• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mental Game of Disc

On the course, I use visualization. Seeing the shot and throw in my mind.

Same here. I've been playing long enough that I know my bag and my abilities so well that I can just look at any hole and pretty instantly know what to throw. I can visualize the ideal shot for me and then try to execute. I also put myself to sleep every night by visualizing and playing different courses in my head and going over every possible situation and what I would need to do. Im lucky enough that I can do this and I know that not everyone can but I think visualization is one of the more powerful things you can do for your game.

ru4por,

I like to hear this from another player. What is amazing is that your take on the mental side of how you play, Bob Rotella suggests to his clients when they go out. Confidence in his opinion overrides technique when in a pressure situation.

That is not to say that technique is not important. He espouses that once the technique has been dialed in and becomes habit the mental game takes over and it comes down to trusting yourself and your "club" selection. Questioning yourself and your technique only breaks down your confidence and your ability to carry a low score all the way through a round.

Games and sports are interesting, in that they are similar in many ways but the differences is what I find I enjoy.

I played pretty competitive darts for many years and while there is significant cross over in concentration and visualization, the big difference is a dart throw rarely changes. The physical motion is fairly static. After enough practice, it is almost a mental game. To be good, you REALLY have to dial in the concentration. All my opinion above.

Disc golf is really different, in that the dart (disc) changes, the flight path is unique each time, the distance varies and there are many outside influences on the throw, especially after it leaves your hand. So, while muscle memory takes you a ways down the path to a good throw, there is still a ton of mental work that needs to go into the effort.

I have kind of recently got back into golf and am finding that my mental disc golf preparation and execution are serving me very well in golf.

This may seem trite, but as our founder stated, whoever has the most fun wins. When we get too far off this mindset, anger sets in, then stress. Stress contracts our muscles and the muscle memory developed for a particular throw is now lost. Especially putting.

My gameplay improved a fair amount when I stopped keeping score. I know why play the game then? I am trying to reincorporate scoring into my rounds, so far so good...

Great to hear! I agree that fun comes first! It is my number one rule in Dungeon Mastering Dungeons and Dragons. It is also my number one rule while playing disc golf. I think one of the best parts of playing disc is just throwing. Now, that being said, I do keep score when I go out, not so much as a record of how bad I am, but more as a way of tracking overall improvement. I don't get stressed about my final score at the end of a practice round.

On the course, I use visualization. Seeing the shot and throw in my mind.

Same here. I've been playing long enough that I know my bag and my abilities so well that I can just look at any hole and pretty instantly know what to throw. I can visualize the ideal shot for me and then try to execute. I also put myself to sleep every night by visualizing and playing different courses in my head and going over every possible situation and what I would need to do. Im lucky enough that I can do this and I know that not everyone can but I think visualization is one of the more powerful things you can do for your game.

You guys would be more like the Fred Couples reference in the book. :D

Good book, also snagged the audio book on itunes and makes for a great time passer on those long road trips to the next course.

I have one huge issue that I keep trying to improve on and would make my game so much better. I had the same issue with ball golf.

I look at the final target (disc golf: basket, ball golf: flag stick) and then throw/swing. Most times, the distance is too far for me to get to the final target, but that is my focus.

I need to look at the final target to 'acknowledge' it (know where it is), but then I need to look at a spot that is attainable and make that my goal. Too many times, I "know" I can't make it to my target and that I will end up elsewhere, but I don't focus on that attainable spot. When I do manage to focus on the attainable spot, then I play my best.....but doing it hasn't come naturally, and I keep slipping up.

That's just it lol. You haven't read it, but claim to know the 'type' of book it is, as if that is a valuable analysis. So, you have rendered the content of this book into a concept in your mind, and discarded it, without reading it. To me that isn't an honest way to think, but you do you man.

Well, I've picked up enough hints in this forum (where this particular book has been referenced dozens, if not scores, of times) to know what "type" it is. That ain't an analysis, it's a judgment. If it's an incorrect or unfair judgment then I'm ignorant, not dishonest.

I also have not read, am not interested in, and cannot be helped by, the Black and Decker Guide to Home Masonry, for example, or McGuffey's Eclectic Primer.

