• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New shoes

ejvogie

Lifer
Premium Member
Looking for a new pair of disc golf/everyday shoes. All the courses near me have concrete teepads, and I'm walking on hard surfaces/pavement/brick all day at work.

The Keen Targhee IIs I bought one year ago are NOT holding up like I had hoped, as the soles are worn very thin and are peeling off. 2 of the fabric loops for the laces have broken, and most of the others are getting close.

The Merrell Moabs I bought 3 years ago were better, lasting me 2 years, but the shoe started to peel away from the sole.

Find a shoe that will work for me.

Levels of difficulty:

- Vibram sole. I want to support a manufacturer that supports DG. If there's another mfr. (besides Keen) that does, I'm open to suggestions.
- MUST be available in a mid-height
- Priced under or near $100. I've found a pair of Merrell Chameleon 4s on sale for $99.97 and don't want to spend much more.
- NO Keens. I'm fairly put off by my current shoes' performance

Thanks!

I'm rocking a pair of New Balance minimus shoes right now that are surprisingly good. They make them with Vibram soles, but the pair I am wearing doesn't have them (I wish it did, they would wear slower). I was surprised at how supportive and cushioned my feet were with such thin soles, I like them. I used to wear a pair of adidas terrex swift solo's that were awesome as well, they got kinda funky after a lot of wet days this winter.

May be hard pressed to find a pair under a hundred bucks but I will never golf in anything but Solomon trail runners ever again.

I don't know if you're going to find a pair better than merrell moabs, especially if your last pair lasted you 2 years. I don't know how you can possibly expect more from a disc golf AND everyday shoe

I personally like the Northface GTX Hedgehog III's.

Vibram Sole too :thmbup:

theno436931_232664_jb1.jpg

Last edited:
I just got a pair of the Merrell Moabs last friday and I'm already freaking out wondering how well the vibram sole is gonna wear because I have some rubbage already on the toe.

Looking for a new pair of disc golf/everyday shoes. All the courses near me have concrete teepads, and I'm walking on hard surfaces/pavement/brick all day at work.

The Keen Targhee IIs I bought one year ago are NOT holding up like I had hoped, as the soles are worn very thin and are peeling off. 2 of the fabric loops for the laces have broken, and most of the others are getting close.

The Merrell Moabs I bought 3 years ago were better, lasting me 2 years, but the shoe started to peel away from the sole.

Find a shoe that will work for me.

Levels of difficulty:

- Vibram sole. I want to support a manufacturer that supports DG. If there's another mfr. (besides Keen) that does, I'm open to suggestions.
- MUST be available in a mid-height
- Priced under or near $100. I've found a pair of Merrell Chameleon 4s on sale for $99.97 and don't want to spend much more.
- NO Keens. I'm fairly put off by my current shoes' performance

Thanks!

Yu should contact Keen. If your shoes are like you described after one year, they will replace them for free.

I completely agree with Bender. Give the North Face's a try. Most comfortable shoe in the catagory I have tried, and I've tried almost all of them. Wore mine all winter long on and off the course and they still look almost new. North Face stuff just plain works for me.

I completely agree. Most comfortable shoe in the catagory I have tried, and I've tried almost all of them. Wore mine all winter long on and off the course and they still look almost new. North Face stuff just plain works for me.

I don't support North Face. I had a pair of Hedgehog mids GTX and they blew apart within one season. I'm not that hard on shoes and generally can make them last 5+ years.

Not a good company, in my opinion.

I highly recommend anything made by Zamberlan.

I personally like the Northface GTX Hedgehog III's.

Vibram Sole too :thmbup:

theno436931_232664_jb1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I just bought a pair of these. They're Gore-tex so they repel the water but still breathe. I've only had mine a month so I can't say yet how they will hold up over the long run, but i'm liking them so far. If they don't hold up well, I bought them at REI so I can just return them for something else. Downside for you would be that they were priced at $120.

REI is having a sale of up to 30% off from the 17-27th.
The shoes I swear by are the Oboz Firebrand II hiking shoes. They are on sale for $99.99
I burn through shoes regardless of what brand but these shoes have lasted me the longest.
Worth the $$ IMO.

Edit: I'm about to buy my third pair of these.

Latest posts