• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob friendly DG Primer, sticky worthy?

noob friendly DG Primer, sticky worthy?

• Yep

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Yeah but I'd add more to it.

Votes: 21 22.3%

• Total voters
I thought it would be nice if there was something we could direct noobs to for basic stuff on improving their game and things like that. What do you think? I tried to put just stuff that there is a general consensus about, so I left out threads like "are overstable midranges pointless." Feel free to add some beneficial links to it, let's get this ball rolling.

I'm working on a big project right now. I'm collaborating with cfair on a set of drills aimed at intermediate players (300' throwers), then writing a webpage that will go intensively in-depth about the techniques and philosophies behind the program. I'm also going to write a general beginner's guide. I'll put up some links sometime in the next few weeks.

I'm working on a big project right now. I'm collaborating with cfair on a set of drills aimed at intermediate players (300' throwers), then writing a webpage that will go intensively in-depth about the techniques and philosophies behind the program. I'm also going to write a general beginner's guide. I'll put up some links sometime in the next few weeks.

Whoa Whoa Whoa... 300' intermediate? Man... I can not ever get that far. Probably ever. :( Chronic tendonitis of shoulder and frequent dislocations. To me proper technique and the right disc are the only way I'll ever get out to any real distance because I can't risk generating those kinds of power throws. Not saying you're not correct in the general sense... but man... I like to call myself intermediate... but I guess I can't if it's based on drive distances... :wall:

These are awesome! Its always nice to see how pros throw and the differences. make small adjustments especially when driving can be tough sometimes, especially if you are used to throwing a certain way everytime

Whoa Whoa Whoa... 300' intermediate? Man... I can not ever get that far. Probably ever. :( Chronic tendonitis of shoulder and frequent dislocations. To me proper technique and the right disc are the only way I'll ever get out to any real distance because I can't risk generating those kinds of power throws. Not saying you're not correct in the general sense... but man... I like to call myself intermediate... but I guess I can't if it's based on drive distances... :wall:

Just a general number. I have a good friend that's probably 250'-300' of power currently but he cleans up nice with upshots and has solid putting. He's usually within 5 strokes of my scores on a lot of courses. I wasn't trying to say anyone who can't throw that far is a beginner. Especially with physical injuries coming into play, that changes thing a lot.

Lil bit of dgr d!ck ridin goin on there;)

I'm guessin that dc vid is the Scott papa vid- that's my suggestion.
If people want more, direct em to read dgr.

What ever happened to the good ol days when we were about using bosses for 200 ft hyzers and putting- most versitile disc eva! Dgcr ftw! (not for the win)

The problem with DGR is that there's so much info it's overload, especially for noobs. I figured some links covering the basics all in one place would be beneficial, especially for me since I'm getting tired of pulling a Prerube with every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes out of the wood work.

This is DG 101, DGR is advanced theory. I'm just trying to silence all the ADHD knuckleheads we've got in here so that the lesson that putting with a Boss may not be a good idea reaches the noobs.

Clean out the attitude and have someone post the thread who doesn't put horny toads in his avatar, and I'll vote yes. :thmbup:

Not that I have anything against BrotherDave or his horny toads, I just don't know if I want them stickied to the top of the forums. :p

I think that is actually a battle toad from the sega game.
My problem with the post is that everything builds on one another and gets technical quick. Even just grips. It doesn't matter what grip you use if the wrist isn't alligned correctly. Then the why's of each grip usually lead into rip point and such.
Maybe just a winded post addressing strong arming vs pulling. That way were not saying there one correct way to throw but more of how with the method we can help adress issues as they're discovered.
Not hatin, I completly understand where you're coming from, just bouncing thoughts...

Clean out the attitude and have someone post the thread who doesn't put horny toads in his avatar, and I'll vote yes. :thmbup:

Not that I have anything against BrotherDave or his horny toads, I just don't know if I want them stickied to the top of the forums. :p

It's cause I hate the Braves, isn't? ;)

Yes, I think a noob primer thread is a great idea, having all the videos and threads that get posted over and over again, all in one place.

On this one video about the Climo grip, I'm not sure I get the point here. I've watched it several times, but I can't see how it really differs from a standard power grip that much. He moves his thumb over toward the center of the disc? Can anybody clarify?

it's different than the power grip cause the power grip has all four finger tips on the rim. climo's really only has your pinky and index finger on the rim, and your ring and middle finger are fanned out to the flight plate. like you're holding a fork/pencil

it's different than the power grip cause the power grip has all four finger tips on the rim. climo's really only has your pinky and index finger on the rim, and your ring and middle finger are fanned out to the flight plate. like you're holding a fork/pencil

ahh ok, I think I missed that. I'll have to watch a few more times, lol. Is this called the 'Climo' grip?

My opinion of what this thread should be:

1. Someone should type out some general guidelines in terms of equipment, technique, and etiquette that every new player should know. References to further reading and videos should be linked within these general guidelines, including things further down in the thread.

2. Common beginner-friendly discs should be listed along with what low-power players should expect out of them, and goals to work toward. Lets face it, most new players lurk these forums to see what discs they should buy.

3. Categorized technique and equipment references; beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Things like discing down, nose down and basic throw mechanics should be in beginner, line shaping and methods for achieving "the half hit" should be in intermediate, and things like disc flight physics and tournament strategy can be in advanced.

Latest posts