• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko Calls Foot Fault on Gurthie ... "Don't you shake his hand, bro.."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone already mentioned this, but Dave's classy cigarette face when he's dishing his putt... Was the Disc Golf Hall of Fame Classic a tournament during which smoking was banned? I know it wasn't in 2012, but I couldn't find anything for 2013.

I would love to see Pwingles play a tournament round , from the way he talks he must be Jesus himself calling 4 foot faults a hole

Lol, i dont play with too many players who arent paying attention to their stance all on their own. Its been a long time since ive played an event where basic rules violations were something that needed to be closely watched.

I have only had to call 2 stance violations ever. They were both seconded. I prefer to mention the potential violation before it happens if i see it. I consider that to be the more sporting way of doing it although I wouldnt be upset if people chose to let others make their own mistakes.

The purpose of this is two things. Firstly, i find the offender takes it less personally if its pointed out (usually with a brief explanation) before. Secondly, if its pointed out, and others hear it and are aware of it, its almost certainly going to get seconded if the player faults anyway.

I find it hillarious that some of you think of people as hardasses because they choose to enforce the rules. Some of these rules can be subjective, most arent. Whats difficult about not seeing a gray area in the ones that arent subjective?

Talk about "thread creep"... this started out as a discussion about whether or not it was douchy of GG to "pull Ricky back" and whether or not Nikko was right to make the call... which he was of course.

After showing the video to my 16 year old son and do the handshake thing with him, I'm more convinced than ever that GG was doing nothing but some new "finger lock" shake. My son said all his buddies are doing it these days. It's supposed to be cool to see who is strong enough to pull the other guys fingers open.

I'll talk to Nikko when get gets back in the states as we generally chat once or twice a week on other things... but until then I hear otherwise, I think this was just a silly thread to begin with that degraded into a rules discussion. That shouldn't happened because the rules are black and white and in print. You may not like them, but there are very easy to interpret and administer and should be in any round of consequence.

Lol, i dont play with too many players who arent paying attention to their stance all on their own. Its been a long time since ive played an event where basic rules violations were something that needed to be closely watched.
You should come up to Rolla sometime. We are the stance violation capital of the World. I've gotten to the point where I just congratulate players when they DON'T foot fault instead of trying to call all of the infractions when they do.

Eh, part of it is positioning.
Since I'm usually not in a great position to see what happened, I won't call anything.
That to me is the inherent problem. I'm thinking like a player. I'm thinking about what disc I want to throw and what kind of shot I want to take on my next throw. I don't care what you do. That makes me a lousy official.

really good points.

If the grass/shule is even more than over the height of the other player's shoe, you almost need to be on top of them to really see where their foot is in relation to their marker.

I always make a point of watching people's feet if I know it is tricky footing for them.....but I rarely go out of my way to get a good view of their marker if it seems like a routine sort of lie.

And, I often get pretty wrapped up in my own game to a point where I do forget that I am an official out there.

Eh, part of it is positioning. It's amazing when you watch baseball on TV how many bang-bang plays the umpires get right. It all happens so fast. A lot of the time in live action I think a guy was safe and on the replay he was out by a ½ step and the Umpire was right. They have years of training, though. They are taught where to be and what to look for.

Me? I read a rulebook. Nobody has done anything to tell me where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be looking for when somebody else is throwing. If you are on my card, where I am in relation to you when you throw has more to do with where I need to be to get to my lie quickly after you throw than where I need to be to watch you throw. Most of the times when I did see something like a stance violation on a jump putt I was unsure of myself, thinking "did I really see him do that?" Since I'm usually not in a great position to see what happened, I won't call anything.

That to me is the inherent problem. I'm thinking like a player. I'm thinking about what disc I want to throw and what kind of shot I want to take on my next throw. I don't care what you do. That makes me a lousy official. There are a lot of people like me out there, and we end up not calling anything not because we don't know the rules or are afraid to rock the boat. We don't call anything because we are lousy officials and would rather make no call than the wrong call (which is flawed logic since no call can also be the wrong call, but you know what I mean.)

In order to fix that there would need to be a lot more emphasis placed on training us in how to be officials i.e. where we need to stand and what we need to be watching for. Making sure we know the rules was important and making all players become certified officials to play in top events was a step in the right direction, but it was only a step.

According to Pwingles it also makes you a cheater

Foot faults are simple rules in spirit: throw with one foot where your disc landed.

But the exact rule: Foot support overlaps with a line segment 30 cm back from the tip of the disc through the line of play.

is completely subjective to make a call on in a round of Disc Golf without a tape measure and laser pointer. To me, only the most obvious and advantage-grabbing violations of the exact rule should be called, otherwise tournaments will end up delayed and scrutinized further with little markers that have a 30cm tape on the end of them.

Why so salty? You seem to be content selectively playing by the rules only when it benefits you, why pick a fight you cant win? This isnt gonna benefit you at all.

@3P
Saw your post abou Noah, made me lol

I practice posted, 1 post penalty^^

How can you not see the difference between 3P not wanting to make a call because he's unsure, and you not making a call because the thrower missed anyway and might make the rethrow, thus giving you an advantage?

