• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to disc golf looking for innova recommendations

I must say man try a teebird. I did not try that disc until this summer when I figured out that I started out way too high speed. Got my hands on a tb, tl combo and began working out all the kinks. Now I have valks in the bag and will say once you are ready for them you cant go wrong with a Valkyrie. They are great first distance drivers. As for the roc, it is just not for me, I don't like big beaded discs. Now aviars I like the small or no bead ones a lot. as a matter of fact I own a flygirl stamped one in dx and it is a super disc. I love leopards, just don't bag one right now. I also want to say that I am happy you are staying away from the high speed stuff. That was my mistake and it sucked having to relearn everything.

I wouldn't buy anything at this point. You got everything covered. Do not get a Valk or T-bird until you can rip it 300 or so. If you do get a roc or aviar get the KC plastic max weight. Maybe you're not ready for max weight.

In that case, don't buy anything at this point. Maybe a Leopard, compare that to your XL and choose one.

I am a fairly new player as well, but I would say that the best discs to help me get going and learn how to throw properly so I could begin to get the muscle memory down to increase my distance were the following:

-I think a Classic Roc is a great disc to work on approaches, then upgrade to a Champion Roc, or Champion Roc3
-Star Mako (the look to upgrade to the Champion Mako3)
-A Millinnium QMS will also hold very straight lines and keep you honest
-Champion Shark (once you get it flying right, upgrade to Champion Shark3)

after you get comfortable with these discs, look to get some stable- or understable drivers.

-When you first start driving, a Latitude 64 Diamond is a really good disc to help you get some distance, but don't be surprised if you grow out of it fairly quickly.
-I also feel that the best first driver once you begin getting good form is a Champion Leopard.
-I LOVE the Latitude 64 River; it is a great disc- early on, and it may stay in your bag for as long as you live.
-I love my Millinnium Polaris drivers, they were my first really solid and consistent drivers. I keep the Polaris in my bag, but have found myself using Astra's and the JLS a lot as well.
-An Innova Champion TL is a great disc as well to help you get some good lines (I have found my Millinium QJLS does almost performs almost identical to my Champion TL... has the same feel and flight pattern).

This is a good start, at least for me it has been. I hope that this helps some.

like everyone else has said you can't go wrong with a leopard, I would go with one in the champ plastic, also look into getting a star lite valkyrie and a champ valk(160's)

I like the panther for a slightly understable midrange.

The roc is a good overstable midrange. People like to compare it to the buzzz. I don't find that to be true at all. When you throw a buzzz the way you should it will go almost straight. The roc is definitely overstable, and doesn't have the same glide. Because of that I find it a little more dependable.

Valkyrie is a good, slow distance driver for new players (like me) whose arm isn't up to speed because it's stable and has the slowest speed you'll find on a "distance driver".

The only fairway driver I have right now is a teebird. I love it. Easy flick disc. Give it a decent rip and it's a great backhand disc too. It will fly dead straight before finishing with some decent, reliable fade. I'm picking up more fairway drivers because I've found that distance drivers aren't too useful (for me) in most of the wooded courses I play.

For putters, can't go wrong with an aviar. I have the standard aviar in star plastic and it's one of the two putters I carry, the other being discraft's soft banger. Banger for long putts, aviar for shorter ones.

Hopefully this novel helps. Let us know what you wind up liking!

I'm a big innova fan but, you have a Buzzz so don't worry about a Roc for now.

The leopard is a great disc and you should do yourself a favor and get one. I have a river and it is a similar disc, anyone looking for a leopard would love it.

Putters are very personal so you just have to try a few until you get one you like. I use a Innova XD and a Latitude 64 Spike.

Try a TL before the Teebird, it might have to much fade for you starting out.

Also one disc that people don't recommend most of the time is the Cobra, I started with a shark and when I got a Cobra it changed my game. I started learning different lines so easily and at a beginner arm speed level it flies like a laser. I still don't understand why it is not in the Innova beginners pack. It is still in my bag for turnovers and rollers.

The roc is a good overstable midrange. People like to compare it to the buzzz. I don't find that to be true at all. When you throw a buzzz the way you should it will go almost straight. The roc is definitely overstable, and doesn't have the same glide. Because of that I find it a little more dependable.

I agree, especially in Pro D it is nothing like the Roc. My FLX would probably be closer though for some reason it has a large fade even compared to Z.

I bought base plastic (DX, Pro-D, etc) for my first couple of years until I was able to discover what types of discs I liked best. Cheap and easy, so no worries trying out Innova DX right now.

Spider - good midrange, better for beginners than a ROC in my opinion
Cobra - understable and can get fairway driver type distances
Leopard or Cheetah are both good entry level fairway drivers

not sure if they've been thrown out there yet but a Z meteor and a zombie are good beginner discs meteor's a nice fairly slow mid with low stability one of my favorite's for shaped drives under 300ft. The Zombie claims to be a distance driver but is really more just a long fast mid range or a slow fairway driver I keep them in my bag all the time almost identical to a buzz just goes a little further with the same amount of effort.

