• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

AFAIK, no disc when thrown RHBH inherently "wants" to turn right. But there are two ways of achieving it. First is an anhyzer, angling the disc in your reach back so that it comes out of your throw already going to the right (looks like \ from behind). Second way is a turnover shot. If you throw a stable or understable disc hard and nose down they have the tendency to turn depending on the disc. Hope this helps I'm a noob

JR said:
Welcome. Are you at the point in your career that you know what the best wind beating discs are? I'v heard that around your parts winds can be pretty rough.
It usually depends. It does get pretty windy here, but surprisingly it isn't bad. Unless I have gotten used to it haha. It really depends on the hole or how I am playing lol. Banshee is always good, sidewinder, force, even teebird... really depends on the wind and how I am throwing haha

allsport1313 said:
AFAIK, no disc when thrown RHBH inherently "wants" to turn right. But there are two ways of achieving it. First is an anhyzer, angling the disc in your reach back so that it comes out of your throw already going to the right (looks like \ from behind). Second way is a turnover shot. If you throw a stable or understable disc hard and nose down they have the tendency to turn depending on the disc. Hope this helps I'm a noob

Actually, all discs want to turn right RHBH. What keeps them from doing so is stability. So it depends on the disc and the power at which you throw it. Champ and Star Roadrunners actually need a lot more power than you might think to get them to turn right. Aerodriver, Look up "PLH". Stick around the forum and you'll learn a lot. Welcome!

Howdy, folks. Nice to have a thread to introduce myself.

I got bit by the disc golf bug after playing a round with my brother this summer (also a newbie). I have a background in athletics (football and wrestling growing up), but have mostly focused on music for the last ten years or so. It's been nice to get back into a physical discipline: being a good disc golfer is as hard as being good at anything else, obviously, but it's gratifying to be involved with something with such direct feedback. There are times where I wish discerning whether a musical execution was successful or not was as easy as discerning whether a throw is successful or not. I'm sure there's a lot of grey area to encounter (I'm already hitting that first ceiling technique-wise), but for now, I'm still in the honeymoon phase. : P Will probably throw my bag up here at some point, but in the meantime, I wanted to say "hello."

Much appreciated for all this site has to offer: it's been a boon to discover it so early in my disc golfing life. Look forward to getting to know some of you better.

Hi and welcome. What are the courses like there now that you've had several storms of too large proportions? We've lost only IIRC about 7-8 trees on one course from storm winds in a few years being by the sea and with relatively few active club members clearing even those has been a chore because most of them have blocked fairways.

I've only played one of the two local courses, City Park, since Lafreniere is notoriously crowded with pedestrians if you don't get there in the morning, and mornings are tough for me. City Park has fared really well: no major trees on the course were uprooted. There was a lot of debris after Isaac, but the only major disruptions were the debris piles the park clean-up crew formed on two of the holes, one of which was pretty disruptive and sat there for weeks. Not sure why they couldn't find another spot to dump everything. :p That aside, we were really fortunate: it was the city suburbs, especially those on the wrong side of the levees, which got hit the hardest.

Although the storms are of course a downside to living here, now that it's late October, I'm starting to realize how fortunate I am that I'll be able to play outside year round!

Q

Welcome to DGR,
Welcome to Disc Golf
Welcome to NOTeam
http://noteamdiscgolf.com/

img_0564.jpg

We have the characters to keep you on your toes,
the weather to keep your toes warm
and baskets just waiting to be planted.
img_0299.jpg

Try to find your way to Lafreniere Park for a Sunday 8 am tag round.

steve timm

Thanks for the welcome, Steve! ACTUALLY, I believe I returned a disc of yours to you via a third party a while back: it was a white Buzzz, dyed with a handicapped parking sign. I found it off hole 10 at City Park, passed it along to Nick, who seems to be an active part of NOLA disc golf. I hope it found its way to you!

In any event, I look forward to meeting you in person at some point, and to getting to know NO Team!

Hey everybody...I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now trying to digest all the great info in here and figured I'd actually register and introduce myself. My name is Ben and
I've played on and off for a while but would like to get a little more serious and actually improve a bit. I live in Socal so no real weather issues to fight and year round golf for me :D

Thanks in advance for all the tips I've been and will continue to steal from everyone's experience here

Hello everyone, brand new to the sport and this forum. My brother and his family came down for Thanksgiving and got me started on something I had never heard of before. Have been a few times since he went back home. I only have three discs and still learning control, looking to get some more discs as soon as I can. My wife and my youngest son love playing as well so I'll have to get quite a few discs. I would like to meet up with anybody that lives around the Beaumont Texas area to learn from. I go to the Kountze Park because it's on the way home from work and I've been to Klien Park. Glad to be here.

hey guys. new to the board. i live in oklahoma city, oklahoma. will rogers is my home course. my favorite disc is a star eagle. iv been playing about 3 months.iv gotten 1 ace. my drives are around 280ft. i throw rhbh. always looking to improve my game. and i am very grateful for any tips. in my bag; star valkyrie, star eagle, buzzz, kc aviar putter, and champion firebird. all around 168- 172g. and i use a 3 finger power grip. anyone on here play at my home course?

I'm in Norman. I don't get up to Will often since I live about 2 minutes from Griffin and Lions, but I have a hundred rounds up there probably and 3x that at dolese. Hit me up if you ever want to get a round in.

