• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie bag...curious what you think.

Dutch_Bear

Hi, i started playing about 1,5 years ago and took a winter break of about 4 months. Finland's a cold and snowy country ;) my next break is coming up right about now...

For now my bag looks like this. Feel free to comment or make suggestions!

175 Star Monster - Mainly use it into fierce headwinds. Got the feeling the disc dominates me when I throw it RHBH under normal circumstances.
175 DX Archangel - New, no clue yet really.
169 Champ Leopard - Go to driver, I get a consistent 240 out of this disc.
177 DX Roc - My first disc ever, beaten to death but I always find a use for it.
176 DX Shark - Whenever somebody wants to join I let 'm play with this disc.
175 DX Aviar P&A (X2)
175 DX Classic Aviar

If your leopard is going 240', you should really stick to that and mids/putters until you get some more length, faster discs are going to keep you from learning cleaner form. I would throw those aviars a lot in a field until you figure out how to throw them 200-225' without too much wobble, it'll really help you understand how to throw clean and smooth. Rocs are great mids, especially a nice beat one, something understable in that speed range like a meteor or stingray might be a good complement.

If your roc is really that beaten, you might want to consider picking up a new one, and just using the beat one as the understable compliment.

aside from that, you have good molds and few enough so as not to be confusing. All I can do is agree with mashnut and say just go throw your putters and mids more to work out some extra distance.

also, for right now, don't throw the monster, ever. its just going to breed bad form for you at this stage.

Yeah I'll go ahead and confirm for you that the Monster isn't a great disc.

I'd really base the bag around the Leopard and beat Roc. I'm not sure if you just play recreationally or want to get serious, so depending on where you want to go with DG will determine what we'll suggest for you.

If it were my bag though, I'd do this:

Drivers:
Leopard

Mids:
(keep) Beat Roc
(add) new Roc
(add/try) Lat64 Opto Fuse

Putter:
Aviar

Put all those other discs on the backburner, you can always bring them out later anyway.

When you can get your Roc to 240'+ and your Leopard to 300'+ then a whole new world of possibilities opens up for you - you'll have enough skill to tackle those pro-level discs.

Thanks for the advice!

I love my leopard for it's clean straight flight, I actually thought I might be able to get a bit more throwing the Archangel but i'll put that aside for now. That Monster has been such a burden in my bag, whenever I look at it i get pissed off for ever buying it. That one's definitely going out for a long while.

Yes, my Roc is completely beaten in. My 'home course' is about 98% bedrock and has a high tree density on a lot of holes.

I've always been a bit wary of getting new brands/molds... It's a bit like an old Dutch saying: 'wat de boer niet kent, dat eet hij niet' or literally translated: ' what the farmer doesn't know, he doesn't eat'...

As for now I want to get past the recreational level, I love going out to the course with my friends but I want to start playing tourney's as well.

I'll definitely grab myself another Roc and I'll get out on the sportsfield across the road to just practice driving those putters and getting the most out of the Roc's.

*edit* btw, I throw my Leopard 75 meters, that's about 240 foot right?

i wouldn't put that archangel away. youll like that disc. its basically a longer leopard

id also get rid of that monster...for now.

consider adding a banshee for those shots you wanna throw the monster for.

id also get rid of that monster...for now.

consider adding a banshee for those shots you wanna throw the monster for.

Under normal conditions I only throw the Monster when I'm on a hole where I need to make a 'sharp' right turn after about 100 foot. I throw it FH for these shots btw.

I'm not completely sure on all the right slang/terms, so i've just put it in words that i understand ;)

Thanks for the advice!

I love my leopard for it's clean straight flight, I actually thought I might be able to get a bit more throwing the Archangel but i'll put that aside for now. That Monster has been such a burden in my bag, whenever I look at it i get pissed off for ever buying it. That one's definitely going out for a long while.

Yes, my Roc is completely beaten in. My 'home course' is about 98% bedrock and has a high tree density on a lot of holes.

I've always been a bit wary of getting new brands/molds... It's a bit like an old Dutch saying: 'wat de boer niet kent, dat eet hij niet' or literally translated: ' what the farmer doesn't know, he doesn't eat'...

As for now I want to get past the recreational level, I love going out to the course with my friends but I want to start playing tourney's as well.

I'll definitely grab myself another Roc and I'll get out on the sportsfield across the road to just practice driving those putters and getting the most out of the Roc's.

*edit* btw, I throw my Leopard 75 meters, that's about 240 foot right?

Good to know this info - I'll stick with my Fuse recommendation. It's easy to throw for you since you don't have a power-arm yet, but also will reveal and flaws in your form. When you can throw a Fuse hard and clean (no "wiggles" or "vibrating" in the air) you know you've reached another level.

That and the plastic feels so nice in hand. That Opto plastic is amazing.

The Leopard is the same principle - once you master it, you'll have a much easier time throwing other discs. I disagree with keeping the Archangel, but that's just from my personal experience. The disc gets squirrely and inconsistent after a couple tree hits, maybe yours will be better though.

Okay this is what i'm going to do. I'll put away the Monster for a long while and I'm going to pick up another 2 Rocs and an Opto Fuse.

Is there any reason for me to consider picking up those 2 new rocs in other plastic than DX?

I'll keep the Archangel in my bag, but focus won't be on this disc.

Okay this is what i'm going to do. I'll put away the Monster for a long while and I'm going to pick up another 2 Rocs and an Opto Fuse.

Is there any reason for me to consider picking up those 2 new rocs in other plastic than DX?

No reason I can think of. DX Rocs break in nicely. Keep a new and used one in your bag at all times, imo.

HA! Didn't even realize the pun until you posted. :hfive:

:thmbup: Good plan. I just bought a 2nd Opto Fuse yesterday...didn't mean to but it ended up happening, lol.

As for the Rocs I'd suggest regular ol' plain production run DX. Be forewarned that Roc collecting is a cult within DG circles, so don't get sucked in!

Maybe. Old DX will shatter if you nail a tree in really cold temperatures, and you're from Finland so...

You could pick up a DX Rancho Roc and splurge a little bit by getting a KC Pro Roc just to be on the safe side on those cold rounds.

If you've been throwing a beat roc, a new roc will probally be stable enough. Most use the kc for overstable when new.
Get a teebird. Leopard is fine but you need something that's controllable but can handle some.

Stick with the Leopard until you get it out to 300 feet, then add a Teebird and work that out to 350 feet or so. Don't get anything faster at this point. Love the Aviars though!

Stick with the Leopard until you get it out to 300 feet, then add a Teebird and work that out to 350 feet or so. Don't get anything faster at this point. Love the Aviars though!

Agreed.

Don't listen to any advice that tells you to throw a disc with 0 turn until you can get discs out past 300' - this will save you lots of frustration

Agreed.

Don't listen to any advice that tells you to throw a disc with 0 turn until you can get discs out past 300' - this will save you lots of frustration

I'm gonna stick to this advice, together with the Rocs!

Unfortunately we've received about 11 inches of snow so I'll have to wait until the snow-ploughs have gone through..

Okay, so we're going to go out to Meilahti in Helsinki tomorrow with three guys in total. As it's going to be -6 celsius and by now there's about 1,5 foot of snow, do you guys have any tips for me to take into consideration playing under these circumstances?

I'll be taking out 2 dx rocs (one new, one beaten in), my champ leopard and an Aviar P&A.

I guess we need to work with spotters if we don't want to lose any discs.

Spotters are good, or tape a long ribbon to the center of the disc so it will hopefully stick out of the snow. Avoid throwing white discs.

Latest posts