• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the whole disc golf world

Just got my shipment of discs in from Hyzer Farm. Can't wait to throw them. But unfortunately I will have to wait until Xmas. I also ordered some for my son. If I take my new ones out my son will want some new ones to throw right now also.

Just got my shipment of discs in from Hyzer Farm. Can't wait to throw them. But unfortunately I will have to wait until Xmas. I also ordered some for my son. If I take my new ones out my son will want some new ones to throw right now also.

Yep, sounds like you're an addict like the rest of us, lol.

You know how you have to pay to practice ball golf at a driving range? Well, you can practice disc golf at any open field - like an empty soccer field behind a grade school. There's probably a place within walking distance from your house! If you're using putters and midranges, you can have some fun games of long-toss catch with your son to work on keeping your throws flat and getting them straighter.

Just another idea to toss in the mix. Keep having fun!

Welcome to the sport! One bit of advice I wish I had received early on is to focus on learning how to follow through properly on your shots. Not only is it key to learning how to throw, it will help prevent a lot of strain on your body. Aside from that, just follow the advice of these other fine fellows and have as much fun as possible!

Oooohhh.....you're a better man than me! Not sure if I could wait that long! :D

Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll make for a very Merry Christmas, Colonel. Hope you and yours have a great one!

Oooohhh.....you're a better man than me! Not sure if I could wait that long! :D

Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll make for a very Merry Christmas, Colonel. Hope you and yours have a great one!

Thanks Nemmers.

Funny thing today. I had to go to Walmart to pick up some helmets for our company bike drive and my son darts for an aisle near the bikes. I turn the corner and he is with the discs and is holding a purple Stingray. I had to tell him to wait for Xmas. A littl smile came across his face.

My kids love it when I come home with DX discs I've found on the course (with no info on them). They're usually in the backyard within minutes tossing them at my basket!

New discs are top 3 in my favorite things about DG.

So as a beginner who has no idea what he is doing, what are some tips? It is frustrating for me since I cannot throw the disc far. I have a college baseball background as a pitcher. I can also hit a golf ball pretty far, but these discs are very humbling. Right now everything for me is going right and downwards at a 45 degree angle.

So any tips on throwing and discs for me and my son are much appreciated.

Are you a lefty? Yes he is after reading through the pages.

Last edited:
I love Hyzer Farm! Great choice.

Colonel21: If you haven't already, head over to the Discraft site and check out some of their instructional videos (especially the beginner stuff)... That goofy multi-colored hair guy doing most of those videos is Scott Papa; the Papas own Hyzer Farm. I figure he's taught me a lot for nothing (via free video), I may as well spend my money on his inventory if he has what I want. Plus, I always get a nice hand-written note from Jeanne on my invoice that leads me to believe it's a real ma and pa shop and not some big-box store.

Sorry about the ramble... got excited there..

Again, good to have you around, and look forward to hearing how you and your boy progress together.

I love Hyzer Farm! Great choice.

Colonel21: If you haven't already, head over to the Discraft site and check out some of their instructional videos (especially the beginner stuff)... That goofy multi-colored hair guy doing most of those videos is Scott Papa; the Papas own Hyzer Farm. I figure he's taught me a lot for nothing (via free video), I may as well spend my money on his inventory if he has what I want. Plus, I always get a nice hand-written note from Jeanne on my invoice that leads me to believe it's a real ma and pa shop and not some big-box store.

Sorry about the ramble... got excited there..

Again, good to have you around, and look forward to hearing how you and your boy progress together.

The handwritten note was a nice little personal touch. After I ordered from Hyzer Farm I learned it was the Papa's company. I will definitely do more business with them. I think Scott Papa is a cool dude and enjoy his videos.

Welcome, and its great to hear you have an instant golfing partner. My main advice is as many have said, HAVE FUN. Of course things like recreational sports are much more fun when your technique improves and your scores lower. But for now forget the scores.

Think light, especially for your son. And a Leopard is a great disc to start with. It was the first disc that I used that actually went a decent distance and it was forgiving of my technique flaws. Also you can make a Leopard do most basic lines of flight. The Leopard that got me going was a 150g in Champion plastic. And if your son really digs the sport, an Innova beginner pack makes a great Christmas gift. DX plastic but it includes a Leopard, Shark, and Aviar.

