• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

Hey Disc Golfers,

I am new to disc golf, (into third week), and am absorbing as much "how to" as possible. I play a lot of ball golf but there is time for both.

My nick is Conch, I am a geezer, live in SC and have already gotten a sore arm from all my practicing.

There is a disc club here which I plan on joining shortly but would also like a "world" view of the game and this site looks worthy.

After I finish this intro I plan on asking some stupid questions in other topics so take it easy on me ... or not.

I look forward to interacting with you.

Conch

Hi. Some disc golf world champions play golf to maintain muscle balance with the swing going the opposite way of the back hand throw.

So many new guys showing up. Very pimp. Welcome all!

Everyone should play ball golf and disc golf. They compliment each other well.

What about us who can't afford the greens fees at the country club? I can't even afford the veteran's fees! One trip to the ball golf course cost as much as 5 or more discs and I can play those discs for years for free on a disc golf course.

Wish I could still play ball golf, but I play disc golf because I'm poor. :(

Local munis shouldn't cost too much and you can always find deals online to cheapen a round. I do sympathize though since I started playing DG b/c I couldn't afford ball golf after college.

Hello DGR,

I've been playing disc golf for 2+ years and I've been lurking here for almost that long. I'm a computer dork with crappy form but I'm having fun. If anyone's stopping in central Ga and wants to play a round hit me up. I've entered a few tournaments over the past year and really enjoy the entire atmosphere. ...and a good reason to have a few days away from the house.

This should be fun
Gordo

Sorry not much ball golf here but we are opening a disc golf course on a ball golf course by this fall. Does that count?

Another new GA board member.

New to DG as well. Started playing in December. Been lurking here most of 2011.

No ball golf here either. I played it a few times, but quickly discovered how much it would cost me to become good at... Then I took up amateur car club racing :shock:

I've met a lot of great people on the course so far. Hope that trend continues.

Hey guy new to the board from Tulsa OK. Been playing disc golf for less than a year. I don't feel I'm any good, but I love the sport and I see improvements everytime I play so I'm keeping at it. met some cool guys on the courses and hope that keeps up. Got into disc golf cause the guy I share an office with at work is big into it and it sounded fun. Thanks for the cool site.

Isn't DGR member Bradley_Walker in Tulsa running a guitar/disc golf shop? He might be able to give you instruction. He's good with the theory and practice of disc golf.

JR said:
Isn't DGR member Bradley_Walker in Tulsa running a guitar/disc golf shop? He might be able to give you instruction. He's good with the theory and practice of disc golf.

Cool might try to look him up. I'm always looking for tips and tricks. And he has a shop with my 2 favorite past times guitar and disc golf.

Dbuntu said:
New to the board and the sport. Been playing Ultimate for near a decade. Some friends took me out for DG a few weeks back and it's a really nice game.
I'm here in hopes of finding the right discs for me. I can put a 175 Ultrastar anywhere I want up to 300ish ft. LHBH or LHFH, but these golf discs don't fly the way I expect them to. I've tried stables,overs, and unders and they all fly about the same for me; that's to say hooking to the right in the end no matter how much left cut I put on the throw. Are there any drivers/mid-range that don't do this?
Then the exact opposite question: I sometimes find myself wanting to throw what we Ultimate folks call an inside-out where the release point has the disc angled towards the ground and flies in a consistent and smooth bank (if I'm throwing LHBH it banks out right). Every time I've tried throwing a golf disc this way it goes about 20 yards and nosedives to the ground. Are there any discs designed to be thrown with that kind of release?

I'd be grateful for any input into what type of discs I might want to try. Thanks.