LuckyEagle405 said:
hey guys. new to the board. i live in oklahoma city, oklahoma. will rogers is my home course. my favorite disc is a star eagle. iv been playing about 3 months.iv gotten 1 ace. my drives are around 280ft. i throw rhbh. always looking to improve my game. and i am very grateful for any tips. in my bag; star valkyrie, star eagle, buzzz, kc aviar putter, and champion firebird. all around 168- 172g. and i use a 3 finger power grip. anyone on here play at my home course?

You have a nice disc selection - keep working with all of them.

Sup. I'm new to boards and I've been playing for about 4 months. Played once or twice 15 years ago but didn't get the bug. A buddy as work dragged me to a course and I got hooked...bad. I've been playing anywhere from 1 to 4 times a week since I started. Recently I've been hitting the practice field every day after work for an hour and I'm thinking about cancelling my gym membership because I'm always playing golf instead.

I'm in Charlotte, my home course is probably Reedy Creek but there are tons of great courses around here. I'm just now getting to where I can throw over 300 feet. My bag consists of Surge, Avenger, Avenger SS, Buzzz, Glo Stalker, Dart, and my putter are a Gateway Voodoo and a new Magic (which I'm loving). I've got a new DX Roc and a White 169 Avenger is ESP plastic on the way and I plan to do my first dye job turning the Avenger into a Captain America shield.

Hi. I'm Holly Finley. New to this site.

I LOVE disc golf.

Holly Finley
Celebrity Ambassador
Innova Disc Golf

Welcome again i replied already in the video thread but didn't want to clutter it with non promotional stuff. Like i see that you have a good arm and your form varies and week 5 video had the best form and there are standard pieces of advice here that are derived from watching for commonalities in the forms of the best players in the world. Also backed up by physics. That have allowed many people to add distance, accuracy and consistency to their drives. I've done a lot of video critiques here and instructed in real life too. Would you like an outside perspective on your form and what you could try to improve your game? The better you throw the better it will look to people that don't know and yet love the sport.

It is not just the flight of the disc that can be beautiful in disc golf. A cat like grace in throwing technique of being smooth and effortless yet delivering tremendous power is something that will impress many that don't know anything about sports. Athletes might be even more impressed.

Looking from the point of view of a Finn in a snow storm with plenty of snow on the ground i'd say you are perfectly located to train your form :) I know that Finnish athletes have trained in South Africa after one of their best athletes married a Finnish top athlete and he used his local connections. I don't know common it is for foreign national team athletes to train in SA but there are facilities for track & field good enough for Olympic athletes. Perhaps contacting the administrators in different facilities could get you ideas and contacts to local athletes and organizations that might be interested in getting disc golf clinics from you. They know the culture, customs, people and how to work the system so they might be able to open doors for you and do the marketing of attracting people to get to the clinic.

Demonstrations might be a good idea to introduce the sport. You could get many more eyeballs on the sport in a soccer match or any other sport where the audiences are large. If you can throw a demo in the half time and have an announcement that you'll give instruction for groups sized as large as you can handle after the match and at place x at time y you would reach thousands of sports lovers at a time. Perhaps you could entertain the crowd trying to out throw a goalie kicking the ball. It would be cool if you can throw 330'ish to throw from one end of the soccer field to the other. If there were posters in the entrances to the sports arenas it could be announced that those posters instruct how to get in contact with you so that people can book a clinic.

Playing might be more fun than clinics so maybe you should try to offer that option too. As a fun activity many kinds of organizations from kinder gartens to homes for the elderly could probably use a new kind of activity. It is too easy to blow off an email so walking into the office of PE teachers, decision makers of many organizations sports complexes etc. might work better. I don't know much of South Africa and the cultures in there but they are fun loving people and if you approach them in a manner that paints disc golf as something fun rather than a chore like a "real sport" where you pant, hurt and sweat it might be more enticing.

As you see i should put a stop in here somewhere being a one man brain trust :) It's just we've thought of many things and implemented a few here in Finland where we have the second most players in the world so we have many actives that also think of where to go next. So far we've gotten more ideas than those that can put everything into action. Most like to play rather than volunteer because disc golf is so rad!

I've only been playing for 11 months, so I'm still learning. Everyday is a learning day. Always open for advice.

As far as progressing the sport in Africa, I have already contacted local organizations such as Scouts, Community Centers, YMCA, etc. They are not interested. I have made some progress with a few schools, so that will be lined up for January. All schools here are gated with security guards, so just walking in isn't as easy as one might think.

I have been playing on Saturday's and inviting the locals to join. Have had a few come with and it was fun times indeed. Thanks for the message!

Gates at schools rolled eyes. People go out to parks i hope? Many parks around the world have disc golf courses in them. Object golf and portable basket golf might attract attention too. This is not the perfect thread for throwing technique advice so i'll private message you later. I don't know in which ways you have approach the organizations other than emails but people get flooded with emails even legitimate ones but also a lot of junk mail. That won't work as effectively as face to face meeting. There are probably lots of sports organizations and possibly a ministry of sports that might be able to help in creating contacts and opening the doors to get face to face time with the powers that be. What did the ultimate and disc sports people say? Do they have contacts to other groups that might be interested in disc golf lessons?

Patience is the key but since you have a limited time in there the more doors you knock and the more people help to get people to listen and arrange meetings and clinics, playing etc. the better. It takes just one right person to get the snow ball to roll and to turn into a chain reaction. I find it odd that people are not interested in free past time help.

Hang tough and don't be discouraged it takes just one break and if it does not happen you will still have sowed the seeds to mature into something fruitful until the spark ignites the flame.

Latest posts