I'm a big innova fan but, you have a Buzzz so don't worry about a Roc for now.

The leopard is a great disc and you should do yourself a favor and get one. I have a river and it is a similar disc, anyone looking for a leopard would love it.

Putters are very personal so you just have to try a few until you get one you like. I use a Innova XD and a Latitude 64 Spike.

Try a TL before the Teebird, it might have to much fade for you starting out.

Also one disc that people don't recommend most of the time is the Cobra, I started with a shark and when I got a Cobra it changed my game. I started learning different lines so easily and at a beginner arm speed level it flies like a laser. I still don't understand why it is not in the Innova beginners pack. It is still in my bag for turnovers and rollers.

I generally agree with the above recommendations. I think you will hate the Teebird because it will just fly had left on you. My first three discs included an Eagle and I almost quit in the very beginning. I also agree that a Cobra is a great disc. I started out with a Stingray as one of my first three discs and I usually have it in the bag. However, if you only have one mid other than a Buzzz, I would suggest a Cobra. It will teach you more than most discs. I love a FLX Buzzz. It is my favorite mid. It will tend to flop and stop more often in that plastic on approaches.

I recommend either a Valkyrie or Sidewinder as your Innova driver. I always have a Sidewinder. I think a lighter Valkyrie is a great beginner disc. It was the first driver I had that I could actually throw. I also recommend an Aviar Putt and Approach.

Finally, I really never liked a Leopard. I much preferred a Valkyrie or Sidewinder.

Last edited:
You are looking at the right molds overall.

My advice would be to stick with fairway drivers and slower for now. I wouldn't worry about a Valk until you can throw slower drivers around 300' with control.

The Teebird and Leopard are two of Innovas best discs in this speed range.

DX discs are great for learning with, trying out molds etc. But as you decide what you like you should invest in more durable discs.

Not every disc is best in champ though. For putters and mids you're often better off sticking with DX and Pro (D or X) plastics because they don't tend to get beat up as quick, and they generally offer better glide.

If I were in your position these are the discs I would buy:

Drivers: 160-170g star teebird, 165-170 pro leopard
Mids: 170-172 DX or KC Rancho Roc
Putter: 170-175 Aviar in DX or Pro plastic. They make beadless and beaded versions. I would pick the one that feels more comfortable to you.

Aviars are good for putts and approach shots. You should also try driving with your putters! It sounds stupid but its an important skill to have.

Rocs are very dependable approach discs, and great for short holes. Learn to use their fade for accurate placement.

The Teebird would most likely be overstable for you. It will be a long lasting disc in star and able to hold up to a stiff headwind, and be a dependable hyzer disc.

The Pro Leopard will be straighter for you and might take a bit of use to fly its best. It will be a more workable go to driver than the Teebird most likely.

Last edited:
Can't believe more people haven't recommended the Mako, I've had a Star Mako in bag for as long as I can remember and it's a great disc to learn on as well. It would definitely be my best investment in a disc as of yet.

You got it:

Aviar, Roc, Leopard or Teebird, Valkyrie

Leopard might be better to start, since it is less stable and will go straighter with less power. If it is turning over to the right (assuming you throw backhanded and are right handed), replace it with a Teebird.

Anyway, all those are great choices.

Other possible choices from other manufacturers:

Lat64: Pure, Diamond, River
MVP: Anode, Tangent, Amp

I would also recommend a Pro D Magnet, keep the Buzz and the Avenger SS and just play with those for a while, and you will learn that you don't need many Innova discs. I only have a Roadrunner and Wraith in my bag

To be honest if your new a roc isn't good yet. You'll develop to many bad habits trying to get it to glide correctly. then when you feel a true "hit" you'll realize you have to re learn how to not throw with OAT. Get a champ leo max weight it will be stable enough for you while you learn. then when you are able to throw that flat and hard and it flies dead strait. get a teebird.

as far as midrange id get a dx shark around 160 grams. or a stingray. throw them both and whichever flies strait the easiest for you id stick to that for a while. keep buying dx sharks or stingrays until you can turn them over when they are brand new. keep those for anny's and then get a few glow DX rocs. throw 1 of them as much as you can and learn how that flys as it wears in. once you learn it remember the shots you have with it then only use it for those shots. start throwing your next roc to wear it on for other shots. always have a new one in your bag for backup/stability

putters are personal id never tell anyone the best putter out there is a Glow kc pro aviar.....its what you like. and remember that learning to throw strait first will give you distance later.

i wish i would have learned that way....ill tell ya what its awesome to throw far. to only hit the furthest tree because i couldn't throw strait.

edit: and something else i wish i would have done early. throw in the dam field for a few minutes before playing. ex: throw every disc in my bag 3 times doing different types of shots with each disc. Hyzer/Flat/Anny
i learned how to do rollers by accident just becuase i decided to rip my stingray on a low anny shot in the field. you never know what kind of shot you will find if you dont try it in a safe place you wont lose your stuff in.

Last edited:

Latest posts