• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Super DG Me - 1000 for 30

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Thought I'd share here as most probably won't check out my blog. So, in order to hold myself accountable to this community, and share with this community my progress, I'll keep this thread updated.

Anybody ever done anything like this before? Let me hear your comments, feel free to point out any major flaws.
As posted in my blog:

A disc golf training experiment

My disc golf game has been at an inconsistent plateau. I'm confident in my physical ability, it's my mental game that is the road block, and the closer I get to the basket, the less consistent I am.

I've read about putting technique, watched videos, explored different approaches to putting practice, tried different practice routines, and talked to incredible putters around the country. I've met the gifted players who's practice routine was 10 putts before the tournament and it was game on, they were few and far between and I've learned I'm not one of them. Nearly invariably though the best putters preach endless practice, an obsessive amount of practice, thousands and thousands of putts. So, in a serious attempt to improve my game, the next 30 days will be my journey into an intense practice routine by making two major changes to my game.

First off, focusing on the mental aspect of the game I'm going to live by "Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game." It is a highly regarded book on the mental game of ball golf, that easily translates to disc golf. I will listen to the audio book, in 20-30 minute blocks of time focusing on the lessons learned, most likely working my way through the audio book several times in the next 30 days.

And, in addition to my current practice routine of playing at least a round per day, I will throw 1000 putts each day. 1000 putts broken up into blocks of 100, each block of 100 will have its own focus (a variety of distance, indoor, outdoor, wind directions, etc) with at least one round of pp360 each day (1 indoor control to monitor improvements). Putts will be thrown in rapid succession of 10 (pp360 will reset between each shot). 1000 should be attainable on most days in this time frame, If 1000 proves to be too many per day, I may drop to 500 on days that life may be busier, but no less than 500.

Goals.
Abstract: Build muscle memory, improve confidence, and putting performance. Master the mental aspect of the game.
Smart: Shoot -10 at Bancroft. Shoot -10 at Riverland. Top 3 at the Albert Lea Big Freeze (Day 10 of experiment). Top 15 showing in MA1 at BG Ams (3 weeks after conclusion of experiment). Monitor improvements in PP360 scores.

I think 1000 is kinda pushing it unless you split into morning or afternoon. 500 should definitely be doable. You'd be surprised how little time it takes to go through 100 putts. I try to putt a couple of hundred a night this winter. I'm not able to do it every night because sometimes life gets in the way, but I do get to putt 3-4 times per week. So far this has helped my putting game tremendously and as a result I don't ever plan on stopping :)

One thing to note is that I found some days my putting is better than others, just like in actual rounds. On my really off days I give it a try for about 50-100 putts, but if I can't get it together before the 100 putts are up, I just call it a night and try again another day. Otherwise I just end up getting frustrated and then start tweaking my form and it just gets worse from there. So yeah... If you have a bad day, just stop what you're doing and relax. Try again later. Don't let it get to your head. You want to keep that confidence up.

One thing to note is that I found some days my putting is better than others, just like in actual rounds. On my really off days I give it a try for about 50-100 putts, but if I can't get it together before the 100 putts are up, I just call it a night and try again another day.

I agree completely, I am a 960 rated player so take my advice with that in mind(good or bad). On my putting practice days if I am not putting well it is not worth spending the hour or so I am planning on practicing due to the flawed form I will end up developing. Why practice poorly is the way I feel about it.

This might not be the case, and with 1000 putts you might break through that bad putting issue day to day.

Also just a thought 1000 is a big number, you might want to change the amount per day to taper off by the end of the week. Again it is not worth putting poorly and practicing a bad habit if by the 950th putt if you arent even hitting chains due to a tired arm. Yes muscle memory is key but a muscle that is worn out isnt remembering anything.

