• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon is better than your favorite course

I attended the 'Sexy-Beast' 3 disc challenge last night in San Francisco, and someone asked Paul and Nate what their favorite course was. Nate's is Milo in the BSF layout. Paul's was some finnish course nicknamed 'the beast'. So, just keeping things open in terms of which course is on the favorite list of top players...

While it's really interesting to hear about the favorite courses of super gold players, it's not surprising at all when that doesn't exactly match up with what you see here. Courses generally get rated based on how they appeal to a range of skill levels, mostly focused on red level to blue level players since that encompasses the majority of the site's users. Most of us aren't at all qualified to evaluate a course on how it would play for the top players, and I don't think it would be all that helpful to make that the defining characteristics of the rating system here when almost none of those players are using the reviews and course ratings here.

thanks for the link. It does look awesome!

Just like you're entitled to your opinion, others are entitled to theirs. You're absolutely free to share yours in the form of a review, but other people are free to share theirs by voting up or down. That doesn't mean anybody is saying you're not allowed to love that course, just that they didn't find what you wrote helpful overall.

Yeah, or they saw 5 stars, didn't read what I wrote, and instinctually voted negative because they don't agree with 5 stars...either one...

Yeah, or they saw 5 stars, didn't read what I wrote, and instinctually voted negative because they don't agree with 5 stars...either one...

Again, just because that's not how you (or I) choose to use the voting feature doesn't mean those people aren't entitled to their opinion. You want people to respect your right to write whatever you want about the course, but you don't think others have a right to disagree.

Again, just because that's not how you (or I) choose to use the voting feature doesn't mean those people aren't entitled to their opinion. You want people to respect your right to write whatever you want about the course, but you don't think others have a right to disagree.

Can't argue with that. Just a shame that negativity outweighs positivity on many reviews that people spend a lot of time and thought on. I notice it a common theme amongst the courses around me. A lot of thumbs down for in detail reviews seemingly for no other reason than the person reviewing rated the course too highly...Like you said, can't change people's opinions. And like I said in the first place, that is why I don't let opposing opinions bother me too much. I just try my best to be nice and only write positive things. I find that a great M.O. in life and on this site :). But, nobody is perfect, including myself. My disc golf game can attest to that.

Last edited:
Can't argue with that. Just a shame that negativity outweighs positivity on many reviews that people spend a lot of time and thought on. I notice it a common theme amongst the courses around me. A lot of thumbs down for in detail reviews seemingly for no other reason than the person reviewing rated the course too highly...Like you said, can't change people's opinions. And like I said in the first place, that is why I don't let opposing opinions bother me too much. I just try my best to be nice and only write positive things. I find that a great M.O. in life and on this site :). But, nobody is perfect, including myself. My disc golf game can attest to that.

I like that the review form has explicit pro and con sections. I would definitely upvote a review where someone likes the course much better than me, but they give the reasons why I might not like (even if those negatives aren't a big deal to the reviewer). Even the very best courses have negatives.

Negatives *are* very useful. People use this site to decide which courses to play with the time they have, and knowing which courses have things they might not like is valuable. If you refuse to write down negatives, people should be voting your reviews as not helpful. (Obviously on a great course, the positives list will be much longer than the negatives.)

nockamixon's #18 green has had a ton of work

The gaps on the approach are not too small if you've gotten close enough. Using the picture of 16 (7) as an example, that's a basket you expect to get to off the tee. Your picture is deceiving since you're not approaching from that direction or that spot -- you're approaching from on top of a hill and if you make a great throw you're parked, if you make an ok throw it's a putt, etc. as with most of those pictures you're looking at.

Of all the basket locations at Nockamixon the one that's least fair you haven't shown is old 9 new 18? (I think). You can throw a good drive and a good approach and still have no putt, otherwise the rest of the place has some of the most challenging, while still fair basket locations around.

Just got back out there for a couple rounds Saturday -- 18's basket (formerly 9) has had a whole bunch of clearing done to make it into a much fairer approach. You can see the basket from much farther away also, which is always a good thing.

Having played some great texas courses, and a majority of the best courses in michigan (including flip city and blue gill) nockamixon is still the best course I have ever played.

Latest posts