• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

why do people always suggest the Leopard as a great beginer mid/driver?
looking @ the numbers why not the Mako? (i don't want a better then flame war just a basic explanation....)

also why does my Z Buzzzzzzzz seem to hook hard right? Not enough power , or spin, or both , or?

how are holes measured? Is it a straight line from end of tee to the pin?

or the easiest/suggested flight path?

or?
Generally as the crow flies unless it curves hard I think.
why do people always suggest the Leopard as a great beginer mid/driver?
looking @ the numbers why not the Mako? (i don't want a better then flame war just a basic explanation....)

also why does my Z Buzzzzzzzz seem to hook hard right? Not enough power , or spin, or both , or?
Well, which is it? You're comparing a driver (Leo) to a mid (Mako). They're a little different. The Leopard is a great beginner driver because it:
  1. Comes in a large variety of readily accessible plastics and weights.
  2. Is slow and easy to get to speed.
  3. Is stable to understable (depending on plastic), making it easy to manipulate the flight.
  4. Has a cute little kitty on it.
The Mako is a solid midrange for anyone, but only comes in Star and Champ (limited), meaning it's not an OG or vanguard in the Innova family.

RE: Buzzz,
You're a lefty right? You're either not getting enough spin or speed on it. Some new Z Buzzzes can be piggish, just keep working on it.

thanks for the distance answer...

sorry on the comparison... I was thinking the leo was a mid... I see now! It's a great first driver... Why don't people suggest the Mako instead of the Roc then? Or even the shark instead of the Roc... As it has less fade?

what do you mean by OG or vangaurd? (original gangster? Lol)

I am a Lefty...im going to work on the Beto drills this weekend! So a little more snap and power should straighten it out? & when they say "beat in" .... How do you know the disc is there?

thanks for the distance answer...

sorry on the comparison... I was thinking the leo was a mid... I see now! It's a great first driver... Why don't people suggest the Mako instead of the Roc then? Or even the shark instead of the Roc... As it has less fade?
The real answer is that the Roc has been a staple of DG bags forever and has many fanboys. The Mako is a new kid on the block. In basketball terms, the Roc is Michael Jordan, the Buzzz is LeBron James, and the Mako is, uhm, Derrick Rose. The Mako is generally a better mid for beginners as it is more neutral in stability than an overstable Roc but Rocs (especially DX and to a lesser extent, KC Pro) can be beaten to the same stability as a Mako pretty easily. Tons of guys like to cycle Rocs (new for overstable, seasoned for stable, beat for understable) and it's generally a good idea for beginners to stick with fewer molds (hence the allure of throwing just Rocs for a beginner). Honestly, it just boils down to opinion on Roc vs Mako (or Shark), there is no right or wrong way to go there. Now Drones or Gators on the other hand...
what do you mean by OG or vangaurd? (original gangster? Lol)
I literally meant original gangsta, Rocs are old blood.
I am a Lefty...im going to work on the Beto drills this weekend! So a little more snap and power should straighten it out? & when they say "beat in" .... How do you know the disc is there?
Yes, more spin makes a disc go straight, more speed can turn a disc over if the disc's cruising speed is surpassed.

It's hard to know how beat your disc is if you have a lot of OAT/bad form. It really takes trial and error and comparative analysis to figure out wear. But basically, if new disc X is harder to flip than old disc X, old disc X is beat in more.

TOURNEY QUESTION

Ok so can someone breakdown how an average tourney plays out.
I think I have an idea, but not positive
You have a meeting
Throw one round.....then what?

they tally scores while you get a lunch break (normally an hour after the last card is turned in) play second round at time given by TD. Then rewards if its a one dayer or go home and be back at time stated by TD for 3rd round.

With the whole roc suggestion thing....

The roc flies how most good discs fly- lil turn, dependable fade.
If you have all flippy discs you'll never learn to love fade and possibly be all "wtf" on the majority of discs.
The roc, while being moderatly overstable, isn't very oat tolerant- and issue that plagues many new players- so it promotes clean form.
Being a lil slower then most of the new mids, it promotes leaning to throw higher- another barrier for most new folks to break.
While the flippers may be a lil easier to throw at first, its a mid- so it shouldn't be that complicated- so while its more overstable, it also has more versitility- it can take almost anyline, try flexing a mako.

As far as the leo suggestion- not me. I suggest either cyclones of gazelles, much more roc like. If looking for a more "driverish" mold, then I suggest xl's or jls'. Leo's are for girls;)

Ctp usually occur on the course during the event and are usually division based, with a couple divisions competeing for the same ctp's.
Other games are usually before 1st rd, during lunch, or right before awards.

Usually, only division mates will play together but sometimes it'll be mixed- say am3 has 13 players and am4 has 11. The lowest shooter in am3 may have to play their 2nd rd on a card with novices. They would still be competing in am 3.

With the whole roc suggestion thing....

The roc flies how most good discs fly- lil turn, dependable fade.
If you have all flippy discs you'll never learn to love fade and possibly be all "wtf" on the majority of discs.
The roc, while being moderatly overstable, isn't very oat tolerant- and issue that plagues many new players- so it promotes clean form.
Being a lil slower then most of the new mids, it promotes leaning to throw higher- another barrier for most new folks to break.
While the flippers may be a lil easier to throw at first, its a mid- so it shouldn't be that complicated- so while its more overstable, it also has more versitility- it can take almost anyline, try flexing a mako.

As far as the leo suggestion- not me. I suggest either cyclones of gazelles, much more roc like. If looking for a more "driverish" mold, then I suggest xl's or jls'. Leo's are for girls;)[/QUOTE]

I literally fainted from what I just read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Would a Champion 155 g Gazelle and a 150 Champion Eagle-L be too much of an overlap? I found one to buy, but I just ordered two Eagles. I haven't thrown them yet, should I just wait?

TBH, I can't imagine what role I would see the Gazzie playing right now. My gap in driver/mid is not too great...nothing I couldn't fill with an overstable disc, either forehand, backhand, or thumber.

Latest posts