Quality VS Quantity

One thing to note is that I found some days my putting is better than others, just like in actual rounds. On my really off days I give it a try for about 50-100 putts, but if I can't get it together before the 100 putts are up, I just call it a night and try again another day. Otherwise I just end up getting frustrated and then start tweaking my form and it just gets worse from there. So yeah... If you have a bad day, just stop what you're doing and relax. Try again later. Don't let it get to your head. You want to keep that confidence up.

Notro and the doc are absolutely spot on. The correct version of the old adage is perfect practice makes perfect. If you're not cranking those putts in, if you feel something's "off" (particularly if it feels like an aberration), or if your form, release point, balance, etc. is inconsistent -- for all means, stop putting. The last thing you want to do is practice doing things wrong, because that builds muscle memory, too.

And also, given your commitment to the number of putts, I'd do the first half of each set from 20 ft. To really move your scores, being 99% effective and 100% confident from 20 feet in is humongous. Then do the second half in unit sets (as you prefer) of 25ft, 30ft, 35ft, and maybe 40, in random order. But that's it. This is the type of practice that has helped me a lot. (though I didn't ever commit to 500 at a time -- that's commendable)

Yeah, I feel like I can only throw so many putts before some part of my body starts getting tired and my putts suffer as a result. I usually putt in sets of 50-100 with 10-20min breaks in between.

I'm starting to do at least 400 a day. Did 200 before work and another 200 after. All from 20' and keeping track of how many I make. Sadly the number of putts made from that distance is not where I want it to be (around 75%), I'd like to get it up above 90%. Once I feel I have achieved it I will increase the distance.

Super DG Me - Day 1

Data.

15′ – 100 indoor
20′ – 200 indoor 100 outdoor
25′ – 300 indoor 200 outdoor

PP360: 61 + 88 = 149

Observations.

1000 putts is indeed a large number, not insurmountable, but at about 15 minutes per 100 putt block, in real time ~3-4 hours each day is now devoted to putting. Will it be hard to keep at it? Yes – it will be draining. I'm confident that I'll be able to do it.

My muscles are not sore, I feel a slight ache, but I feel that my body should be in shape for this task.

A slight variety in disc textures is immediately noticeable in throwing 10 different putters, I think it will be important to purchase 10 exact discs for this experiment.

The rapid succession of putts has limited my movement in between putts. The fundamentals of my putt are the same, but the motions have become abbreviated. I'm finding this to be a good thing – less movement = less room for error.

Patterns in putting. I did not keep track of how many out of 1000 I made throughout the day. Besides abbreviated motions, the adjustments I made throughout the day were mostly mental – not necessarily being concerned about how many I was making, not making adjustments to my form, but taking notice of patterns and how they related to my thought process. The more I could focus on the goal (a single link in the chain) and keep my mind clear of all other distractions, the more consistent I was all around – cleaner releases, smoother weight transfer, truer flights.

PP360
100% at 10′
90% at 15′ – the missed putts were definitely a mental lapse
75% at 20′
55% at 25′ – interestingly only hit 3 the first round and 8 the second round
60% at 30′ – better than 25'? cool
I felt the pressure putts, I believe that this game will be a great measure of improvements during this experiment, it takes technique and conquering of the mental game.

Heh heh.
My buddy and I were headed to Idaho in '93 for some big water kayaking. We decided to follow a regimen of 50 rolls a night in the week before we left. In Lake Union and Shilshoe Bay, WA.
We were so wasted from the rolls that we could barely kayak the first few days. On the other hand, we didn't have any swims that summer.

1000 putts per day is a lot. I would be surprised if you can keep it up. I think the hardest part is keeping the quality for that many putts. It is also easy to lose focus and start throwing mindless putts, sometimes using your normal routine and sometimes not. I wish you luck.

I agree completely, I am a 960 rated player so take my advice with that in mind(good or bad). On my putting practice days if I am not putting well it is not worth spending the hour or so I am planning on practicing due to the flawed form I will end up developing. Why practice poorly is the way I feel about it.

This might not be the case, and with 1000 putts you might break through that bad putting issue day to day.