I started 6 short years ago and the number of discs and manufacturers was daunting at the start. Now with a proliferation of new disc companies and many of the long established companies like Innova and Discraft turning out several new discs a year the choices are absolutely staggering. This site should help.

Personally I'd stay away from ebay when considering new discs. There are a lot of rip off artists out there. Stick with places like Disc Golf Center, Marshall Street, Gotta Go Gotta Throw, etc. And there is the Marketplace on this site with tons of great deals.

Welcome to the madness.

Well finally getting back to this board. Been a crappy couple of weeks since first posting on here. On Dec 17th I went to the ER with a pain in my side and back. Turns out I have diverticulitis. So I was pretty much on the bench for the next week or so. Then I started feeling better and started getting back to normalcy when I got sick, with what I thought was the flu. Turned out to be that the antiobiotics I was taking for the diverticulites gave me C.Diff. So I have been battling this C.Diff for the past couple of weeks.

So 20 pounds lighter, I finally got a 9 hole round in with my son last Friday. It was the first time I got to throw all the new discs I got around Xmas time. I tell you what, throwing actual real quality discs made a huge difference than that crap beginner set we originally got from Walmart. It made it so much more fun. It turns out that I am actually not as bad as I thought, those crap discs just made it seem that way. Armed with my Leopard, Buzz, Roc, and Soft Magnet we headed out. It shocked me how far I actually could throw the Leopard and Buzz. And putting with the Soft Magnet was so much nicer. Parred a couple of the holes right at the start. It was a blast. But for whatever reason I could not throw the Roc worth a darn. It was almost like a dead duck. As soon as it left my hand it would head straight from the ground. Then I would throw the Buzz and threw it pretty well. Not sure if I have a bent disc or what but it was just weird. But it felt good to get out and get in some exercise and be outside after being sick for like a month.

Well finally getting back to this board. Been a crappy couple of weeks since first posting on here. On Dec 17th I went to the ER with a pain in my side and back. Turns out I have diverticulitis. So I was pretty much on the bench for the next week or so. Then I started feeling better and started getting back to normalcy when I got sick, with what I thought was the flu. Turned out to be that the antiobiotics I was taking for the diverticulites gave me C.Diff. So I have been battling this C.Diff for the past couple of weeks.

So 20 pounds lighter, I finally got a 9 hole round in with my son last Friday. It was the first time I got to throw all the new discs I got around Xmas time. I tell you what, throwing actual real quality discs made a huge difference than that crap beginner set we originally got from Walmart. It made it so much more fun. It turns out that I am actually not as bad as I thought, those crap discs just made it seem that way. Armed with my Leopard, Buzz, Roc, and Soft Magnet we headed out. It shocked me how far I actually could throw the Leopard and Buzz. And putting with the Soft Magnet was so much nicer. Parred a couple of the holes right at the start. It was a blast. But for whatever reason I could not throw the Roc worth a darn. It was almost like a dead duck. As soon as it left my hand it would head straight from the ground. Then I would throw the Buzz and threw it pretty well. Not sure if I have a bent disc or what but it was just weird. But it felt good to get out and get in some exercise and be outside after being sick for like a month.
Welcome to the addiction of Disc Golf!

Welcome back to DG.. I too was out with the flu for about a week and a half early this month.. I so wanted to go throw then but just had to be responsible :doh: and waited till I got better :D Glad to hear you are back out there.

Wow.....doesn't sound like a good couple of weeks. Glad to see you're doing better.

I had a rough start with Rocs at first, too. Got a new DX Roc and for some reason it didn't do what I wanted -- probably because that was before I'd gotten comfortable with my backhand. Just don't give up on them. They're the soldiers of disc golf, having been around for 25+ years. If you find yourself at a Play It Again Sports, see if you can find a beat DX or KC Pro Roc and throw them a couple times. I'll bet you'll like the Roc then. :D

Great to see you back on the course, Colonel! Hope the young'un is still throwing too!

Latest posts