• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nick's updated bag!

nickc

Birdie Member
Okay, so some of you might remember I posted in the middle of summer with some discs... mostly understable to stable discs. I have since removed a good amount of overlap (I think), but I'm still working some discs into the bag, and there are a few I would consider removing. I throw Left hand, backhand about 90% of the time. I very rarely throw forehand.

Anyway, here we go:

174g Z Avenger SS - My "go-to" driver for any straight drive with a small amount of fade at the end. It's an easy disc for me to get out there, but it is a little faster than I should be throwing. It's a useful disc for holding lines.

171g Pro Destroyer - Probably my favorite disc, I love using this disc for placing shots on top of a hill, also great for the wind, obviously. It is the second furthest flying disc in my bag. It isn't super overstable, but it is definitely the most overstable driver in my bag. I can throw this disc 275 feet fairly consistently.

168g DX Archangel - Super beat in, super understable. I need to work on my technique with this disc. It should be extremely easy for me to throw far, and it is, however it is unpredictable. It seems to turn over extremely easily, and has almost no LSS. This is my furthest flying disc, at about 280 feet.

174 DX Viking - Very fair, straight flying disc. I haven't messed with this disc a lot, but I like it and it's very predictable. I would use this disc in situations where it might be too windy for the Avenger or Archangel, but I don't need a meat-hook fade like my Destroyer.

17-g X XS - Probably my favorite disc for control shots. It holds any line I put it on. I can throw this disc very flat and straight for about 270 feet very easily. This is the only disc I like to forehand, as it is very easy for me to control.

170g Z Buzzz - My favorite disc in the bag, probably. Very nice midrange driver, it's actually more overstable than most Buzzz's but it holds a line perfectly. 250 foot shots are butter with this disc.

178g ESP Wasp - I don't really know if I like this disc. It should be better for driving than my Buzzz, but they're actually kind of the same disc. This Wasp seems pretty stable. It glides a little further than the Buzzz and has a touch more fade. I need to practice more with this disc.

175g Proton Vector - Haven't used this disc yet, but I'm thinking it will take over the spot for the Wasp. It has a fair amount of flash, so I believe it will be perfect as my overstable midrange.

175g R-Pro Aviar - My "go-to" putter for about anything. Great disc for drives and putts. Flies very straight and very predictably. I like the small amount of fade it has. Great for pinpoint shots and I can feel comfortable using it for just about anything.

176g DX Aero - I don't like this disc. It's terrible for driving, I think. It's probably like a Comet; a finesse disc, but I have no use for this disc at all. It turns over way to easily.

176g Grip Line Graboide - Super overstable putter, I never have to worry about it turning over. When I mess with it more, it will probably end up being a nice upshot disc, but it's extremely hard to get out past 150 feet. I don't give it quite enough spin, even when I crank it as hard as I can possibly throw. Great for putting, though. Within a 50 feet line, it stays pretty straight.

So I know, I still have a little bit of overlap, between the XS, Z Avenger SS and Archangel, however the Archangel hasn't made a permanent spot in my bag and the XS is much more predictable at slower speeds than the A-SS.

By the way these are the discs I have gotten rid of:
Star TL, Champion 11x KC Pro Cheetah and DX Wraith.

As a fairly new player myself, I would advise you to not worry so much about your bag eright now and focus on form! Early on I discounted some discs because I couldn't throw them or didn't like them, but the problem was me. Best thing I did was work exclusively with midrange and putter and develop clean form. Once you are hitting 300 with the buzz, start throwing in the fairway drivers and at max for you the viking

I really would like to get a Champion Cheetah, as a 175g DX Cheetah was my absolute favorite. I'm trying to eliminate overlap and find roles for these discs. Ultimately, eliminating overlap will be better for my form.

Lately, I have been using midranges and putters over drivers, though!

Well I certainly agree that every disc needs a role in the bag, but it is difficult to make those calls until the form is up to a certain level (def not saying I am there yet:( the more streamlined you get with less overlap the better, but I guess my warning was to put more time into developing success with the foundational discs and keeping options open down the road for when your skill set improves

keep the avenger even though people will tell you to shelf it. drop the pro-destoyer for a dx tb(at those distances unless you throwing spike hyzers you rolling you wrist to get the destroyer to fly straight). drop the AA completely (too touchy and i like the flippy plastic). havent thrown the viking but im sure a beat dx tb can handle everything the vik can.
keep the xs if you like fhing it. as a lefty you will need to learn a solid fh. keep the buzzz and drop the wasp, again use the tb just power down. never thrown a vector so no suggestions. keep the aviar but maybe get a non r-pro. Finally maybe add a utility/true overstable disc like a firebird. so your new bag can be:

avenger ss
dx teebird
x xs
firebird (maybe replace xs as fh disc)
z buzzz
aviar

Okay, so some of you might remember I posted in the middle of summer with some discs... mostly understable to stable discs. I have since removed a good amount of overlap (I think), but I'm still working some discs into the bag, and there are a few I would consider removing. I throw Left hand, backhand about 90% of the time. I very rarely throw forehand.

