• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No reason for me to turn discs over

If releasing backhand hyzer and still flipping over, then he is throwing a very understable disc. Unless he is getting massive amounts of wobble, there is nothing about rolling your wrist that is going to make an overstable disc (or any other) released on a hyzer angle turn over.

there's usually no wobble when the disc is released, and I'm throwing destroyers

I'm throwing destroyers . . .

The flippiest distance driver in my bag is a Star Destroyer. It was flippy when brand spanking new. If you are throwing with 340-400 power and getting a clean release, then a disc's turning over is due to it being understable.

There are a couple of things that you can control that might help it turn over like the nose angle on release and the amount of spin and, while possible, those are not very likely to be the cause.

While I agree that a Destroyer shouldn't be understable, unfortunately, many of them are. There is so much variation within the same mold that one cannot reliably blame an unexpected result on throwing form when the unexpected result is merely that the disc doesn't fly like its assigned stability rating. Unfortunately, you can never know how any disc is going to fly until you throw it.

The flippiest distance driver in my bag is a Star Destroyer. It was flippy when brand spanking new. If you are throwing with 340-400 power and getting a clean release, then a disc's turning over is due to it being understable.

There are a couple of things that you can control that might help it turn over like the nose angle on release and the amount of spin and, while possible, those are not very likely to be the cause.

While I agree that a Destroyer shouldn't be understable, unfortunately, many of them are. There is so much variation within the same mold that one cannot reliably blame an unexpected result on throwing form when the unexpected result is merely that the disc doesn't fly like its assigned stability rating. Unfortunately, you can never know how any disc is going to fly until you throw it.

I have 4 max weight destroyers in my bag. 2 Dx, 1 star, and 1 champ(used for night rounds so I can strap a light onto it). The 2 Dx disc's flip over, the star and the champ have more of a flex line. Also seeings how I just started hurling disc's last Sept. I have no doubt that some of my form is most likely flawed. I have already notice flaws in my grip.

There is the possibility that it's just very understable, but there are lots of ways to OAT a disc and have it turn over for "no reason". As someone who has dealt with OAT in many forms over the years it is something that manifests itself in many different ways and because of many different things.

A disc can appear to be released cleanly, but still be OATed and turn much more than it should. It's not all about release angle, and wobble isn't always easy to see.

Do you have any experienced players around? Get one of them to throw your disc and see what they think. It may be that you have a super flippy disc, or it may be that your form is whack!

Do you have any experienced players around? Get one of them to throw your disc and see what they think. It may be that you have a super flippy disc, or it may be that your form is whack!

Unfortunately no... most of the disc golf I have learned is from video or here on the forum, the one friend who has been playing for a couple years doesn't seem to know how to help.

He's also a more casual player who is content to drink and shoot the breeze during a round.

Last edited:
If you have a good natural pop on your throw 400 can be reached relatively quickly. It came quickly for me and I don't doubt you can hit 400, but probably have to try real hard for it and it's inconsistent. Just throwing that out there. I believe you man. Tee signs are not trustworthy as people say and soccer/football fields are the best way to see how far you throw, but 400 is not unbelievable (literal sense) after a few months of play.

I can't add anything else and agree with what others are saying. There is a reason you here the "throw putters" comment a lot. Because it works. It's an excellent way to dial in your form.

My brother has issues with throwing putters because of poor form. I took him out to a baseball field and we threw some putters back and forth to each other for an hour or so. It was crazy how much improvement he had in that hour. If you don't have a buddy to throw with that's OK, but it helps for sure.

There is the possibility that it's just very understable, but there are lots of ways to OAT a disc and have it turn over for "no reason". As someone who has dealt with OAT in many forms over the years it is something that manifests itself in many different ways and because of many different things.

A disc can appear to be released cleanly, but still be OATed and turn much more than it should. It's not all about release angle, and wobble isn't always easy to see.

I guess that this OAT myth will just never die. :doh: OAT causes wobble. If the disc doesn't wobble then you didn't "OAT" it. There is no force that you can impart upon a disc that will make it spin on two separate axes after you have released it. If it turns over, it is because of some combination of gyroscopic and aerodynamic forces, not some lingering "turning momentum" caused by rolling your wrist.

