• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon is better than your favorite course

He made the claim that he designed a course in another thread but he won't name it. What course designer won't tell you what courses he's designed?

here you go - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5525

I guess I'm not that good at sharing my opinion about a course without getting a little emotional. Oh well. I wasn't trying to be a di ck, was still amped up from my vacation. I appreciate the detailed reviews of others and will leave it to them from now on. thanks

Not a Well-Ordered Set

I know disc golf is a competitive sport so people tend to get competitive about everything including the ratings of their favorite courses. But seriously, do people really need to rank everything? Do you rank your favorite actors, movies, friends, children? I understand rating but not the need for ranking. I like seeing the top rated courses so I can make travel decisions but it would be fine with me if they were just given overall grades (A+, A, A-, etc.) rather than 2 digit precision scores. I have played Nocky, Tyler, Iron Hill and Paw Paw and they are all great courses but they are completely different experiences. And if I had a teleporter, I might choose a different one each time depending on what I was in the mood for.

As for the thumbs down on the two ratings (yes, the thing that started this whole discussion), I didn't find the reviews useful regardless of the number of discs assigned. If I were trying to decide if I wanted to play Nocky, neither of them gave me anything to help me decide either way. But I did not give the thumbs down (nor up). I also rarely rate a course - I usually only do if the course has only a few ratings or if I think the existing reviews are misleading or so dated as to not properly reflect the current course status. I have gotten nasty PMs when I didn't give as good a rating as some locals wanted - I ignored the PMs.

And ThreePutt seems to be the voice of reason here. If everything worded their review is the objective manner that ThreePutt demonstrated, we would probably have a lot fewer arguments.

Meh. Four Mounds/Cape Fear is harder, more scenic, more dramatic and less crowded. Doesn't get fanboi types wetting their pants over an assumed slight, either. Though they do wet their pants on a specific #9. :D:p

:eek: But I do have a list of chosen eastern courses to visit, if I ever get East enuf. And Nockimixon's high on the list.

I know disc golf is a competitive sport so people tend to get competitive about everything including the ratings of their favorite courses. But seriously, do people really need to rank everything? Do you rank your favorite actors, movies, friends, children?

actually, yes sorta. not absolutely everything, but a lot of things.

I haven't played it yet and I agree.

I have played it. I have even played it with optidisc.

It is truely a great course, but not the best I have played.
This made me go through my ratings and look and I did have some courses rated a half disc higher that were not better than nocky. Maybe I was subcounciously upset since the rough terrain destroyed my shoes in a single round, maybe it was the fact that every throw was from a stand still. I also played it after a hurricane, so it was not in the best shape, but I tried to not let that affect my 4 star review.

Nockamixon isn't better than my favorite course, it is my favorite course.

Maybe it's because I cut my teeth there, I don't know, but all of the rocks and standstill comments crack me up.

If you're IN THE FAIRWAY, the only holes rocks could really impede a runup on are 3, 10 and 18. Maybe my definitions are different, but playing a mental round quickly there that's all I could come up with. I don't expect easy, unimpeded shots if I'm off in the ****.

I know others have pointed this out, and to each their own, but for some reason those gripes rub me the wrong way.

It's not park golf, that's for sure.

I guess I will begin where I began. Nocki was my first course and this is my first post.
First, let me say, Opti is most likely correct... Nocki is indeed better than {fill in course name here}.

It was the first course I played. It beat my ass. I took the beating 6 times before I asked the guy that introduced us to the game if there were any other courses. And let me be clear, Nocki is a beat down like none other I have played (Yet to play either the Iron or Maple Hills), it will take it's toll mentally and physically. It's the only course I've broken a bone on, not to mention countless bruises and some lost discs.

With that said, If I had to pick only one course to ever get to play again though, Nocki would be it. The scenery around you is as good as any course I've played. You'll find yourself taking pictures there throughout the year to capture the beauty of every season. There's a reason Vibram used a picture of Nocki for their Birdie Bash page, and I'll give you a hint, it's not because they had one there (they didn't). The course a challenge like no other. Long and you'd better stay in the fairway.

I would chalk the thumbs up or down up to people being fickle. Two thumbs don't matter, when there are 50 thumbs things average out closer to where they should be. In the end though, they need to be taken with the same grain of salt as the reviews because, again, people are fickle. I waited until I had played about 30 courses before I wrote my first review, pushing 60 and I've still only written three* (One is gone because I didn't actually get to play the super high rated but probably nonexistent or at least ridiculously exclusive (says by permission but doesn't have any contact information) course).
The other thing might be a difference in what people are looking for in a review... In deference to the OP's style, I don't really think a review needs to be a hole by hole description of the course. For me the thumb depends literally on whether or not the review was helpful (and accurate). It can be 3 words (This place sucks / Greatest course ever) and still get an upward thumb if I agree with it or a down if I don't. When I write my review about Nocki I'm not going to describe the perfect hyzer bomb line on hole 16 nor the annie/roller options available, in stead I will talk about the pro from NC I played there with acting like a giddy little kid hopping up and down saying, "I'm gonna throw another one" with a huge grin after he parked his Orc. Probably won't mention the ones I turned over and sent out into the marina parking lot.

Well damn. Once I get my head around this whole disc going the direction I intended thing, I'm driving straight over to Nocki. Or Nocky.

Nocki is not better than Milo </thread>

Well damn. Once I get my head around this whole disc going the direction I intended thing, I'm driving straight over to Milo.

Disclaimer: I have never played Nocky and pictures are deceiving. But, what is up with all the "late trouble" in the design of this course??

Late trouble is narrow gaps late in a fairway or fairway segment. The gaps are small enough that navigating them from a distance is not a matter of skill, but of luck. Bad luck costs you 1 throw at most the majority of the time. It is bad design, and should not be used on tournament courses. It is a fun design for lots of cheers/groans in a beer round with friends.

What are the thoughts on these holes from those who have played?

1 (10? 821' - basket to tee
73b98fbb.jpg

6 (15?) 555'
6970d110.jpg

8 (18?) 567' - basket to tee
2d767169.jpg

10 (1?) 556' - approach (basket behind that wall of trees)
4de9aa84.jpg

12 (3?) 527' - basket to tee view
ea2e99e2.jpg

and more...

16 (7?) 438' - approach
5b5f51c5.jpg

18 (9?) 730' approach
1465e3ca.jpg

Glad to see this thread re-opened a year later!:doh:
Besides the obvious baiting of the OP, Nocki is a great course. Those of us in the NE are used to tree courses as a facet of the game, and this course is near the top of the list of that style course.
All respect to you and your experience dude, but analyzing course design via low rez pics online is an exercise in futility. Yes, you'll get unfair tree kicks on 'perfect' throws, and you won't birdie every hole. But it's an amazing beast of a course. I've played it 4 times this Spring, and I leave exhausted and demoralized each time. But also extremely satisfied and kinda elated.