Anyway, here we go:

174g Z Avenger SS - My "go-to" driver for any straight drive with a small amount of fade at the end. It's an easy disc for me to get out there, but it is a little faster than I should be throwing. It's a useful disc for holding lines.

171g Pro Destroyer - Probably my favorite disc, I love using this disc for placing shots on top of a hill, also great for the wind, obviously. It is the second furthest flying disc in my bag. It isn't super overstable, but it is definitely the most overstable driver in my bag. I can throw this disc 275 feet fairly consistently.

168g DX Archangel - Super beat in, super understable. I need to work on my technique with this disc. It should be extremely easy for me to throw far, and it is, however it is unpredictable. It seems to turn over extremely easily, and has almost no LSS. This is my furthest flying disc, at about 280 feet.

174 DX Viking - Very fair, straight flying disc. I haven't messed with this disc a lot, but I like it and it's very predictable. I would use this disc in situations where it might be too windy for the Avenger or Archangel, but I don't need a meat-hook fade like my Destroyer.

17-g X XS - Probably my favorite disc for control shots. It holds any line I put it on. I can throw this disc very flat and straight for about 270 feet very easily. This is the only disc I like to forehand, as it is very easy for me to control.

170g Z Buzzz - My favorite disc in the bag, probably. Very nice midrange driver, it's actually more overstable than most Buzzz's but it holds a line perfectly. 250 foot shots are butter with this disc.

178g ESP Wasp - I don't really know if I like this disc. It should be better for driving than my Buzzz, but they're actually kind of the same disc. This Wasp seems pretty stable. It glides a little further than the Buzzz and has a touch more fade. I need to practice more with this disc.

175g Proton Vector - Haven't used this disc yet, but I'm thinking it will take over the spot for the Wasp. It has a fair amount of flash, so I believe it will be perfect as my overstable midrange.

175g R-Pro Aviar - My "go-to" putter for about anything. Great disc for drives and putts. Flies very straight and very predictably. I like the small amount of fade it has. Great for pinpoint shots and I can feel comfortable using it for just about anything.

176g DX Aero - I don't like this disc. It's terrible for driving, I think. It's probably like a Comet; a finesse disc, but I have no use for this disc at all. It turns over way to easily.

176g Grip Line Graboide - Super overstable putter, I never have to worry about it turning over. When I mess with it more, it will probably end up being a nice upshot disc, but it's extremely hard to get out past 150 feet. I don't give it quite enough spin, even when I crank it as hard as I can possibly throw. Great for putting, though. Within a 50 feet line, it stays pretty straight.

So I know, I still have a little bit of overlap, between the XS, Z Avenger SS and Archangel, however the Archangel hasn't made a permanent spot in my bag and the XS is much more predictable at slower speeds than the A-SS.

By the way these are the discs I have gotten rid of:
Star TL, Champion 11x KC Pro Cheetah and DX Wraith.
Drop
Choose one or the other
Add another Aviar for driving
Add a light TB

I (and others) have given the same advice before. I will send you a TB free if you would like...

Last edited:
I really don't feel the need to drop the Pro Destroyer. It's not new, it's fairly beat in and it's not super heavy. Most people recommend 172+'s. It flies nothing like my brother's beat-in Champion Destroyer.

As far as the Wasp and the Aero, I would drop them, or trading them for an Aviar Driver, possibly? However, the Graboide makes up for an Aviar Driver. It would be nice to get a Pure, actually.

I don't see where it makes sense to replace the Destroyer for a Firebird. A Firebird is going to be far more overstable. Maybe not if I were to buy a DX one and beat it in, but after so long it would probably be somewhat like a Viking.

I would be interested in a TeeBird, I really would like to know what all the fuss is about. I had a Star TL, but I hated it.

If you PM me your address, I'll send you a DX TB and Firebird
I really would like to know what all the fuss is about. I had a Star TL, but I hated it.
I think I remember you having a 175 Star TL - I also owned a 175 TL (it actually weighed 177g when I weighed it) It was glideless and overstable compared to any champ or star TB I have thrown.

Last edited:
My TL had excellent glide and it flew incredibly straight, I just didn't like the feel. It was just too straight.

