof shoe.
Far better for me to have a shoe that allows airflow and pair it with excellent merino wool socks. The socks are the key.

Far better for me to have a shoe that allows airflow and pair it with excellent merino wool socks. The socks are the key.

Yea, cotton socks just plain old suck. But, if they're your go to sock.. I could see why you'd want waterproof.. ummm maybe?

I once watched someone who had just touted the waterproofness of his shoes step in the same puddle I did. His feet were wet for hours after mine had dried.

Yea, cotton socks just plain old suck. But, if they're your go to sock.. I could see why you'd want waterproof.. ummm maybe?

I once watched someone who had just touted the waterproofness of his shoes step in the same puddle I did. His feet were wet for hours after mine had dried.

Yep, that's the issue. If you get wet feet in a waterproof shoe, either because water got in or you sweat like crazy in cotton socks, it's not drying out and it's getting funky.

To each their own. I wear my water proof shoes in 100 summer heat and have no issues with swamp foot. I can't stand wool socks.

To each their own. I wear my water proof shoes in 100 summer heat and have no issues with swamp foot. I can't stand wool socks.

Yep, that's fair. To each their own indeed.
Have you tried nice, lightweight merino wool? I'm in love with my darn tough socks for summer use.

Yep, that's fair. To each their own indeed.
Have you tried nice, lightweight merino wool? I'm in love with my darn tough socks for summer use.

When I used to go winter camping, backpacking, x country skiing and snowshoeing (living in upstate NY), I would wear wool with poly liner socks. not sure if it was merino or not. It just does not get cold enough here (NC) to need them.

I switched after my visit to Harmon Hills. It was not the light rain that fell most of the day, it was the grass soaking my feet in the first 3 holes that made the day less than perfect. It wasn't cold it was the squishing sound with each step and the prune feet after 27 holes. I've only bought waterproof kicks since then.

There's a big difference between wool hiking socks, and wool running socks. ;)

My wool socks are thinner, lighter, and cooler, than most of the cotton 'athletic' socks I have.

edit: but, when I say 'wool socks' most people think thick, heavy and scratchy. I get it.

When I used to go winter camping, backpacking, x country skiing and snowshoeing (living in upstate NY), I would wear wool with poly liner socks. not sure if it was merino or not. It just does not get cold enough here (NC) to need them.

I switched after my visit to Harmon Hills. It was not the light rain that fell most of the day, it was the grass soaking my feet in the first 3 holes that made the day less than perfect. It wasn't cold it was the squishing sound with each step and the prune feet after 27 holes. I've only bought waterproof kicks since then.

That makes sense. I get it.
I point out lightweight merino wool like darn tough because it's actually cooler in the summer. They're very light and they draw the moisture away from your skin. I've switched almost exclusively to wool now, and vary the thickness based on temp and activity.
Extra bonus points for lifetime guarantee and not having to wash them every time you wear them.