Also just a thought 1000 is a big number, you might want to change the amount per day to taper off by the end of the week. Again it is not worth putting poorly and practicing a bad habit if by the 950th putt if you arent even hitting chains due to a tired arm. Yes muscle memory is key but a muscle that is worn out isnt remembering anything.

Quality VS Quantity

While I agree with you to some extent, there is some value in practicing on "off" days as it will help to make adjustments. If you are in a tournament and having an "off" day, you can't just quit. You have to learn to make adjustments in order to turn your round or day around. Learning how to make those adjustments is best during practice time.

"Off day" is an interesting concept - I had an instructor that to "today is not my day" would respond "no days are yours, the day will continue on with or without you there" (or something along those lines) and would go into explaining how a greater open mind view of life would prove beneficial.

Throughout my DG life, I've definitely had "those days" and often used the excuse "some days I can putt, some days I can't" and like dstearns said, often "those days" will line up with a tournament round. Part of what I need to learn and part of what the Zen concept is about is learning what is creating these days, how to minimize them and work through them when they come about. I don't see how quitting could help. I've found it rather incredible how much I notice on my 48th putt of my 300th set of the day.

Maybe try starting at 3 sets of 100 and gradually add sets until you feel it is a reasonable amount for a day . . . thats what I would do but you may be more committed to practice than I ever have been. So do what you feel is best, I just couldnt remain focussed for 1000 putts a day. I get to the end of a 10 disc stack and I am not following the same routine.

I agree with those that suggest pushing through the "bad days". My own suggestion is to wear yourself out with aerobic exercise somewhere around the 750 putt mark. In any sport your form will suffer as you tire out. However, you can still force your body to bend to your will. If you can hit a 25 foot putt after you have done knocked out push-ups, sit-ups, wind sprints, whatever, then your mental game is spot on.

Kinda like a runners' high. When you push through that physical barrier forcing your body to perform even though you are exhausted, you will discover that you were never really tired at all. Very "zen"

Super DG Me - Day 2

500 putts before 10 am, and then it was out to the course. Will I see results after 1.5 days, 1500 putts and some mind expanding exercises? I think it was about hole 5 that I felt the answer. Stepping up to the tee I visualized, focused on my target, ran through a simple breathing exercise, released all tension and let my drone rip on a line directly at the basket. I approached the basket expecting to see it parked only to see it 25 feet into the brush - big skip. I crawl my way into the crap line up an awkward shot, commit to a line, and give it a run that skips off the rim of the basket and 25' past. A perfect opportunity for my putting practice to shine. I line up my shot, breathe, commit, nail the left side of the chains and onto the ground. I dropped in the bogey and smile - about the time I'd normally start cursing internally, I nod to myself and realize this is the moment that I can conquer the mental game.

Or more correctly (realistically) this is where it starts. I've had the pieces to this puzzle, they've been relatively abstract. I'm starting to see the pieces with some clarity. The next 28 days is going to be good. I feel it, I'm so excited to put these pieces together.

Data.

Round Scores

18 holes at Bancroft - 53
18 holes at Bancroft - 50

Putts

15' - 200 inside 100 outside
20' - 200 inside 100 outside
25' - 200 inside 100 outside

PP360
83+84 = 167

10' - %100
15' - %100
20' - %75
25' - %75
30' - %35

Well... I figure it's time I pony up and commit to some sort of routine like this...

I knew I bought 6 Ions for a reason...

Whatever number of practice putts you choose, make sure that you treat each one like it's a putt to win a match. I've seen a lot of great practice putters that consistently fall short when it counts. Practice putters don't put any pressure on themselves during practice, in the immortal words of Alan Iverson "hey, it's practice", but it's not the same as standing over a 25'er on the 18th hole with the tournament on the line.

Once you've dialed in your style and routine, make sure you take the same approach and amount of time for each one. Use the same follow through. Maybe even back away and step up each time. This is the muscle memory you want to burn in. If this means you only have time for 500 instead of 1000 I still think you'll be better off.