• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Super DG Me - 1000 for 30

How did the latter half of this experiment go?

I'm starting up a regular routine of one game of PP360 (100 putts) each weekday - can sneak it in during my lunch break from work. It's clear from my tournaments lately that my putting is lagging far behind my drives/upshots... evidenced by the atrocious 93 I scored in my initial game of PP360 today. Nowhere to go but up!

I've gone from no putting confidence to very confident and hitting so many big putts, completely worth it. I'll give a more detailed update after the weekend.

Reflecting on this experiment.

First, a recap. You can read the first post to see my plan, how it actually played out: The first 12 days or so I was getting 1000 putts in nearly every day. I knew my schedule would get busier after that, and I was only getting in 5-700 for the next 10 days or so. Towards the end of the 30 days, I was at 3-500 per day, focusing on more quality putts than quantity. 70% of my putts were 20' and in, the other 30% never exceeded 30'.

Results.

Much smoother release - each tourney I've played recently, somebody will mention how smooth and natural looking my putting motion is. I've heard through the grapevine "There's this guy with a beard, Hawaiian shirt, and a fedora that has this incredible putt, he makes it look so easy." They're usually talking about my step through jump putts, or my lay-out diving putts.

I never practiced those. But the putting motion is the same that I have been practicing, just more exaggerated. And it works, I've hit so many putts in recent tourneys in the 25' - 45' range. It's those 20'ers that get me, but I can see that it's a completely mental thing, I go into it with a attitude of "this should be easy, I hope I don't miss." not consciously, inevitably I miss. My mental game still needs work, but I'm getting there.

I've gone from middle of the pack ma1 935 rated player to lead card ma1 player throwing consistent 970+ golf, much due to the work on my putting and mental game.

I still have lots of work to do, but I can see it now, I know exactly where I need to focus to improve.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you're looking to seriously improve your game - 1000 putts a day was worth it, each day I would notice little things, work on little things, make small improvements, and see small results. It was a lot of work, I was so sore in the mornings, there was times I wanted to quit. I'm sure smaller quantities would show results, but I'm convinced that there's something in the number 1000, it truly was worth it, it helped.

Now to work on my mental game and win some more tourneys :D

Thanks for these reflections, and congrats on the improvement! I was inspired by your post a while back, and I started up a routine of getting in 100 putts during my lunch break, and have managed to sustain it for a few weeks now. I've also seen similar improvements in the mechanics of my release, and I've gone from middle of the pack in MA2 shooting 910 golf to winning two tournaments in a row and averaging 960, and moving up to MA1.

As far as the mental side - it's been recommended in other threads, but I highly recommend 'Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect' by Bob Rotella. Written for ball golf, but 95% of it applies to disc golf. The negative thought you describe on the 20' putts is just the kind of thing he discusses at length, and supplies some good techniques for avoiding that kind of disruption.

PP360 is something I let trail off that I wish I would have stayed committed to, and I am currently working into my practice routine again, I believe it helps so much on focus and working on the mental game. The closest I came was what I mentioned in this thread, after that first 12 day stretch, I didn't have the means to consistently get pp360 in, so nope, still working on that one.

How long does it take to hit 1000 putts? Just wondering if I even have the time to try something like this...

Well, most of my day was dedicated to putting.

100 putts ~= 20 minutes. I'd do a set each hour. So ~10 hours. If I put my mind to it, I could get through 1000 in about 5 hours. It's definitely possible to get through it quicker, but it may not be wise.

The value of putting practice.

Immediately after this routine I was playing quite well, fairly competitive in the local open scene, very competitive in MA1 events around the country, playing consistent 980 golf. Now, I haven't practiced putting seriously in months, only have been playing rounds. My putting is god awful, pretty sure I missed 14 putts this last tourney round including a couple 3 putts. Time to instil a putting routine.

100 a day, and some pp360 each day.

Latest posts