I have one huge issue that I keep trying to improve on and would make my game so much better. I had the same issue with ball golf.

I look at the final target (disc golf: basket, ball golf: flag stick) and then throw/swing. Most times, the distance is too far for me to get to the final target, but that is my focus.

I need to look at the final target to 'acknowledge' it (know where it is), but then I need to look at a spot that is attainable and make that my goal. Too many times, I "know" I can't make it to my target and that I will end up elsewhere, but I don't focus on that attainable spot. When I do manage to focus on the attainable spot, then I play my best.....but doing it hasn't come naturally, and I keep slipping up.

This is a very common mistake. Players throw the shot shape that would theoretically get them to the basket, despite the fact that they haven't got nearly the distance to do so. It helps to know (Know. Accurately. Honestly.) what you can and admit what you can't do.

The book is, Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella.

Great book.

Another great book is In Pursuit of Excellence by Terry Orlick.

The mental side...oof.

If you figure it out, let me know. :)

On rare occasions, I've found a kind of 'flow' state. I can't offer a crisp definition of 'flow', but there's a Radiolab podcast episode about it that hits the mark. They describe an experiment in which participants had an electric current applied to their brain that induced 'flow'--incredible response times, complete immersion in the moment, statistically significant improvement in overall execution.

So I suggest you apply some voltage to your brain. :D

Practically speaking, I think every athlete wants to find 'flow' when their performance matters the most. But this often just results in a lot of mental clutter and self-talk instead of actual flow. It may even detract.

It feels impossible for me to declutter-at-will like this. I want to find that pure execution state of mind. I know what it feels like, it's almost like there's no pre-thought. That is, there may be rehearsal (e.g., visualizing a shot shape and throw) but the mind does not wander on stage and deliver a distracting self-lecture.

I'm going to try to shake things up myself. I know that analysis in moments of execution, and after execution, can be detrimental. I find myself on the course engaging in philosophy rather than something more like a hunt or a battle.

For some reason I think of Michael Jordan, when he would go off. He'd find an object or person as a focus of his vengeance and just use that as fuel. Not saying this is 'the way' but it's a useful case study.

This topic is fascinating, and I hope to add something of value through my own efforts.

This is a very common mistake. Players throw the shot shape that would theoretically get them to the basket, despite the fact that they haven't got nearly the distance to do so. It helps to know (Know. Accurately. Honestly.) what you can and admit what you can't do.

This is a big part in my mind what separates an advanced player from making the jump to pro. They dont know how to make the correct disc/line choice and they constantly over reach past what they are able to do.

Disc golfers, especially beginners, need to quit 'just throwing' the disc. It's easy to just take your stance and throw. But there's more to it than that.

Decide where you want your disc to land, within your ability. Don't aim for that spot, because the disc doesn't fly straight - aim for the spot your disc needs to 'hit' to get to its landing spot. Commit to THAT shot and make it.

Even after 2 years playing, I sometimes catch myself 'just throwing'. Getting up to the tee pad or my lie and tossing the disc in the direction I want it to go. That's not a method for success. My best throws are when I plan my shot for the line I need to the disc to travel to land at my target and then commit to that. But, it is so much easier to "just throw" the damn disc.

X2.

Like you, I've realized I throw much better with a target in mind versus trying to throw as far as possible. Remembering to do that has proven hit and miss.

There are a couple holes I play regularly where the landing is blind (downhill and or throwing over trees). so it's more challenging to find something to target.

X2.

Like you, I've realized I throw much better with a target in mind versus trying to throw as far as possible. Remembering to do that has proven hit and miss.

There are a couple holes I play regularly where the landing is blind (downhill and or throwing over trees). so it's more challenging to find something to target.

On holes where your landing spot is blind, don't focus on the landing....focus on how to get there. Using your example, you know you have to throw over the trees, so that is the only thing you should focus on....how high over the trees and what spot do you need to hit. I saw a video with Paul McBeth where he says he focuses on a square in the air that he has to get his disc through so it will end up where he wants it to be. That's what I try and do.....figure out where I want my disc to land and then pick the target that I need to hit to get the result I want. Even when putting, if I'm behind a tree or large bush, I figure out the best path to the basket and then only focus on hitting that path (doesn't always work...but gives me the best chance).