Good well thought-out post (as usual). But, I tend to disagree that self-officiating does not work.

Besides stance violations, what other rules are being broken by accomplished/experienced players that would be fixed if dedicated officials/referees were present?

I cannot think of any.....and there are tons of rules. That means that for the vast majority of the rule book, self-officiating works fine.

- Casual water on course, where to mark the lie?
- (an extension of above) Casual Relief (poison Oak, etc.)
- Rough/unmarked/uneven OB lines (for example a parking lot which is partially overgrown or cracked).
- 2M rule
- 3:00 time limit when searching for lost disc (everybody on cards always hesitates to "start the clock")
- Calling courtesy violations for intentionally distracting behavior without breaking concentration to call it.

These are just issues I encountered at a tournament this past weekend (not all involved my round specifically).

I am not a great official, I'll admit it. Just as Three Putt was relaying...I was raised the same way through Basketball, to ignore the officials and play well enough that it doesn't affect the outcome. At the same time, I shouldn't be forced to officiate another persons round. I'm a competitive person trying to develop my golf mentality which all great golf coaches say ignore the competition, play your game.

So how do I do that, while having to pay attention to every little thing other players do? The paradox is evident and prevents progress.

I'm not saying we should change everything overnight, but start with NT's, they're seriously in need of it.

- Casual water on course, where to mark the lie?
- (an extension of above) Casual Relief (poison Oak, etc.)
- Rough/unmarked/uneven OB lines (for example a parking lot which is partially overgrown or cracked).
- 2M rule
- 3:00 time limit when searching for lost disc (everybody on cards always hesitates to "start the clock")
- Calling courtesy violations for intentionally distracting behavior without breaking concentration to call it.

The first 3 are issues experienced players can EASILY handle on their own and ones that inexperienced players can handle with relative ease if they have a rule book handy.

2M rule & 3:00 clock are aided by a tape measure and clock. Not all players carry them, so an official being a sherpa for this stuff is helpful....but their trained expertise is no better than anyone else's.

The last one is maybe OK, but I have a hard time seeing a full-time official "hired" with that as a primary responsibility to police.

I shouldn't be forced to officiate another persons round. I'm a competitive person trying to develop my golf mentality which all great golf coaches say ignore the competition, play your game.

So how do I do that, while having to pay attention to every little thing other players do? The paradox is evident and prevents progress.

I'm not saying we should change everything overnight, but start with NT's, they're seriously in need of it.

You express your opinion/preference here.....and that's all this is. It holds as much water as wishing the opponents in the endzone seats would be still while you are shooting your free throws (officiating is part of DG and you have to deal with it mentally).

I believe that all the coaches and books are talking about how the opponents are scoring, what equipment they are using, and what choices they are making in their execution......and letting that affect your performance/choices/strategy. That is a lot different than being a referee.

Regarding the handshake at the end:

Gurthie clearly yanks the hell out of Ricky and pulls him his way like, "No bro, just keep walking this way. Don't even look at him."

Those that think otherwise are delusional.

Wysocki even looks surprised like, "No, I gotta shake Nikko's hand too!"

And GG was like "Nah just be cool bro, straight face, straight face. Stop smiling."

Last edited:
Regarding the handshake at the end:

Gurthie clearly yanks the hell out of Ricky and pulls him his way like, "No bro, just keep walking this way. Don't even look at him."

Those that think otherwise are delusional.

Wysocki even looks surprised like, "No, I gotta shake Nikko's hand too!"

And GG was like "Nah just be cool bro, straight face, straight face. Stop smiling."

We can't read minds like you, I guess.

And we aren't all clueless like you....I guess. It's pretty freaking obvious. Why is this dumb thread still up?

Obvious to those that are devoid of critical thinking skills. I guess it is impossible for there to be more to the story than GG getting stinky over a foot fault.

Last edited:
Alright, couldn't make through 36 pages of this, but any of you thinking GG was pulling Ricky away, or looked pissed at that point are seeing what you want to see. All it was was GG and Ricky doing a shake where they locked fingers and pulled them apart with a snap. Ricky does the same thing to his caddy not 10 seconds later in the video. The only difference is Ricky doens't appear like he was expecting it from GG and given GGs massive grip, it yanked him a bit. No malice there. You guys want there to be drama where there isn't any.

Foot faults get called by pros all the time. There's not usually malice in it. Catrina called one on Sarah Hokom at a tourney earlier in the year. Nothing personal. It's just enforcing the rules.

Or maybe GG is just being a baby about the fact that Nikko called FF on him.. Which is definitely the most likely story, especially since it knocked GG down a place and kept him from catching Nikko. Nobody likes when somebody calls them out on a mistake, period. It's a matter of how you handle it. And to bring Ricky into the picture, by keeping him from being a true sportsman an shaking Nikko's hand, was the wrong way to handle it. It's written all over Ricky's face when GG did that. If you can't see that, then you don't know how to read someone's reaction to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.