• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mental Game of Disc

Flyguy46

Par Member
Premium Member
I have been working on technique with my return to disc golf. I have a long ways to go on the physical bit I am improving every day.

I have added a little something extra to my personal improvement recently. I am super stoked to say I am reading a book from the world of ball golf.

The book is, Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella. This is a book not about physical technique but about mental technique. It is about the mindset of a golfer. I recognizing much of what he speaks about when it comes to a positive mindset.

I wanted to know, does anyone here have any mental practices they use on the disc golf course? And if so, what are they?

I'm new, too, and you'll probably find as many answers as there are players. That said, concentration is something you can expand with practice. You may also find that talking to yourself in your head is counterproductive as you can interrupt yourself in process and make a hash of things. We are also very different on different days, so anything like disc golf is a way to check yourself and see where you are at in the moment.

One of the biggest reasons I play is to force myself out of my head and into my body. There are a few things that have helped me increase my concentration, stop my internal monologue, and be more consistent day to day. One of those is the board game GO. It requires total concentration. I'm not good at it, but playing consistently has increased my ability to concentrate over longer periods. Another is the concept of Mantra like so many Eastern religions practice, which put simply is creating a sound or chant that you can repeat that overrides the language in your head. It's like giving a dog a bone to chew on. Your body is then free of being pestered by your head. On top of this, being somewhat purposeful about breathing is obviously a way to center yourself.

In addition to this, nutrition and hydration really can goof up your head. If you are dehydrated your head will be more jittery.

Not all of these are "on the course", but they influence me on the course. I tend to be verbal in my own head about disc choice and my shot shapes, but then I turn the language off and try and execute without interrupting myself. It's the recursive mind—the second guessing while in motion—that is a killer. You'll hear people say "I didn't commit to that shot". I think part of that is second guessing the shot in mid stream.

On top of all this, simply getting outside more always helps. The more you can be outside the better you'll do. I spent much of my 20s and 30s backpacking in small groups. There's something that happens on about the third day of walking where your nervous energy is gone and everyone syncs up and starts functioning better. Your feet get more sure and confident. You are more comfortable just breathing and being.

I always appreciate playing disc golf with someone who is not constantly chattering. I play by myself most of the time, lol

I've also heard people say, in terms of form, to work on one thing at a time, or not too many things. I think that's gold. Let yourself not care about everything and focus on one thing and let the score ride. It's all about neuroburn and allowing you body to get the feel of doing something right. If you get a good shot off, stop and remember how it felt and rerun that a few times after the round. Your body is smarter than your words. It's faster and can do more. Words jam it up.

I have been working on technique with my return to disc golf. I have a long ways to go on the physical bit I am improving every day.

I have added a little something extra to my personal improvement recently. I am super stoked to say I am reading a book from the world of ball golf.

The book is, Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella. This is a book not about physical technique but about mental technique. It is about the mindset of a golfer. I recognizing much of what he speaks about when it comes to a positive mindset.

I wanted to know, does anyone here have any mental practices they use on the disc golf course? And if so, what are they?

That book gets referenced here real often. I haven't read it, because I don't like that sort of book.

Mental practices? What I most want is to learn and to stay honest. I don't believe that a lot of hyper-positive self-talk improves performance, no matter what the anecdotes say. Accurately assess your abilities and operate realistically within them. That's the only way I can make sense of the fact that I regularly outscore players I can't outperform.

A positive mindset can't hurt, but an unrealistic one can.

A healthy positive mindset doesn't come from mantras and mind tricks, but from a healthy life.

Armus, it's referenced for a reason. It's a small book, give it a read!! Might help you believe it or not...

It isn't just "The Secret" in golf form I promise.

So am I correct in believing that you have read this book? Did you find anything that you liked? Just curious.

I'm new, too, and you'll probably find as many answers as there are players. That said, concentration is something you can expand with practice. You may also find that talking to yourself in your head is counterproductive as you can interrupt yourself in process and make a hash of things. We are also very different on different days, so anything like disc golf is a way to check yourself and see where you are at in the moment.

One of the biggest reasons I play is to force myself out of my head and into my body. There are a few things that have helped me increase my concentration, stop my internal monologue, and be more consistent day to day. One of those is the board game GO. It requires total concentration. I'm not good at it, but playing consistently has increased my ability to concentrate over longer periods. Another is the concept of Mantra like so many Eastern religions practice, which put simply is creating a sound or chant that you can repeat that overrides the language in your head. It's like giving a dog a bone to chew on. Your body is then free of being pestered by your head. On top of this, being somewhat purposeful about breathing is obviously a way to center yourself.

In addition to this, nutrition and hydration really can goof up your head. If you are dehydrated your head will be more jittery.

Not all of these are "on the course", but they influence me on the course. I tend to be verbal in my own head about disc choice and my shot shapes, but then I turn the language off and try and execute without interrupting myself. It's the recursive mind—the second guessing while in motion—that is a killer. You'll hear people say "I didn't commit to that shot". I think part of that is second guessing the shot in mid stream.

On top of all this, simply getting outside more always helps. The more you can be outside the better you'll do. I spent much of my 20s and 30s backpacking in small groups. There's something that happens on about the third day of walking where your nervous energy is gone and everyone syncs up and starts functioning better. Your feet get more sure and confident. You are more comfortable just breathing and being.

I always appreciate playing disc golf with someone who is not constantly chattering. I play by myself most of the time, lol

I've also heard people say, in terms of form, to work on one thing at a time, or not too many things. I think that's gold. Let yourself not care about everything and focus on one thing and let the score ride. It's all about neuroburn and allowing you body to get the feel of doing something right. If you get a good shot off, stop and remember how it felt and rerun that a few times after the round. Your body is smarter than your words. It's faster and can do more. Words jam it up.

