• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

a little noob friendly tip for when the tee pads are wet/slick:

put a towel on the teepad where your plant foot will land. it will ease the "whoa, crap, i'm gonna slip if i let this rip" feeling.

These are things decided by the TD of the tournament. Usually there are 4 rounds at the course, two on each day. That being said, you would need to email the TD and ask them for clarification.

Thanks.
Are they usually for a tiers and NT's?
If I had seen one posted I wouldn't have even asked my og question, but I've never seen or been to one besides am nats.
I've heard michigans dg scene is different, for example lacking a tiers, but do others commonly have two day events?

There are a lot of two day events around here in NC, usually one every weekend within driving distance of Raleigh. Almost all of the ones I've been to have been 4 rounds at an 18 hole course. Some do three rounds and then a final 9 for the top 4 players of each division instead of the four round.

It got grandfathered in to the PDGA legal discs lists.

I know a guy who was a baseball pitcher in college, he can tomahawk an epic over 500 feet. It will flip 2 complete circles in the air and then do a double "S" and flatten out and land. Its an amazing site...you need massive arm power to do this though...

I just read this thread from the beginning, I feel like I read a short novel...theres some good info in here though, minus dude on the bikes witty comments.:popcorn:

I know a guy who was a baseball pitcher in college, he can tomahawk an epic over 500 feet. It will flip 2 complete circles in the air and then do a double "S" and flatten out and land. Its an amazing site...you need massive arm power to do this though...

I just read this thread from the beginning, I feel like I read a short novel...theres some good info in here though, minus dude on the bikes witty comments.:popcorn:

my cousin used to play college baseball. he tried out for the cubs and didn't make it because he was too short and skinny. he's 5' 6" and maaaaybe 175 pounds. but he chucks an epic too. when he first got it, on the 4th or 5th throw, it flipped twice, leveled out and soared out of sight.

he threw it from #5's tee at Rogers Lakewood, and the friggin thing almost landed in the lake that's in play on #2 :eek:

edit: he was catcher

Last edited:
Terry G, an up and coming pro here, was a MiLB pitcher/outfielder who made the Rays but failed his physical. he can throw a thumber massively far.

Also you can barrel roll any really understable disc if you have the arm for it. Schwebby has barrel-rolled a thrashed thrashed kc pro eagle before.

barrel roll it by just throwing it BH?

i got a question about over hand shots. i throw maybe one a year and when i do, it's with my pearly champ orc. my question is, what kind of discs are better for throwing overhand? overstable or understable?

edit: when i do it, it's tomahawked. not thumbed; those just slip out for me.

what kind of discs are better for throwing overhand? overstable or understable?

overstable once you learn how to throw it, generally. depends on what you want the disc to do at the end as well. pancake, spike, skip. understable plastic will turn faster and usually results in a spike finish for me. I use a champ sidewinder as my get out of trouble OH disc because I don't need to throw it hard to make it work, and generally if I am throwing it I have a crappy lie or tight space to work with.

anyway to answer your question: throw what works for you. Understable discs will flip quicker than over stable discs, so if you need an overhand shot for a short, tight shot throw an understable disc. If you need a disc to take a while to turn to miss a tree or whatever, throw a more stable disc.

if nothing else it is quite useful to learn how to throw putter tomahawks that will land flat and slide forward.

speaking of useful putter shots, i've been practicing my "elevator shot" over my shed in the backyard. i landed a few directly on top of the basket :\

I hate the elevator putt (b/c I am bad at it (screw that shot (it sucks (ok I suck at it (stop making me confront my shortcomings elevator putt))))).

you need emotional content

73001E00A3A0437C2ABAB8_Large.jpg