I guess that this OAT myth will just never die. :doh: OAT causes wobble. If the disc doesn't wobble then you didn't "OAT" it. There is no force that you can impart upon a disc that will make it spin on two separate axes after you have released it. If it turns over, it is because of some combination of gyroscopic and aerodynamic forces, not some lingering "turning momentum" caused by rolling your wrist.

I don't disagree with anything you said, and you will hopefully see that I said nothing about axes or the disc not wobbling. I actually said "...wobble isn't always easy to see" because with high speed discs they can overcome the wobble very quickly compared to putters or slower discs where it is much easier to see.

I was suggesting that despite the fact that you release the disc on a strong hyzer angle you could be screwing up any number of other things that will cause OAT (wobble!) and flip the disc quickly. It's something that I have been fighting because I was doing something silly that made me feel like I was getting a good hyzer angle, but it was also causing OAT so it was counteracting the extra hyzer angle.

Last edited:
So i went out and played a round at red arrow just now. I altered my grip so that the disc followed the seam of my hand and watched for rolling my wrist. I was able to throw my putters between 220 and 240 ft with varying degrees of accuracy, the first flew way right but after that they more or less went straight or hyzered out at the end. My destroyers however are another matter, the star one flew very overstable and the other 2 dx destroyers flew a bit more understable.

If releasing backhand hyzer and still flipping over, then he is throwing a very understable disc. Unless he is getting massive amounts of wobble, there is nothing about rolling your wrist that is going to make an overstable disc (or any other) released on a hyzer angle turn over.

yah..you're correct. I should have said something along the lines of "you think you're releasing on a hyzer, but in reality could be wrist rolling at the last second". ;) lol..

So i went out and played a round at red arrow just now. I altered my grip so that the disc followed the seam of my hand and watched for rolling my wrist. I was able to throw my putters between 220 and 240 ft with varying degrees of accuracy, the first flew way right but after that they more or less went straight or hyzered out at the end. My destroyers however are another matter, the star one flew very overstable and the other 2 dx destroyers flew a bit more understable.

Putters holding a hyzer at that range is good. Don't be discouraged if your star Destroyers act really overstable with clean form...they can be very overstable discs. As you keep cleaning things up your DX Destroyers may stay a little straighter, or they just might be too understable to be straight discs (like I said earlier DX Destroyers can be very flippy). If that's the case then you may need something of a middle ground stability that you can trust to release flat or on slight hyzer and let it do the work. If the disc is too overstable you'll subconsciously try to smash it or yank on it just to get extra distance, in a bad way.

The grip on the seam of the hand thing...post a picture from the side if you'd like. Nose angle can play a large role in both distance potential and disc stability.

Putters holding a hyzer at that range is good. Don't be discouraged if your star Destroyers act really overstable with clean form...they can be very overstable discs. As you keep cleaning things up your DX Destroyers may stay a little straighter, or they just might be too understable to be straight discs (like I said earlier DX Destroyers can be very flippy). If that's the case then you may need something of a middle ground stability that you can trust to release flat or on slight hyzer and let it do the work. If the disc is too overstable you'll subconsciously try to smash it or yank on it just to get extra distance, in a bad way.

The grip on the seam of the hand thing...post a picture from the side if you'd like. Nose angle can play a large role in both distance potential and disc stability.

The star destroyer being overstable is fine, that actually what i want to happen. I get very annoyed when i try to rip a disc and make it go left but instead it takes off right and the Dx discs do just that. I guess i didn't expect there to be that much variation in the plastic to make them fly as understable as they are for me.

I will add this to the discussion for the OP. I have seen many people say their disc is just too understable and it flips even when released hyzer (could easily be your case as you have DX in the bag). However, when I watch players attempt a hyzer-flip they are not actually committing to the hyzer angle all the way through the release. They think they are, but they are not. What helped me "commit" to the hyzer angle was getting it out of my head that I wanted the disc to hyzer, then flip and go straight or right - just the thinking part. Instead I imagined I was trying to throw a true right to left hyzer and picked out a tree or area on the left side of the fairway (rhbh) and told myself to throw a pure hyzer to that spot. If the disc is understable it should do the work for you. This little mental game really helped me out.

Latest posts