• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the sport and purchased a Innova Pack and want advice

The leopard by in large flies straight with a hook at the end. If I'm throwing well and like I like. It does a cool kinda drift to the right and then bends back left at the very end. I think that's the position I'm throwing at.. and not the flight characteristics of the disk. Is that accurate or is that what the disc is supposed to do? But if you asked me if the leopard flies straight. I would say for sure, but then at the end it goes left. Sorry I don't know to much. So I'm kinda guessing to make sure I describe my flight characteristics correctly.

All disc info I'm just absorbing...

Yes, that's what the disc is supposed to do, and what the flight characteristics suggest. The drift to the right is because that 3rd number is -2, which is a good amount of "drift to the right" aka turn in DG terms. And the going left st the end is the "fade" which is the last number (1 I believe)

The beast might be a little too much for you l, but maybe not. It is 1 speed faster than a Valkyrie, but if you have a less stable plastic like DX or pro, you may still be able to work with it

Ok. Anyone that has any other suggestions for me and a disc selection please still comment. But now I have a question for my citizens. If I was to suggest three discs to purchase for a person that has never played. What would you tell that person to buy. Or would you suggest they buy one disc and get use to it first. Then buy this and this...

I'm going to be a advocate for the sport. So I need to give decent advice. Lol

Ok. Anyone that has any other suggestions for me and a disc selection please still comment. But now I have a question for my citizens. If I was to suggest three discs to purchase for a person that has never played. What would you tell that person to buy. Or would you suggest they buy one disc and get use to it first. Then buy this and this...

I'm going to be a advocate for the sport. So I need to give decent advice. Lol

Hi! Welcome to the sport and the forums. Good luck with your course-building project!

If I could recommend one disc that has helped me more than any other, it would be the Comet. Great for working on form and great for throwing. It's my favorite mid-range and is always in my bag. Great for one disc rounds because it works pretty well as a putter, in addition to being able to work a lot of different lines.

Thanks. So with the course dreams. I've taken my dad, bro, gf, her dad to play all the courses around and they each bought disc afterwards. My gf and dad messed up and got a Valkyrie, Beast, and birdie disc. So they couldn't use them

So today being my birthday and all.. I didn't have to do much convincing and I now have the Valkyrie, Beast, and birdie to add to my birthday gifts of a Disk bag and a couple other disc

My bag now consist of a Innova disc:
avair 150g and 175g
Birdie 175g
Wedge 150g
Shark 150g 175g
Leopard 150g
Beast 170g
Valkyrie 175g

Please tell me what y'all think. To let you know. I'm going to try my best to limit myself to the avairs, wedge, shark, and leaopard. My plan is to Just play with the big drivers when I'm throwing around for fun. (Valkyrie and beast) otherwise use the four disc listed and learn them really well... is that a good plan or for technique should I scale down even more for a while..?

So this amateur got his first hole in one today at Coker Colleges course on the first hole, send round with his leopard 230 ish feet. 5th 9 hole round ever. 3rd course. Played my first round last Tuesday. But the next 8 holes taught me I have a lot to still learn

Valkyrie
Teebird
Leopard
Shark
Stingray
Aviar

Buy these. I'm new to the game but finally are getting a hand of grip, release angle and disc behavior.
I'm trying to replace my Aviar with a nova. I prefer the nova for short mid range/approach (straight, good glide, little skip/roll) but the Aviar is more consistent, great disc.

What I bag now is based on 5 discs. Putter, one under- and one over-stable mid range & one under- and one over-stable fairway driver.

You have all that and my disc #6, understable speed 10+ driver in that list. #7 would be a more in between mid range, I use Vroc (a little understable) or buzz (a little overstable) there (based on my throw speed as a newbie).

I got lighter discs for the faster ones. 165+ FDs, 170+ mid range, putter above 175g (my nova is 165g)...

A bag like that and all you need is decent form and the ability to throw slight hyzer (for the understable) and slight anhyzer (for the overstable) to generate a straight throw. Remember that if you overpower a disc, it will behave less stable (more hyzer angle needed than before).