I have not read this book, but it is on my list.

I think the mental part of disc golf is similar to all games and sports. Much of success can be attributed to athletic prowess. But, continued improvement can be achieved.

On the course, I use visualization. Seeing the shot and throw in my mind. I have been playing for a while and muscle memory can be a friend and foe. Once on the tee box, I honestly don't worry about some parts of my throw, at the moment that is foot work, grip....I do run a bit of a mental check list. Currently on that list is keeping the disc close to me and accelerating through the hit. This list changes, all the time. Making a great throw is not the entire goal though, it is the ability to repeat the throw that is the catch. When things are going well, my mind is quiet and calm. That is often my primary struggle. I often am simply not willing to make the commitment to that kind of concentration. That is ok though. I am not going to beat myself up for just going out and having fun.

Sounds like you've already got a good bit of what Rotella teaches in that book already figured out. A big point he constantly makes is that there is a practice phase, and a playing phase. During practice, focusing on swing mechanics is the primary goal. But once you're out playing, you're in the playing phase, and you must not have any swing mechanic thoughts at all, and swing free, using your bodies natural athletic motion and the skills you've developed from practice, and to accept the game and skills you've brought to the course that day, because they're not going to change in the moment, but only over the course of time practicing. And don't worry about other non golf related thoughts, those are perfectly fine and welcomed, just don't bog yourself down on swing mechanic/technical thoughts. That's one big takeaway from that book that helped me tremendously, among many others. That book has really molded my playing style more than anything.

I've read it more times now that I can remember. It's gold, not just for golf, but for every sport in general. My top 5 favorite non fiction books of all time.

There is another awesome book I highly recommend called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell, and a big part of what he talks about is exactly what you're describing, on how our inital gut reactions are almost always the right decision and that often our mind makes decisions before we are even consciously aware of it, as if there is lag time from when our lizard brain makes an initial assessment on something and our more developed, frontal cortex processes it.

On my local competitive course there is a par 4 hole with a mandatory tree a little more than half-way down the fairway which creates a dogleg left. The play is a RHBH (or a similar type for lefties) that lands in a landing area roughly the size of circle 1 about 270' down the fairway just past the mando. If you leave it a little bit short you can land in an open area left of the mando without having passed the mandatory line.

I was spotting a tournaments a couple of weeks back and spotted pretty much every division over the weekend aside from FPO and MPO. I saw dozens of people land 15-45' short of the mando and have an easy putt to get themselves into a great position to save par. Almost everyone walked up to their lie, disappointed with their drive, and quickly threw the disc in the general direction of the ideal landing area, and probably over 2/3 of them hit a tree, came up a little short or rolled into a bush a little long.

This is an exceptionally easy throw for almost anyone competing, if you can get up and down from 50-60' then you can place your throw there in a good position, but instead of accepting that they made a bad throw and moving on to the next one, almost everyone chose to get mad at themselves for putting themselves in a bad position that they don't get to in practice, and not focusing on their next throw because it is "easy".

After watching this I've found myself there twice in the last several rounds, both times I've picked the ideal place to land, picked the shot shape to get it there and found the best place for me to aim and placed it exactly where I wanted and gotten up and down for par. Not because I'm any better than some of the people I watched, several of whom are 50+ higher rated than I am and among the best in tougher divisions than mine, but because I remembered that A) every shot counts the same and B) you can't undo your mistakes by getting upset at them, only compound them by being in the wrong state of mind.

Now, if I could do that every time I'd quickly be a top 10 player in my area, but that's going to take a lot of experience and practice.

Last edited:
I'm not much into any sort of holistic mumbo jumbo stuff or envisioning anything and I don't have to give myself any sort of confidence boosting pep talks.

The mental aspect of my game is remaining calm and level headed and moving on from a mistake without letting it get into my head and affecting the rest of my round. I pretty much know the limits of my physical abilities and don't ruin my game by trying to force a shot that I know I have a low percentage of making.

Playing within your own game and not letting mistakes on the course rattle you will always give you your best rounds. This seems to be much easier as a person gets older and wiser. I love putting a smack down on people half my age and watch them ruining their game from the frustration of forcing shots they can't make, making bad decisions on the course, and the whole thing just snowballs and throws their entire game off.