I hear you on all points there. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. I do prefer to play by myself or with one other. It is interesting that you say you use a mantra to kill your inner dialog. I am learning to do the same thing.

I hear you on all points there. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. I do prefer to play by myself or with one other. It is interesting that you say you use a mantra to kill your inner dialog. I am learning to do the same thing.

I played behind a group today and they were throwing wild and missing puts over puts by the 14th hole. It's easy to let problems or what you are going to do next or even the next throw get in the way of the moment.

You can slag it off as mind tricks or whatever, but those are just words.

To simplify my point, if you push yourself into activities that demand more concentration than a disc golf round then the disc golf round becomes more in grasp.

I'm old and inconsistent, but I can keep my head together, and that helps with scrambling and not throwing strokes away. I believe it also help accelerate your learning and keeps frustration at bay.

So am I correct in believing that you have read this book? Did you find anything that you liked? Just curious.

Correct. I've read it twice (late to the party) and I'll read it again in another year or so...it's maybe 160 small pages? Probably closer to 140.

I'm no schill, but I truly do recommend reading it yourself. Last I checked the soft back is like $8.

That ain't the kind of help I want.

Um. Godspeed? Not gonna read too far into this response sorry

Last edited:
It is a mental game for sure.

Success can be your worst enemy. You make a miracle throw and now you try to repeat that, end up in trouble over and over.

So, don't multiply errors.

Know your game. Plan your throws within your skill set as much as practical. Not your hero shot.

Trust yourself. Most of my rounds are casual. Today I setup on a 20' putt that I know I should make. It flies 2' wide right. I pick up my darker disc and casually flick it in the basket. Why? When it counted I choked. So work on that mental game where you don't over think it.

It is a mental game for sure.

Success can be your worst enemy. You make a miracle throw and now you try to repeat that, end up in trouble over and over.

So, don't multiply errors.

Know your game. Plan your throws within your skill set as much as practical. Not your hero shot.

Trust yourself. Most of my rounds are casual. Today I setup on a 20' putt that I know I should make. It flies 2' wide right. I pick up my darker disc and casually flick it in the basket. Why? When it counted I choked. So work on that mental game where you don't over think it.

Funny you say that, as a matter of fact a few days ago I was practicing putts. I nailed a 30' putt just literally flicking the disc. Feeling like I wanted to repeat it I went through the motions of repeating and sailed the disc at least 5 feet high and too the left. Got mad and went through the motion s and parked it below the basket. Fourth one I said screw it and flicked it in!

Mental practices? What I most want is to learn and to stay honest.

How are you staying honest within your own mental framework if you espouse negative reviews of text you have never read?

Not picking a fight, but your own words betray that you aren't operating in the way that you, yourself, asserted as optimal.

How are you staying honest within your own mental framework if you espouse negative reviews of text you have never read?

Not picking a fight, but your own words betray that you aren't operating in the way that you, yourself, asserted as optimal.

You lost me.

I've got my own views about sports psychology (or whatever term most accurately applies), and my own mental attitude that renders the sort of self-help offered by a particular sort of book unnecessary. How this can be twisted into dishonesty I'm not quite sure. I'm not criticizing other's use of the book, or the text itself. I have never heard or made any negative review of it.

I don't always do it, but sometimes I spend an extra 5-10 seconds "calculating" everything I know about the shot, disc, conditions, etc. just before throwing. honestly, it's kinda creepy and computer like, even though I hate that kind of stuff.

surprisingly, it is often successful. what the hell. see if it helps you and good luck.

You lost me.

I've got my own views about sports psychology (or whatever term most accurately applies), and my own mental attitude that renders the sort of self-help offered by a particular sort of book unnecessary. How this can be twisted into dishonesty I'm not quite sure. I'm not criticizing other's use of the book, or the text itself. I have never heard or made any negative review of it.

That's just it lol. You haven't read it, but claim to know the 'type' of book it is, as if that is a valuable analysis. So, you have rendered the content of this book into a concept in your mind, and discarded it, without reading it. To me that isn't an honest way to think, but you do you man.

This may seem trite, but as our founder stated, whoever has the most fun wins. When we get too far off this mindset, anger sets in, then stress. Stress contracts our muscles and the muscle memory developed for a particular throw is now lost. Especially putting.

My gameplay improved a fair amount when I stopped keeping score. I know why play the game then? I am trying to reincorporate scoring into my rounds, so far so good...

I have not read this book, but it is on my list.

I think the mental part of disc golf is similar to all games and sports. Much of success can be attributed to athletic prowess. But, continued improvement can be achieved.

On the course, I use visualization. Seeing the shot and throw in my mind. I have been playing for a while and muscle memory can be a friend and foe. Once on the tee box, I honestly don't worry about some parts of my throw, at the moment that is foot work, grip....I do run a bit of a mental check list. Currently on that list is keeping the disc close to me and accelerating through the hit. This list changes, all the time. Making a great throw is not the entire goal though, it is the ability to repeat the throw that is the catch. When things are going well, my mind is quiet and calm. That is often my primary struggle. I often am simply not willing to make the commitment to that kind of concentration. That is ok though. I am not going to beat myself up for just going out and having fun.

ru4por,

I like to hear this from another player. What is amazing is that your take on the mental side of how you play, Bob Rotella suggests to his clients when they go out. Confidence in his opinion overrides technique when in a pressure situation.

That is not to say that technique is not important. He espouses that once the technique has been dialed in and becomes habit the mental game takes over and it comes down to trusting yourself and your "club" selection. Questioning yourself and your technique only breaks down your confidence and your ability to carry a low score all the way through a round.

Latest posts