• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon is better than your favorite course

the claim in the op is demonstrably false. what if my favorite course is nockamixon.

how could nockamixon be better than than. the whole point is invalid

the claim in the op is demonstrably false. what if my favorite course is nockamixon.

how could nockamixon be better than than. the whole point is invalid

2nd this emotion.

I mean, geeeez. :\ :| :|

I think those of us that use DGCR as an actual resource and not just a sounding board want some content on a 5-disc rating review. I routinely give the thumbs down to short reviews because a 5 rating means nothing could possibly be improved, and you (the reviewer) better justify that rating with details if you expect us readers to say "good job" by way of giving your review a thumbs up. This isn't to say a short review can't be helpful or appreciated, but most folks, myself certainly included, lack the coherent brevity to make that happen.

to the OP, those "thumbs-downers" aren't bashing or voting against Nockamixon getting a 5-disc rating, they are voicing dissatisfaction with the individual review itself.

fwiw, the course looks rad and is definitely on my wishlist.

I have quite few thumbs down on what I consider to be competent reviews. So be it. Noki looks like a really nice spot from all of the video I've seen. I would make the time if it wasn't like 2000 miles away!

I've played Maple Hill and Nockamixon. Both are in the 4.5 to 5 star range for me. Both have amazing shots. Nocky is more difficult but we also played in a driving rain storm which inflated my score as well as the available creek water. Jordan was nice but more of a stroll in a park.

I have quite few thumbs down on what I consider to be competent reviews. So be it. Noki looks like a really nice spot from all of the video I've seen. I would make the time if it wasn't like 2000 miles away!

Just curious, but did you give the thumbs down because you didn't feel the course warranted the given rating or because you didn't agree with the particular pros/cons/other thoughts listed by the reviewer?

Just curious, but did you give the thumbs down because you didn't feel the course warranted the given rating or because you didn't agree with the particular pros/cons/other thoughts listed by the reviewer?

i think he was saying, that he has written reviews that he feels are competent and received thumbs down on.

which of course will happen. though many of us give thumbs based on our opinion of the review itself, there are definitely many who give thumbs based upon the rating

Haters are going to hate...

An interesting question and intelligent thread. There could be many reasons for the thumbs down. Could be the thumbers truly didn't like the review. Could be the thumbers may be having a bad day, and it's an easy way to "feel better". Could be they like other higher-rated courses better, and are "defending" them by deflating other courses DGCR ratings.

I've got about a 10:1 up:down ration on my reviews (ok, more like 9:1, but 10:1 sounds better). I reviews a course that I think has inflated ratings and got two immediate thumbs down. I went and re-read my review, but didn't change anything - it was true to my style and consistent with other reviews. My theory is that some locals didn't like an objective review - never got any feedback, so wouldn't know.

It would be interesting if someone was able to set up a bracket poll with 32 courses - say 4 from 8 regions (NE, NW, CA, Plains, SE, MN/WI, Great Lakes, Texas - you could break down other ways, you would probably need a misc region - but just brainstorming). You would need some sort of voting to get to the 4 from the region. Then, in the brackets, you could only vote if you had actually played that course.... Sounds really complicated, time consuming and more March appropriate, but may be interesting.....

Haters are going to hate...

An interesting question and intelligent thread. There could be many reasons for the thumbs down. Could be the thumbers truly didn't like the review. Could be the thumbers may be having a bad day, and it's an easy way to "feel better". Could be they like other higher-rated courses better, and are "defending" them by deflating other courses DGCR ratings.

I've got about a 10:1 up:down ration on my reviews (ok, more like 9:1, but 10:1 sounds better). I reviews a course that I think has inflated ratings and got two immediate thumbs down. I went and re-read my review, but didn't change anything - it was true to my style and consistent with other reviews. My theory is that some locals didn't like an objective review - never got any feedback, so wouldn't know.

It would be interesting if someone was able to set up a bracket poll with 32 courses - say 4 from 8 regions (NE, NW, CA, Plains, SE, MN/WI, Great Lakes, Texas - you could break down other ways, you would probably need a misc region - but just brainstorming). You would need some sort of voting to get to the 4 from the region. Then, in the brackets, you could only vote if you had actually played that course.... Sounds really complicated, time consuming and more March appropriate, but may be interesting.....

Yep. Best way to get thumbs up. Review popular courses and give them all about .5 to .75 above their average.

And write a decent quantity

Shhhh!!! I want to have Nocky all to myself again. I don't think I can give a 5 rating to a public course, but Nocky is the closest and my fourth overall favorite course, but it is my #1 favorite public course currently.

Oh and the reviews/thumbs, I don't think it really has to do with them being 5's, but the reviews are a bit brief.

I don't care about writing reviews enough to write a page long review. There are enough people on here that seem to enjoy doing so. I also don't care about how many thumbs up/down I get for my brief reviews because I realize that people will probably dislike them. As you can see in my profile, I have played around 160 courses in various parts of the country. Having played a good number of the top rated courses, I like to think I know a little bit about what makes a great course. (on a side note for those that care about ratings...I never joined the pdga so I don't have one. However, I regularly play tags with and beat several 950+ rated players--at Nocky and elsewhere) That being said, I've only reviewed about eight courses and I think most of them were sad attempts to right the wrongs of previous high ratings by giving my personal rating.
Out of the current top 25 that I've played, I think Nocky should be above Tyler, Holler in the hills, Deer lakes and both Horning's. Actually, I don't think Nocky is in the top 50 and that's just wrong. Looking at the top 50, Nocky should also be above Milo, Jordan, Whipping Post, Woodshed, and Lincoln ridge.
This is all MY opinion of course. Feel free to travel around the country and form your own opinions. I am a guide for Nocky if you are ever in the area. That is not a challenge, just an offer to show you around.

Well now, this certainly ramps up my showdown with Nockamixon in two weeks. To be honest out of all the courses we are planning to play Paw Paw still excites me the most; but from what I've heard about Nockamixon from several course baggers on the site I sure am ready to get there and see what the fuss is about.

I will say that if Nockamixon is better than my favorite courses it better be one hell of a course. Just to crack my Top 5 at this point will certainly be a chore. If only we could fit Maple Hill in on this trip to truly give it a comparison.

Well now, this certainly ramps up my showdown with Nockamixon in two weeks. To be honest out of all the courses we are planning to play Paw Paw still excites me the most; but from what I've heard about Nockamixon from several course baggers on the site I sure am ready to get there and see what the fuss is about.

I will say that if Nockamixon is better than my favorite courses it better be one hell of a course. Just to crack my Top 5 at this point will certainly be a chore. If only we could fit Maple Hill in on this trip to truly give it a comparison.

Agree with this.

It's gotta be pretty darn special to beat out Hawk Hollow, Blackjack and Flyboy. I'm looking forward to getting out there on this road trip. It's gonna be a hell of a good time with a lot of good courses.

Maybe he'll meet up with you guys for a round. Get the band back together and what not.

Latest posts