• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Next step up from a Leopard?

I would recommend a Eagle as my dad still had one back when he played more as his disc of choice even when he got better and used a TeeRex as his max distance disc. He would use his Champion Eagle in situations that I would use my Valkyries for.

Do these physics apply to noodle arm, 50 somethings like me. I get that it works as such for players throwing 50-60+ mph at release. How about us folks that release at 45-50 mph? Does anything change in the equation?

TIA

When I got to measure a year or so ago going from 170ish to 150ish took me from like 60-61MPH to 62-63MPH. I think we measured someone newer with velocity in the 40's who also threw the lighter stuff a little faster...but...big but...when form isn't as good it's also less consistent from throw to throw. So I don't trust or remember exact values that guy was at.

However I do not bag or have ever bagged super light discs. Most of the ones I have thrown were inconsistent. I know they fly/glide differently for people, but I don't have any input on if they fly further or what for me, I've just been really turned off by a lot of flippy turds in the light range discs so I haven't bought them. I have also thrown surprisingly stable 150's star Destroyers, but didn't get a chance to air them out and compare to normal weights for distance. I really think that the weight affects the stability/glide factor of the disc more than just someone "getting it up to speed easier". While it's not untrue it can be thrown a little faster with the same form, I think the discs inherently fly a bit different. No matter how hard you throw, you should notice the stability difference though.

I don't know this for sure, but from the feel of some Pro discs I have, I always thought that Star plastic was Pro with some extra additives for durability.

A "Champion Star", if it felt like Gold Line/Fuzion but more durable like Champion, would be awesome to me.

Lol c'mon guys champion star blends have been around since star was released 12 years ago! I've found red star to be the most "champy-star of the Star plastic colors.

I have a Neutron Amp that was my step up from Star Leopard. It might be first run, but an Amp might be worth a try. A bit faster...that and a first run Neutron Volt were the discs that I could get the furthest controlled distance from in my first couple of years.

I'm a big fan of the Mamba. Its designed to be flippy at its rating (speed 11) but at slower speeds I find it a very versatile disc, A very good straight flyer when powered down. I find it similar to a Leopard (I bag both) but get a bit more distance with it.

Champion Ape.

Hey, it's just as ridiculous as some of the suggestions being given here for a 260ft Leopard thrower.

On my one last serious note. Lat64 Jade. Old tired armed guys best friend. These are really fun to throw too.

Well, find the Prodiscus Ultrium FastI and be amazed. That disc doesn't need fresh arm. Fast and long.

Well, find the Prodiscus Ultrium FastI and be amazed. That disc doesn't need fresh arm. Fast and long.

I have looked at those but never bought because the rim looks like the kind I would never be able to keep in the air like an Unlace.

There was a run of EchoStar Mamba's a few years back that you could put a good rip on to get a fresh Leopard-like flight but with better distance.

I have looked at those but never bought because the rim looks like the kind I would never be able to keep in the air like an Unlace.

These babies are totally different than other Prodiscus discs. These are easy to throw and hang time is very good for modern golf disc. And Ultrium is the best plastic right now:p

Last question...best disc of these three if going with 165g-168g weight:

DX Leopard
D-Line Heat
Prime Witness

Thanks.

TripleB

DX Leopard
D-Line Heat
Prime Witness

Thanks.

TripleB

None of them in base plastic, they won't last long

A Heat in X line is a pretty sweet disc in the weight you're looking at though.

None of them in base plastic, they won't last long

A Heat in X line is a pretty sweet disc in the weight you're looking at though.

Thanks...I appreciate the input!

I have a Stratus and a Comet in X so the feel of several of my disc would be consistent if I got the X Heat.

TripleB

Leopards can get out there. I could consistently get mine out to 300+ topping out at 350 on great pulls. The disc that replaced leopards for me is the Saint. They are very controllable and wear in very similarly to the Champion Leopards I have thrown in the past. The only difference is that they consistently fly 20-50 ft further on the same lines. The Saint was actually my main distance driver (putting a few out to 400) until I found the mayhem.

DX Leopard
D-Line Heat
Prime Witness

Thanks.

TripleB

I wouldn't recommend the base line plastics for these discs. They will beat up way to fast unless you play in open fields. I would also recommend the Pro Leopards or x Heat. I have never thrown a witness so I can't help much there.

Leopards can get out there. I could consistently get mine out to 300+ topping out at 350 on great pulls. The disc that replaced leopards for me is the Saint. They are very controllable and wear in very similarly to the Champion Leopards I have thrown in the past. The only difference is that they consistently fly 20-50 ft further on the same lines. The Saint was actually my main distance driver (putting a few out to 400) until I found the mayhem.

If you throw Leo's 325-350 and Saints 340-375' I completely agree with you. When someone throws DX Leo's <275' then a Saint is more like a Thunderbird. The Saint is easy distance once it has been worn in for a month or two, and you have the velocity to overpower speed 9 discs.