• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Glow Allowed in PA State Parks

Jimb

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was hoping to play some glow golf at Shawnee S.P. in Schellsburg, PA.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2788

I had to leave a message on the park's machine. I was happy to get a reply today, in my voice-mail. Unfortunately, though, the park manager said that it's a PA park rule that their parks close at dark. So it's a no go for glow.

But while typing this thread, I thought of something. They have camping on site. So, the park obviously has to be open to allow camping. Sounds like I really need to get to talk to someone.

Thoughts?

PA State Parks close at dark and are open to the public at sunrise. I would imagine they allow camping because they are in designated areas usually and have set guidelines already established. I would definitely say wandering in the woods in the dark could have some liability ramifications...

Many state parks close to all but registered overnight campers at night. They typically have much less staff on site at night and the overnight campers would rather not have a bunch of folks coming and going in the wee hours of the night. Some parks even lock their gates and give the combination only to registered campers.

Hey, good input so far. I was thinking about camping there anyway this Spring. Maybe if I'm a registered camper then I could use the facilities. But, like was said, we might still be restricted to the camping area... which isn't close to the course.

Thanks! :thmbup:

Edit: I really hope that I didn't come off as sounding like I was bashing PA State Parks. That was not my intent with this thread.

Last edited:
I've heard that you can't glow at White River unless you're camping there. Washington is obviously a different animal than Pennsylvania, but you might be able to pull something like that off.

The regional parks around here are the same way and even if your camping your not supposed to golf at night. Buuuuut, if you do what's the worst that could happen? They give you a spanking and take away your birthday? Screw it. They're our parks. Use them!

I think it's pretty universal that parks close at dusk.

There are a few parks near Raleigh that have night mountain biking in the winter months. The rides are organized by a local club (TORC), so maybe they have some waivers releasing the park from responsibility? Possibly it's just that the park ranger/custodians are sympathetic to the plight of getting outside when the days are short.

Yeah, you might could play glow at White River if you were camped there[the course isn't close to the camping area], but the gate closes at dusk, and I arrived too late to camp and had to sleep in my Vanagon down the road. :\ Really good course, though! :thmbup:

My general experience, from many years of camping at state parks in many states, but not playing glow disc, is that the parks close to all but campers....but the campers aren't restricted to the camping area. There's usually no prohibition for campers bicycling through the park, or hiking trails, or whatever, after the gates are closed.

My guess is that disc golf would be no different. Glow disc might draw some attention and a ranger might check you out, might even tell you to stop if it's causing concern, but that's probably about it.

I think it's pretty universal that parks close at dusk.

There are a few parks near Raleigh that have night mountain biking in the winter months. The rides are organized by a local club (TORC), so maybe they have some waivers releasing the park from responsibility? Possibly it's just that the park ranger/custodians are sympathetic to the plight of getting outside when the days are short.

We have a handful of parks that are open till 9:00PM year-round. Kinda sucks as your're finishing a round late in the middle of summer but is great for winter rounds. I can normally get 2/3 of a round in and then switch to glow discs as the light fades this time of year. Gotten a few all glow rounds in during the last couple of weeks as well.

I added nothing to this thread for the OP.....
:doh:

They also do not allow alcohol at PA State Parks... Even when you are camping.

I think alot of places don't have specific rules on the matter. The places are obviously closed to automobiles at night (unless camping is offered), but foot traffic and disc golf is a little vague. One of my local courses is in a city park that closes after dark. I've played night golf a couple times there, just parking outside the gate and walking in. One of the times, the security guard drove right passed me without stopping or saying anything. Apparently, he didn't care. So unless anyone says anything to you about it, I don't think you should worry too much.

I say just go do it. I doubt you'd be thrown in jail or anything. You'd most likely just be asked to to leave if anyone had a problem with it. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

I doubt a lot of our officials involved with parks that have disc golf courses even realize that people play at night.

In that regard though, I doubt a lot of the non-DGing campers at those parks do either. I'd hate to have one of those people get beaned meandering about at a time when they wouldn't think people would be throwing things.

Whether you can do it or not may rest upon the nature of that particular park. If there's a lot of after hours foot traffic about the course area, I'd err on the side of caution.

Thanks again for the input, everyone. Whether on task or not, I find it interesting.

Now, in respnse to a couple points.

I don't drink, so the worst that I'd be caught with would be a Diet Pepsi.

The dg course at Shawnee is totally separate from the camping area. It's close to the beach, dock and picnic areas. But I doubt that there'd me much foot traffic at all... except for maybe skinny-dippers. :p

Update:

It was a park ranger who said that you couldn't get in after dark. But a regional manager called me and said that they have a "facility use" form that you can sign, and for $25, you can use the facilities for special purposes like this. So it looks like there might be some glow golf in the future for Shawnee and me.... and hopefully a few friends to cut down on the "per person" cost. :clap:

Dunno how close ohio is to you, but our state park laws mean every park is open until 11pm year round. I've never even had a park officer stop and ask what I was doing while glow golfing at 10pm with no other people in the park.

Dunno how close ohio is to you, but our state park laws mean every park is open until 11pm year round. I've never even had a park officer stop and ask what I was doing while glow golfing at 10pm with no other people in the park.

Nice!

It's about 3 hours for me to cross the border into Ohio. That OH park info is good to know, just in case, though! Thanks.