Hope my 5 wasn't too stupid. :D

My bag now consist of a Innova disc:
avair 150g and 175g
Birdie 175g
Wedge 150g
Shark 150g 175g
Leopard 150g
Beast 170g
Valkyrie 175g

Please tell me what y'all think. To let you know. I'm going to try my best to limit myself to the avairs, wedge, shark, and leaopard. My plan is to Just play with the big drivers when I'm throwing around for fun. (Valkyrie and beast) otherwise use the four disc listed and learn them really well... is that a good plan or for technique should I scale down even more for a while..?

So this amateur got his first hole in one today at Coker Colleges course on the first hole, send round with his leopard 230 ish feet. 5th 9 hole round ever. 3rd course. Played my first round last Tuesday. But the next 8 holes taught me I have a lot to still learn

Sounds like you have a cool bag there. Remember to try to rip that wedge hard with hard hyzer angle. :)

So the leopard works for you, congratulations to fast progress! I think you should experiment with hyzerflipping it for slightly shorter tunnel drives. But also start trying those distance drivers. ;)

congrats on your 1st ace! that's a great feeling!

my 2 cents for a beginner friendly bag?

the innova starter pack i think works great

aviar pa
shark
Leopard

but a more stable complement to the leopard(more fade left at end of flight RHBH) would be a Teebird in DX 150sgram weight range?
also a BuZZZ is a great midrange, great for 1 disc round to learn to manipulate the flight of the disc

good luck with your course creation, and welcome to the great sport of DG

let's see...
✔ Begin Playing Disc Golf
✔ Build a new course
✔ Invite others to play
✔ Hit Ace
- Go Pro, Win Worlds

Looks like you've had quite an amazing month of March! That bag set up is perfect. No need to scale down. Over time you'll find that on that 230' hole that you threw the leopard, in time the shark will make that distance. At this point, enjoy life on the course, use the heck out of those handful of discs and get to know them. Notice any differences in the 175g Shark vs the 150g Shark? This probably will translate to all the other discs of heavier weight. Heavier weight takes some more power to throw as fast, and then it also will handle any wind a little better from being blown off course.

When the course isn't busy, throw 2 or 3 drives off the tee, use the Shark and then try the Wedge. The shark probably goes straight and ends left pretty well, while the wedge might slide right most of the flight. Pretty soon doing this, you can see that there are usually many different paths to the basket, and not always straight on. Then you can choose the path that works best for you.

Keep having fun!

The one thing I think messes people up, is that they have discs that work well, but switch to something else and mess with what worked well. Stick with the small setup and keep throwing. Even when you think you know a disc, it'll change subtlety due to use and wear, learning how a disc changes from use is just as important as learning how it flies fresh out of the store. Keep up the hard work, congrats on the course design, and booley for you for getting your family involved.

I started playing at 14 years old with 3 of these starter sets and wow how far have I come.

These are all great discs for beginners, especially in the easier to throw low weights. I ended up buying another DX Leopard, and more recently gone back to it sort of with getting a Champion Leopard3.

I also used the Shark as my main mid range for over 2 years until I started getting out of the "I need more drivers" mindset and got some Roc3s, they are probably too stable for a beginner to get to fly how beginners want a disc to fly - straight, but I use Champion and Star Roc3s which do not beat in nearly as quick as the base line DX plastic.

I have never switched putters from the Aviar. I still have all 3 150g DX ones from the starter sets, then got a 175g R-Pro Aviar, then 2 175g McPros Aviar, a 171g Star Aviar that I have since sold, then got some new 175g McPro Aviars just recently and will probably get a pair of 175g DX Aviars this fall in preparation for winter because the McPro plastic is too hard for winter golf unless you want to risk the putter cracking.

About the weights, heavier discs are both more stable and less affected by wind, which is why all my drivers in my bag are between 171g and max weight 175g, all my putters are max weight 175g, and all my mid ranges are between 177g and 180g. Mid ranges have a higher max weight than drivers and putters because they have a slightly larger diameter and the PDGA rules regarding max weight is a ratio involving the diameter of the disc.