Welcome to Disc golf.
Im a competitive Ultimate player and think I can help you out. You have to realize something when throwing golf discs, you arent throwing an ultrastar! These discs just dont throw the same, they want to cut inside out every time. In order to get an ultimate disc far you need to maximize spin on the disc; with a golf disc, you need to put more arm power behind the disc along with spin.
If your going to throw an inside out (the flightpath is called a hyzer in DG), you need to put the disc a lot higher, and put less of a downward angle on it.
To get distance you must learn to throw these with a lot of "outside in." Imagine you're being trapped on the right sideline on your own goal line in an ultimate game, you have a deep cut going from the stack towards the opposite endzone and you're on stall 8; the only way you can get him the disc is to reach out of bounds and throw a big outside in that will come back inbounds about 10 ft before the receiver catches it. You need to try to throw a disc golf driver this same way.
Another good way to learn how to shape your throws is to grab a midrange and play catch with a buddy 100-200 ft. apart. Try all of your different ultimate tosses and you'll learn how a golf disc wants to fly.
I really havent found a disc that flies that similarly to an ultrastar, to advance in DG you really just need to make these discs fly the way you want. Its tough to learn, but once you understand how they fly, its a ton of fun to figure out the different things you can do with golf discs. Also, you already have a huge advantage over a lot of DG'rs because of all the different types of throws you know how to toss from ultimate (scoobers work great for approach shots! They slide right upto the basket!)
See if your friends have an old super beat up driver they can lone you, something not super overstable, a beast, wraith, Valkyrie, orc, surge, or something of that sort. A beat up disc wont turn nearly as hard for you. If you're looking to buy a new disc I would recommend trying a light (165ish gram) stable-understable driver, something like a TD rush, valkyrie, river, or flow.
If none of this works, just start throwing thumbers on every hole... until your arm falls off.
I hope this incredibly long winded post helped you out, If you have any questions feel free to ask!

I'm Andy
I learned to play in Denver a few summers ago and if you ever played in any of the Eagle Rock tournaments, I dug tees, holes for the pins, and printed and mounted the maps.
I'm since moved to Alaska, where I learned that an awesome place for disc golf is a national level cross country ski course. It has broad fairways with many trees to curve around in both directions. It rewards good shots, but isn't frustrating to newbies. Lots of gentle slopes and curves in the same hole, as well as an obvious path to follow between holes.
I throw my Beast and Shark LHFH
And my Aviar P&A and Shark LHBH or RHBH as needed
Call it Ambisinister.

kiseki said:
I'm Andy
I learned to play in Denver a few summers ago and if you ever played in any of the Eagle Rock tournaments, I dug tees, holes for the pins, and printed and mounted the maps.
I'm since moved to Alaska, where I learned that an awesome place for disc golf is a national level cross country ski course. It has broad fairways with many trees to curve around in both directions. It rewards good shots, but isn't frustrating to newbies. Lots of gentle slopes and curves in the same hole, as well as an obvious path to follow between holes.
I throw my Beast and Shark LHFH
And my Aviar P&A and Shark LHBH or RHBH as needed
Call it Ambisinister.

What's up Andy? There are a few of us Alaskans on the board - have you played any of our leagues or tourneys yet? It sounds like you've been enjoying Kincaid Park - definitely my favorite course in the state. There's a tourney this weekend in Homer at the Moose Pretzel Disc Golf Course. Definitely worth making the road trip for if you're into the tourney thing.

I lived in the Anchorage area for a while, but now I'm in Fairbanks.
Thanks for the invitation, but I have guests arriving this week.

kiseki said:
I lived in the Anchorage area for a while, but now I'm in Fairbanks.
Thanks for the invitation, but I have guests arriving this week.

Nice! How do you like Birch Hill? I haven't played it yet but will for the first time at the Solstice tourney coming up. Are you planning on playing that? I think it's the 18th...

Hey guys n gals! I'm new to Disc golf. I'm 15 years old and am inlove with this sport! My current disc's are Innova beast 2x, Innova Champion Valkyrie, And a Innova putter. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for welcoming me!

We'll be up there next weekend to play that tourney at Birch Hill....can't wait! A new course to play.

Champion Valkyrie said:
Hey guys n gals! I'm new to Disc golf. I'm 15 years old and am inlove with this sport! My current disc's are Innova beast 2x, Innova Champion Valkyrie, And a Innova putter. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for welcoming me!

Hi and welcome. You need a midrange disc at the least and depending on the courses you play maybe a fairway driver too. Valkyrie is versatile but on the fast side.