• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to disc golf looking for innova recommendations

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
Hello all. New to the site and to the game of disc golf. I purchased two discraft starter sets and I'd like to purchase an innova disc or two to compare. I'm thinking about getter a putter and driver. I know I should start out with just 3 discs as a beginner but the temptation of trying new discs is too great :) Here are the discraft discs that I own.

Drivers

Avenger SS Pro D 165g
XL Pro D 155g

Mids

Buzzz Pro D 168g
X Comet 160g

Putters

Soft Magnet Pro D 175g
X Soft Focus 165g

Here are the discs that I'm thinking about getting "all in dx plastic"

Aviar P&A
Dart
Leopard
Valkyrie
TeeBird
Roc

Which two should I go with or do you recommend one not on my list? Thanks for any help.

valkrie is alot like your advenger ss and roc is alot like your buzz, so if you like the way they throw then you can get the innova counter disc to them

There is a great raging debate about buzzz vs. roc. I have both (and am relatively new to the sport), and I don't think they are similar, but that's probably because my form is not very well refined (yet). Actually, I don't really like either of them as much as I like my shark and comet.

As a beginner, I really appreciate the leopard, because I can control it to some extent. Highly recommend it.

I have both a dart and aviar putter, I never use the aviar, it's too squirrely for me. Love the dart.

Aviar, Roc, and Teebird are among the most successful discs ever, from top pros down to beginners. Sooner or later you're bound to try them; might as well be now.

The Roc and Buzz are comparable; hence the heated debates about which is better. It seems that almost everyone who has thrown both, keeps one or the other. Again, you want to know which you love until you've tried them both.

It's a pretty good group you've picked. If there's one I'd hesitate on, it's the Dart; I know some folks who love it and throw it very well, but not many.

150 Champ Leopard!!! DX will get destroyed way too fast.

I agree that DX plastic will wear out before you know it. But if you're set on that, try a Teebird. I think it's hard to hate an Aviar putter if you're new, too. They just go so straight.

I've had success during my restart in disc golf having a Champion Leopard for straight shots and a Pro Leopard (broken in) for the understable shots. For overstable I am tossing a DX Gazelle until I'm consistent with the Teebird. Never took to the Aviar, but liked the Dart (as mentioned above). In midrange I get good service out of a DX Stingray while I patiently wait for my Roc to get flippy. Finally, I am not touching distance drivers until I can chuck over 325' consistently.

Aviar P&A
Dart
Leopard
Valkyrie
TeeBird
Roc

This reads like an all-star list of Innova's best discs. :thmbup: Anything (or everything) on this list will serve you well. I'm glad to read your interest in the Dart, because it seems like a lot of people get an Aviar for their first putter and don't try anything else for years. Putting is so much about "feel" and personal taste that it's worth trying out a bunch of molds and brands to see what you like. Otherwise you may not know what you're missing.

How far are you throwing consistently with your drivers? Some good discs for any skill level are the Leopard, Teebird, Eagle, Aviar P&A, Stingray & Roc. Also the Buzzz vs Roc debate is pointless because they don't even have the same flight characteristics. The debate started back when there was few companies besides Discraft & Innova & their flagship Mids were the Roc & Buzzz. Most people who throw Rocs like to cycle them & most people who throw the Buzzz pair it with other discs to cover all their Mid slots. You could have a fresh Roc & Buzzz in your bag with no overlap at all. The debate is rendered even more moot now because of all the newer companies that have popped up with molds similar to these discs.

Get used to that Comet (and maybe get one in Z), and you'll be able to do most anything with...except fight wind. That Pro-D Buzzz will beat in quick and get super flippy...when it does, try Z or ESP.

Leopard/Teebird is a pretty unbeatable combo. Once you get used to it, the Leopard will cover most of what a Valk can do, albeit with a bit less distance.

Aviars are popular putters, but if you can get your hands on something from Gateway (everyone loves Wizards), they are damn near infallible.

How far are you throwing consistently with your drivers? Some good discs for any skill level are the Leopard, Teebird, Eagle, Aviar P&A, Stingray & Roc. Also the Buzzz vs Roc debate is pointless because they don't even have the same flight characteristics. The debate started back when there was few companies besides Discraft & Innova & their flagship Mids were the Roc & Buzzz. Most people who throw Rocs like to cycle them & most people who throw the Buzzz pair it with other discs to cover all their Mid slots. You could have a fresh Roc & Buzzz in your bag with no overlap at all. The debate is rendered even more moot now because of all the newer companies that have popped up with molds similar to these discs.

I've always wondered this myself. I've got a couple Rocs, and they fly nothing like my Buzzz's.

Brand name doesnt matter, flight characteristic and weight do

I started playing this spring and couldnt resist trying different discs either...... $500 dollars later i have the 6-10 discs i use and a bag full of loaners for friends and family to try out. The one thing i quickly learned is , if you are buying discs that are too heavy, they will not fly true to the ratings..... check out joes flight chart . when i was throwing around 250-270 150 class was the ticket. Now i can throw 300-350 and 160grams seems to be the trick. Midrange and putters i throw 170gram to help fight the wind.

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

I have found his "power" rating system helps me find discs that fit into my power range and give me the best distance results.

All that being said......
-leopards are pretty awesome and capable of going over 300ft
-something super straight , like a mako mid will give you the most feed back on your form. ( i still throw a mako)
-Putters are all about feel and comfort in your grip (imo) I like the aviar driver bb because of the way my pointer finger sets in the bead with a fan grip. (But i cant drive or approach with it cause the rim is huge and hangs up on release) I had a dart, and it was better for approach/drives, but it could blow by the basket as its little fast.

Can't go wrong with a TeeBird or Leopard
But, I'd buy mid to high 160's champ plastic, not DX
It'll be more expensive, but you'll keep it in the bag longer.
Also, the Marketplace sub-forum on this site, is a great place to get cheap/used plastic you want to try.

^ Honestly, I would buy them both in DX and Champ. I love DX teebirds, they really rip, but a few tree hits, and it's done.

DX is a good choice. Nothing wrong at all with DX. All weather grip and performance. It will also teach you how discs wear and how to cycle them. You can also tune them as they get too flippy....get good at that and you will really understand disc flight.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I think I'll be going with a low weight Leopard and I'm leaning towards getting the Dart. If I like them I may go back and purchase the other discs from my list. Thanks again and feel free to keep sharing your thoughts as you may convince me to buy a third disc or you may help other new disc golfers who find this thread.

Latest posts