I'm not much into any sort of holistic mumbo jumbo stuff or envisioning anything and I don't have to give myself any sort of confidence boosting pep talks.

The mental aspect of my game is remaining calm and level headed and moving on from a mistake without letting it get into my head and affecting the rest of my round. I pretty much know the limits of my physical abilities and don't ruin my game by trying to force a shot that I know I have a low percentage of making.

Playing within your own game and not letting mistakes on the course rattle you will always give you your best rounds. This seems to be much easier as a person gets older and wiser. I love putting a smack down on people half my age and watch them ruining their game from the frustration of forcing shots they can't make, making bad decisions on the course, and the whole thing just snowballs and throws their entire game off.

Most everything about our culture now gives people hummingbird brain. It's really, really unlikely that a person can see that at a young age and counteract what is environmental.

If something makes us feel unpleasant, like a mistake, it's pretty easy to turn away and disengage because there are 200 other things right there to choose from.

I don't see much of a dividing line between the "mumbo jumbo" and what you are describing. Thing is, self help is the biggest section in any bookstore for a reason. Using language to help people see themselves with a little objectivity, or even better, notice themselves while they are thinking and sabotaging themselves, is not easy. One person latches onto one sort of language, another responds to something different.

One thing for sure is that as a species we've evolved over a very long time and there's nothing new going on, just people struggling through and sharing ways that worked for them. And also, making money off the process.

On my local competitive course there is a par 4 hole with a mandatory tree a little more than half-way down the fairway which creates a dogleg left. The play is a RHBH (or a similar type for lefties) that lands in a landing area roughly the size of circle 1 about 270' down the fairway just past the mando. If you leave it a little bit short you can land in an open area left of the mando without having passed the mandatory line.

I was spotting a tournaments a couple of weeks back and spotted pretty much every division over the weekend aside from FPO and MPO. I saw dozens of people land 15-45' short of the mando and have an easy putt to get themselves into a great position to save par. Almost everyone walked up to their lie, disappointed with their drive, and quickly threw the disc in the general direction of the ideal landing area, and probably over 2/3 of them hit a tree, came up a little short or rolled into a bush a little long.

This is an exceptionally easy throw for almost anyone competing, if you can get up and down from 50-60' then you can place your throw there in a good position, but instead of accepting that they made a bad throw and moving on to the next one, almost everyone chose to get mad at themselves for putting themselves in a bad position that they don't get to in practice, and not focusing on their next throw because it is "easy".

After watching this I've found myself there twice in the last several rounds, both times I've picked the ideal place to land, picked the shot shape to get it there and found the best place for me to aim and placed it exactly where I wanted and gotten up and down for par. Not because I'm any better than some of the people I watched, several of whom are 50+ higher rated than I am and among the best in tougher divisions than mine, but because I remembered that A) every shot counts the same and B) you can't undo your mistakes by getting upset at them, only compound them by being in the wrong state of mind.

Now, if I could do that every time I'd quickly be a top 10 player in my area, but that's going to take a lot of experience and practice.

I used to (and sometimes still do) end up with a lie where I say damn....I wish my lie was 'over there' instead. And yet my existing lie is actually a good one.

I'm also trying to focus on the 'immediate need' not the end result. There's a mando? Let me focus on just "making" the mando. There's two trees off the tee pad that I need to miss, let me focus on just missing the trees (actually focus on hitting the gap).

There's a hole with a mando about 50 feet from the tee pad. You have to stay right of it. There's a bit of trees to contend with if your throw is off, but it's not too hard to make C1 from the tee pad. I've seen players who's sole thought is to go for it and they miss the mando. I've started focusing on just making the mando and not being concerned about anything else....amazingly, once I started doing that, I've been landing in C1.

I'm also trying to ignore my last throw. Okay, the throw didn't end up where I intended. That throw is done with, I can't change it....this is my lie and nothing else matters...what can I do from the lie I have right now?

I pick out a target that I can't reach every throw. I only care about starting the disc on that line not actually throwing it all the way there. in ball golf I pick out a cloud in the sky (tough to do on clear days) and simply try to follow thru along that line.

Latest posts