You might have kept the wrong discs. Most of your drivers are too fast for your D right now, especially the Destroyer. The fact that your Avenger SS fades predictably for you almost guarantees the fact that you aren't getting it up to speed. The only driver more befitting your speed level is the Archangel but they are so flippy that they are fairly undesirable for anyone but the weakest players. I'm surprised you got rid of the KC Pro Cheetah if you liked the Cheetah so much. You should definitely look into the Gazelle, Cyclone, Leopard, Polaris, JLS, and similar drivers. Even Teebirds are a little too much if you can't get 300'.

Your mids are good though. If the Wasp flies like a Buzzz, it's a bad Wasp IMO. The Vector should take its spot easily. I highly recommend an understable mid though, would be good for working on your form. Meteor, Squall, Fuse would be my top recommendations, Comet and Axis would be good if you just want something a little less stable than your Buzzz.

I agree with Cyclone2 on considering dropping the Graboide (great name though). A backup Aviar for driving would be the conventional, minimalist route.

I hope I didn't come off as harsh. Thanks for showing us your bag!

bro d's advice is pretty spot on. i would also recommend sticking to lighter weights for any future purchases/acquisitions - 166-169 for drivers and 170-173 for mids.

keep the destroyer if you want, but it's not helping you improve. maxing out under 300' means there are a bunch of things that need improvement. i would definitely recommend reading the grip tutorial on DGR as well.

My brother teaches me everything I know about DG, you know "Aim For The Chains?" I don't have a lot of power, but I haven't been able to go out very much lately. All my discs end up around the 250 feet mark, I'm not sure if that means anything. Anyway, my brother taught me to bring across the chest, and my grip is mostly with my middle, ring and pinky fingers and the disc lines up against one of the lines in my hand, and my thumb pinches in one spot on the flight plate. I could take a picture, but it's a bit late right now.

I'm mostly keeping the Destroyer for when it's windy, I don't use it nearly as much as my Avenger SS or XS. But as far as drivers go, I haven't used them much lately. I mostly use my Buzzz and Wasp for drives.

As for my Avenger SS, by predictable fade, I mean it's very subtle. It's an incredibly straight flying disc, with a touch of fade at the end.

Also, I got rid of the KC Pro Cheetah because it was extremely light, at 148g, super gummy and it was a terrible color.

Thanks for the advice, though, everyone!

Last edited:
is your index finger out on the rim like you are throwing an ultimate disc?

please read THIS it will probably give you instant distance.

Nope, it's tucked under the rim, like where my other fingers are, but I don't apply a lot of pressure with it. When I do, the nose has a tendency to tip up.

just read the grip tutorial and bookmark in your browser, come back and re-read it every few weeks to make sure you are doing things the right way. changes in grip have a more immediate effect on distance and are easier to incorporate into what you are already doing.

I got a nice Champion Aviar added to my bag. It's a little lighter than I would prefer, but it has a nice bead on it and it's very gummy.

I'm thinking about retiring the Archangel, and I'm trading the Graboide for a 165 2x Champion Leopard. I think it might be a good idea to try to make the Leopard my "go to" driver, and stop using the A-SS until I get a little more arm, especially since my range has decreased by about 50 feet, as I have probably gone throwing like twice this month.

I need to review form for sure, too! My best shot today was about 265ft with my DX Viking.

yous should try

i pretty much use the same bag i have really good luck with a star eagle n a hybrid evolution 171g 8 5 -1 3 its awsome

Here's an update:
So I've taken the Archangel, Destroyer and Avenger SS out of my bag. Here are my drivers, some of them I need to find the right place for, still. But I feel there's a little less overlap.

Distance:
174g DX Viking
17-g X XS

Fairway:
167g Champion Teebird (domey and has a huge lip)
162g DX Teebird (pretty flat, smaller lip)
165g Champion 2x BS Leopard

Midrange:
170g Z Buzzz
178g ESP Wasp
175g Proton Vector

With the Wasp and the Vector, I'm trying to pick either or, but I feel the Wasp handles headwinds better than the Vector does, and the Vector would be more of just a hyzer disc.

Putters:
169g Champion XG Aviar (big bead)
Similar weight, but a little lighter Champion XG Aviar (big bead)
175g R-Pro Aviar (beadless)

The two Champion Aviars are more of my driver putters. The 169g is a lot more stiff than the other Champion Aviar. My R-Pro Aviar is mostly for putts, it sticks in the chains really well. It is my go-to putter.

All right, so let me know if I'm headed in the right direction! I feel this bag is a pretty good one now.

Latest posts